Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

The latest progress report now indicates that P1, 2, 14 and 15 (out of 15) will be installed after the parbuckling.

Next sponsons to be installed this week from Thursday will be P9 and P12, left and right of the already installed P10 and P11. Expect deliveries of stuff on site, something to see and watch.

Aha! The heavy lift vessel 'MV Lone' has just arrived with what looks like another caisson aboard. Think this is Svenja's sister ship. So more to see & watch!

Hi Cleve,

Ever since my puter did an update, my translator stinks.

I'm guessing it means alignment or correct position. :D

Not your translator, it's ALL machine translation which fails. My inhouse translator (human) broke it up: Ri - 'repeat, doing it again'; galleggiare = to float, stay afloat; mento makes the verb a noun.

They made up a new word meaning "the re-floating", presumably because this is not a concept known by man or beast. In fact it was never done before, which explains why there is no such word.

One serious concern off the list, eh? I bet many people can now sleep much better.....:)

Not your translator, it's ALL machine translation which fails. My inhouse translator (human) broke it up: Ri - 'repeat, doing it again'; galleggiare = to float, stay afloat; mento makes the verb a noun.

They made up a new word meaning "the re-floating", presumably because this is not a concept known by man or beast. In fact it was never done before, which explains why there is no such word.

One serious concern off the list, eh? I bet many people can now sleep much better.....:)

Mike, then I made a pretty good guess from reading the sentence. :D

It's not so much about it being a serious concern. It's a learning experience. I follow this project because something like this has not been attempted before. Again, another opportunity to learn.

Looks like an interesting day today. MV Lone is approaching with the two caissons and Micoperi 30 is out of shot.

There is some discussion going on Giglio news that the insurance companies are about at the limit of their funding and that Costa may have to pick up the tab from here on.

As I know even less about marine insurance than I do about salvage maybe our experts can help me out.

Looks like an interesting day today. MV Lone is approaching with the two caissons and Micoperi 30 is out of shot.

There is some discussion going on Giglio news that the insurance companies are about at the limit of their funding and that Costa may have to pick up the tab from here on.

As I know even less about marine insurance than I do about salvage maybe our experts can help me out.

As I said over on the sister thread, I believe this is one reason the official report was brought out as quickly as it was. The first layer of insurance would be the hull insurance, which is limited to the assessed value of the ship. The second layer would be the P&I insurance, which covers Costa from 3rd party claims, and I can only guess that the 3rd layer is an environmental coverage. When these coverages are exhausted, it would be possible for Costa to walk away from the salvage, so the Italian government needs the report to show negligence not only on Schettino, but also on Costa. The report's faulting of the bridge management team and the "designated person ashore", as well as non-conformities with the company's Safety Management System (SMS), will allow them to pursue Costa in civil court to stand for unlimited liability until the salvage is completed.

As I said over on the sister thread, I believe this is one reason the official report was brought out as quickly as it was. The first layer of insurance would be the hull insurance, which is limited to the assessed value of the ship. The second layer would be the P&I insurance, which covers Costa from 3rd party claims, and I can only guess that the 3rd layer is an environmental coverage. When these coverages are exhausted, it would be possible for Costa to walk away from the salvage, so the Italian government needs the report to show negligence not only on Schettino, but also on Costa. The report's faulting of the bridge management team and the "designated person ashore", as well as non-conformities with the company's Safety Management System (SMS), will allow them to pursue Costa in civil court to stand for unlimited liability until the salvage is completed.

Morning Chief

I think it would also be possible to go after individuals/executives in Costa and Carnival civilly and maybe criminally as well.

AKK

[/color]

Morning Chief

I think it would also be possible to go after individuals/executives in Costa and Carnival civilly and maybe criminally as well.

AKK

Morning' date=' Skipper

Yeah, not sure what the Italian laws on that are, but I'm sure there will be some civil and criminal suits that read "Italy vs Costa Crociere, [u']et al[/u]"

Bill

when much could have been done to protect the passengers, get them to muster stations, etc., is going to hang them!

