Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

[quote name='sidari'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]The more he talks, the angrier I get.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] ... Don`t listen then! would not want you keeling over (no pun intended) thinking about it .... :eek:

So dependant upon which Schettino you believe or not as the case may be no one can point out how he got from the rock to the harbour on Giglio though he had wet socks? no one saw him there on the rock passenger wise, no one saw him and the anonymous 12 get into the liefboat and no one saw any of them leave.

If the lifeboat engine failed who towed the drifting empty lifeboat back to the harbour ?

Those named in the court documents will have been told by their council not to speak about what happened nor to speak to the others involved i would imagine.

Somone mentioned a few posts back about a conspiracy between those onboard, so the possibility exists that those who will face the court could have been the people in the mystery lifeboat, after all why was the hotel Manager going down to the Engine room to see what had happened as he has claimed on TV programmes? surely one of the deck officers would be responsible for that.

One of the phone calls from the Coastguard to Schettino was logged sometime after midnight around 12-30am which is when Schettino told them he was in a lifeboat assesing how to continue rescues! if that was in fact the case he could not have been seen on land at 11-40pm.

Watertheodds ..... Interesting reply you got there re the lifeboats, so taking what was said in the reply the chances are that maybe only 6 people would have been left officer wise normally to see everyone was off a ship most of the others being in charge of lifeboats.

[U][B][COLOR=red]Excluding the guy on land how many are facing charges ?[/COLOR][/B][/U]

Schettino, [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#333333]Ciro Ambrosio, Jacob Rusli Bin, Silvia Coronica, Manrico Giampedroni and Roberto Ferrarini [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#333333][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#333333]AND - you are welcome!....to everyone that thanked me for the translation. It is confusing in places but clear enough to get the meat and bones. I certainly wanted to read it and thought others on this thread would too.[/COLOR][/FONT]

One thing that did make me read in silence......

The names and locations where the people died. Reading the translation made it more real about where these poor people were left to fall into the water and die. No one came......

How terrible.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Water, the translations were pretty clear as to the charges. There might have been some he/she ID issues but that has no effect on our understanding. I've actually noticed that in many articles that are translated we get a she when it should be a he or he when it's a she.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]I don't think we would have received the same clear information from any news article so what you did for us was very much appreciated.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Malnik, I agree. Terrible way for all of them to lose their lives. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

CT .... Me cheer for Captain Schettino ? wherever did you get that idea from ? i have a different point of view and an open mind not a closed one which i have always stated, but i have always stood by the fact that he would be found guilty!

A few reminders ....

There is more to the Concordia accident than certain people like to or want to believe or admit to themselves and others and those involved including land based personnel in time will have to accept their role in what happened and the punishment given. (post 822)

While Schettino is the head man and will i agree face some sort of charges there were others on the bridge that night who are equally to blame for standing by and doing nothing, and when the case does eventually come to court proper those people along with Schettino and senior people at Costa will all be in the frame for blame. (post 1412)

[quote name='swedish weave']With all the accusations being thrown at Schettino, don't you think the legal beagles are creating an escape for the senior officials at Costa and Costa company itself ??[/quote

[COLOR=black]No, I think there are plenty of lawyers and fault to go around and it is an equal opportunity lawsuit. I would think senior officials would have more to worry about than the crew. After all they have deeper pockets and I feel confident Costa has "malpractice" insurance coverage for their top executives.[/COLOR]

[quote name='malnik']One thing that did make me read in silence......

The names and locations where the people died. Reading the translation made it more real about where these poor people were left to fall into the water and die. No one came......

