Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

If they do they surely won't be allowed to dump the water overboard?

David.

That was also in the back of my mind.... that's is why the ????.:confused:

They could test areas, see if its ok, filter it or pump in it into a small tanker to be taken to where it could be cleaned.

Lastly they may not need to pump any.

Time will tell!;)

AKK

"Schettino's lawyer Francesco Pepe told reporters that they had always intended to fight the case at trial and had only entered the plea bargain because the five other defendants had done so, leaving the captain isolated as potentially the sole defendant on trial.

"We think now we will go to trial. We want the details of what really happened to come to light," Schettino's lawyer, Francesco Pepe told reporters".

They seem to have the "follow the leader" concept down pretty good over there. The officers under Schettino followed their leader all the way from veering off course to the same lifeboat to escape and now Schettino "only entered the plea bargain " because that is what the others did.

Months ago,I thought that I read that they weren't going to completely seal the gash.

My take at the time, it made some sense, as the water will need to be sloshed around and emptied.

A cruise ship is mostly used to carrying empty air. Water is heavy, so once the water level inside exceeds the normal water line, the ship would be at stress in ways that it weren't designed for.

My take is that in some way they would want to evacuate the water during the process of making her vertical and raising her. Thus let it empty out through the existing gash, or pumping it out.

This is just a non-expert take.

"Schettino's lawyer Francesco Pepe told reporters that they had always intended to fight the case at trial and had only entered the plea bargain because the five other defendants had done so, leaving the captain isolated as potentially the sole defendant on trial.

"We think now we will go to trial. We want the details of what really happened to come to light," Schettino's lawyer, Francesco Pepe told reporters".

They seem to have the "follow the leader" concept down pretty good over there. The officers under Schettino followed their leader all the way from veering off course to the same lifeboat to escape and now Schettino "only entered the plea bargain " because that is what the others did.

"The prosecutors said they had rejected Schettino's offer to serve three years and four months in prison as he bore most responsibility for the disaster. The other officers had played a "marginal" role, they said"

I think he tried to get in on the plea bargin because he knows he'll get more jail time no matter what "truths" he says he has.

Spending 5 days in Copenhagen after our 25 day Trans Atlantic & Baltic cruises. Onel NCL officer joked that they have two command officers on the bridge at all times unless they have a visiting Costa officer. Then they add a third officer to watch the Costa's girl friend.

Did some digging and found this.

Under the plea bargain requests filed on Tuesday, the highest sentence would be two years and 10 months for the company executive Ferrarini.

Manrico Giampedroni, the cabin service director, would face two years and six months in prison.

Schettino's deputy, Ciro Ambrosio, would get a year and 11 months, while the Indonesian helmsman would get a year and eight months and officer Silvia Coronica would get a year and six months.

This is what was presented. Still must be approved by the judge.

Did some digging and found this.

Under the plea bargain requests filed on Tuesday, the highest sentence would be two years and 10 months for the company executive Ferrarini.

Manrico Giampedroni, the cabin service director, would face two years and six months in prison.

Schettino's deputy, Ciro Ambrosio, would get a year and 11 months, while the Indonesian helmsman would get a year and eight months and officer Silvia Coronica would get a year and six months.

This is what was presented. Still must be approved by the judge.

Hi SB - Yes, that's right. I think they did approve only Ciro Ambrosio's request thus far as noted in the link I posted:

Earlier this week prosecutors refused a plea bargain request from Schettino's defence team but accepted one from Schettino's deputy Ciro Ambrosio who agreed to serve one year 11 months. On Thursday prosecutors said they had done so because Ambrosio was "the only one who actively saved lives".

Couple of choices in this link to listen to interviews. The first spends time with that Smith couple. If you scan down, there is a short portion that deals mostly with the parbuckling. It's only about 8 minutes.

This is voice only, no video.

http://www.thestory.org/stories/towing-away-costa-concordia-cruise-ship-5142013

I only listened to the short version.

Hopefully they will all serve at least some time!. They would most likely deserve more!

The fact that anyone form the office is willing to take time shows that this went much father that just ship personnel! I wonder if more charges will be filed as time goes on.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Hopefully they will all serve at least some time!. They would most likely deserve more!

The fact that anyone form the office is willing to take time shows that this went much father that just ship personnel! I wonder if more charges will be filed as time goes on.

AKK

Skipper

Despite the razzing and doubting Thomases, I prognosticated from the beginning (as far back as the on the now closed threads) that the prosecutors would shoot for 10+ years on Schittino and 2+ for fellow officers and corporate execs. While I don't revel in my accuracy, I do feel a sense od professional vindication.

Thanks for that Micki. This is the couple who published the book we spoke of a couple of months ago I think.

One of the project managers has told Giglio News that the Parbuckle will take place in August or September.

I hope this link works

http://www.giglionews.it/2013051859683/news/isola-del-giglio/concordia-sara-raddrizzata-tra-agosto-e-settembre.html#comments

Edited by clive and anne

Skipper

Despite the razzing and doubting Thomases, I prognosticated from the beginning (as far back as the on the now closed threads) that the prosecutors would shoot for 10+ years on Schittino and 2+ for fellow officers and corporate execs. While I don't revel in my accuracy, I do feel a sense od professional vindication.