Tonka .... I don`t thnk they have hangings in Italy .... :D

Hi there Sid,

Well,I was not really meaning *hang them*( I love old Wayne westerns!......LOL).......but I think that hour and what was said and what occurred will cause them to be held Liable!

I think the Italians are much more cruel than a simple hanging, they send unfaithful husbands back to their cheated wives under house arrest for months. Surprised that The Captain didn't do a hanging job on himself after that decision.

I see the MV Lone has pulled back now minus the caissons.

I see the MV Lone has pulled back now minus the caissons.

Saw them dropping the first caisson onto C.C. earlier on, but after looking @ the webcam just now it would appear that MV Lone has retreated with the other caisson still on board, cranes still attached. Guess they are having a spot of bother!...

I think the Italians are much more cruel than a simple hanging, they send unfaithful husbands back to their cheated wives under house arrest for months. Surprised that The Captain didn't do a hanging job on himself after that decision.

One might wonder how long she stayed around. Haven't heard or seen anything with her for several months now.

As for me, I wouldn't mind seeing "walking the plank" come back into play. Extra weights required. ;)

Tonka .... yes as you say they will be liable.

Clive ... maybe they will count that as part of his sentence!

SB ... Sorry but no plank walking allowed in case it may infringe the persons human rights ... :eek:

Apologies if this has already been posted here -- I searched using a couple of obvious terms, didn't find it. I'm not going to read back through 169 pages!!!

This is a Youtube video of a couple of tiny "quadcopters," with video cameras, circling and approaching the Concordia. Pretty cool stuff.

Really cool, thanks for the link

Thanks for that SB

I notice on that report that only 11 out of the 15 caissons on the port side will be attached before the Parbuckle.

It calls part of the caissons on the bow (1 & 2 I think) "blister". Does anyone know what that means.

Yesterday MV Lone or it could have been Svenja arrived and I couldn't see any Caissons on board . It pulled close to Concordia, stayed a couple of hours then sailed away. I couldn't see if it had anything on board.

Certainly seems that the progress has speeded up since the drilling for the platforms were increased.

Thanks for that SB

I notice on that report that only 11 out of the 15 caissons on the port side will be attached before the Parbuckle.

It calls part of the caissons on the bow (1 & 2 I think) "blister". Does anyone know what that means.

Yesterday MV Lone or it could have been Svenja arrived and I couldn't see any Caissons on board . It pulled close to Concordia, stayed a couple of hours then sailed away. I couldn't see if it had anything on board.

Certainly seems that the progress has speeded up since the drilling for the platforms were increased.

It is MV Lone. According to latest AIS data, it sailed very recently (maybe SB's sighting) from Porto St Stefano (the one which is almost, on a clear day, visible on the webcam) to Giglio, then back there, then again to Giglio. Didn't enter the harbour of St Stefano, just circled in the bay there. At this moment (Monday 10:30am Giglio time), both cranes of MV Lone are busy loading/unloading something to ER Narvik which came from the accomodation platform to now alongside MV Lone.

As for speeding up of the process, I think this down to the tasks which are visible to us. They probably work hard around the clock, we just don't see the actual progress.

Question for those with more knowledge than I have:

Is this for the pulley system?

phoca_thumb_l_img_6792.jpg

I believe that the blue items on the platforms are the strand jacks, so this is the main pulling equipment for the actual parbuckling.

Good question Micki.

I first thought from its position it may be part of the hold back system to stop it sliding into deeper water but now I'm not so sure

Clive, there are so many various types of boats and equipment used on this job that I am not familiar with. I'm a big believer in asking questions when I don't know what something is. We have a lot of folks here with the knowledge I need from them. :D

I believe that the blue items on the platforms are the strand jacks, so this is the main pulling equipment for the actual parbuckling.

Thank you.