How terrible.[/quote]

[COLOR=black]Yes, I was surprised at how many were without lifevests. One would think at least when the emergency was finally sounded (if not before) the crew would have instructed passengers they encountered without lifevests to put them on. [/COLOR]

[quote name='sidari']CT .... Me cheer for Captain Schettino ? wherever did you get that idea from ? i have a different point of view and an open mind not a closed one which i have always stated, but i have always stood by the fact that he would be found guilty!
[/QUOTE]

Hey Sid,

Since you have an open mind you might get a kick out of the newly published dictionary word:

schettino

1. verb: To flee without any consideration, dignity, grace or seeming self-respect, particularly from a catastrophic or embarrassing occurrence, with only one's own personal interests at stake.

To escape from a shocking situation which you are personally responsible for while leaving others to pick up the pieces.

2. noun: A derogatory term for a person or individual who possesses the unlikable characteristics of someone engaged in [B]schettino[/B]ing. Edited by cruiserfanfromct

[quote name='SomeBeach'][COLOR=blue]Water, the translations were pretty clear as to the charges. There might have been some he/she ID issues but that has no effect on our understanding. I've actually noticed that in many articles that are translated we get a she when it should be a he or he when it's a she.[/quote]Agree SB, and thanks Water! Still sifting through the boatload of charges... can't see anyway Schettino might be exonerated... did I miss something?

Piombino in Tuscany, was chosen by the Italian Governmnet as the site for the Concordia to be disassembled.

Sid -- you were right -- I believe you said early on that this would be the port of choice.

[URL]http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/italy-selects-tuscan-port-of-piombino-as-site-for-costa-concordia-cruise-ships-disassembly/2013/03/08/5fb04e6e-8817-11e2-b412-2e8596e7c927_story.html[/URL]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]A port in Italy has been selected for Concordia.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[URL]http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Italy+selects+Tuscan+port+Piombino+site+Costa+Concordia+cruise/8069366/story.html[/URL]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]They better get to the upgrades because I don't think the people of Giglio want that ship there until next year.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][SIZE=3]I was telling a cruising pal about this thread and he replied[/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3]"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks,[/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3] Then In The Drink With A Ship On The Rocks"[/SIZE][/B] Edited by Uniall

Underwater platform #4 installed. This is the platform closest to the stern.

[IMG]http://www.giglionews.it/images/phocagallery/news/inst_piatt_4_110313/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.giglionews.it/images/phocagallery/news/inst_piatt_4_110313/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.giglionews.it/images/phocagallery/news/inst_piatt_4_110313/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.giglionews.it/images/phocagallery/news/inst_piatt_4_110313/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.giglionews.it/images/phocagallery/news/inst_piatt_4_110313/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.giglionews.it/images/phocagallery/news/inst_piatt_4_110313/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_7.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='sidari']Great pictures, notice the Tug holding the crane barge steady during the lifting process in picture 3.[/QUOTE]

Interesting observation. I'm sure they will need that when the install the 2 largest platforms.

[quote=cruiserfanfromct;
[COLOR=#000000]We are all human and anyone can fail in a moment of horrible terror such as the Concordia accident. The horror of something like a ship capsizing, the panic of the passengers, all could account for Schettino deserting the ship early, refusing to do his duty and letting go of his responsibility. But the overwhelming, unbelievable lies together with his arrogance and lack of empathy are the things that make this captain a true socially adept psychopath, IMHO. [/COLOR][/quote]

I completely agree with this statement; but it seems incredulous that Costa/ Carnival executives entrusted this wreckless, dare devil psychopath to responsible for the safety of the ship, crew and passengers by making him captain and absolute power over his crew. Since the rest of the crew seems more normal and keeping their mouth shut, I'd be willing to bet , they won't hold much back about their feeling for their previous boss when and if they testify in this case.
I imagine Schetino's attorneys already have a 'plan B' to plead 'not guilty for reason of insanity' and they have additional evidence for this because their client has been not able to keep his mout shut and can't remember his previous story.
Now, can the person, persons or board from Costa/ Carnival that promoted him to captain be held accountable for entrusting him for that position? Seems to me at very least they should also be looking for a new industry to be working in. I certainly would not trust their judgement.