Well my friend, we have agreed and disagreed , but on this one you seem right on the marks!

You may find this interesting, there is more investigations going on, now in the US Maritime colleges reviewing Carnival Inc. operations, etc. I am told this is being done at the request of the USCG.

AKK

Giglio news is reporting that the SAL Svenja the ship that brought the two caissons already fitted is moored in the Mississipi near New Orleans and the speculation is that the removing of Concordia will take place August/September 2014.

Does seem that progress is very slow so maybe this is right, but I hope not.

Giglio news is reporting that the SAL Svenja the ship that brought the two caissons already fitted is moored in the Mississipi near New Orleans and the speculation is that the removing of Concordia will take place August/September 2014.

Does seem that progress is very slow so maybe this is right, but I hope not.

"And the weather conditions did not favor. " So far this year we have lost at least 40 days due to bad weather. But in rough sea conditions it is impossible for engineers, technicians and other personnel working around the wreck. "You need 6 platforms to achieve the false bottom. Which is in progress. Platforms will be filled with 11 thousand cubic meters of cement bags. Plus we are doing with Fincantieri 30 caissons needed to allow the buoyancy of the Concordia once will be rectified. " Work titanic ever made ​​by man, which presents considerable challenges from the engineering point of view. "Just think that the wound of the ship is 60 meters long and 10 meters at its point of greatest width. So to calculate the buoyancy of the wreck we must also take account of this factor." Until now, in the bottom of Giglio were drilled 21 holes in the rock, with a diameter of two meters each, to a depth of 11 meters. But the fund is variable: in some places there is live rock ("a granite hard for which it was necessary to adapt a special auger"), in others the rock is covered by a large blanket of sand. "Working in those conditions is very difficult," he stressed Porcellacchia, which, however, said he was optimistic about the success of the project. "We calculated that the ship, when turned, will fish 18 meters and weigh not less than 45 thousand tons." This is why the engineers have devised a system to straighten able to "7 thousand tons of shooting." "It will be as if the ship rested on his knee to his feet should be slightly rotate on itself, and bow."

Clive, that is from the article you referred to in Giglio News.

I gather the Aug/Sept time is when the parbuckle will occur. I read somewhere that the removal from the Island itself will not be until Dec at the earliest because the other side of the ship will have to be prepared.

Hi Micki

So far we have had 2 out of 30 caissons erected since this part of the salvage began so it would seem that they will have to quicken up a lot to parbuckle in August/ September this year (I know only 15 will have to be attached before parbuckle) But if Svenja is moored in U.S. it doesnt appear that the next caissons will be fitted any time soon.

They still have to finish also erecting the underwater platforms and the grout bags.

I just wonder the state of the sea around the turn of the year. Am I right in assuming that they will have to be 100% sure that the can make the breakers yard in one go. The sheer size of the wreck means that if the weather turned bad they couldnt seek shelter in another harbour till the sea calmed.

Micki

This is where I got the info.

#7 Jim Harris 2013-05-20 08:24

Thank you Maurizio & Attilio for the information. There is a lot of work to be done with the Condordia. Many cassons still need to be atttached, and there are two large undersea platforms to be installed. This is going to take a considerable amount of time.

Right now the heavy lift ship that was involved in the project, the SAL Svenja, is moored at a berth on the Mississippi River near New Orleans,as per <A href="http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/" rel="external nofollow" target=_blank>www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

It does not appear the remaining platforms will be put into place in the near future.

The companies doing the Concordia work seem to be very completent, but the people calculating the timetable may be too optimistic.

* Maurizio and Attilio thanks for the information. There is much work to do with the Condordia. Many Cassons still need to be atttached, and there are two large underwater platforms to be installed. This is going to take a considerable amount of time.

At this time the heavy cargo that was involved in the project, the salt ship Svenja, is moored to a dock on the Mississippi River near New Orleans, as by www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ [/ url]

It seems that remaining platforms will get underway in the near future.

Companies that perform work Concordia seem to be very completent, but the people of calendar calculation may be overly optimistic.

* This is a Google translation.

Report all'amministratore

#6 Pietro Rinaldi 2013-05-20 06:22Dear Jim - I have the same questions you have presented, and I hope that it is wrong to believe in September 2014 instead of 2013 ?? Referring to removal of the ship from the island of Giglio.__ Straightening the Concordia on the artificial bottom has been announced for next September, as programmed._ Subsequently should be in place the sponsons on the right side, to be able to float the ship and hopefully also in this case that one should not wait for the availability of the port to accommodate the Concordia or even think that the ship will be sent in Turkey.

Segnala all'amministratore

I am not sure if the project is dependent on M/V Svenja alone to mount the caissons. For starters the same company operates another identical sister ship to M/V Svenja by the name of M/V Lone.

They also have four further heavy lifting ships, each almost as powerful. I don't have the individual weight of the caissons at hand (combined weight is 11,500 tons), but it might well be that one of the slightly smaller ships can equally well do the job.

Their full list has 16 (sixteen!) heavy lifting ships and can be seen here SAL_Heavy_Lift_Fleetlist_2013.pdf

SAL is also for sure not the only heavy lifting company in existence.

On balance, just because M/V Svenja is in Missouri (presumably on a job), doesn't meant anything really for the timing of this salvage project.

Wouldn't you all agree?