Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

bigeak ... Here as well .... former Costa ship! .... :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276481/Thomson-Majesty-liner-Five-killed-injured-lifeboat-falls-sea-Canary-Islands-cruise-ship.html#axzz2KXXsCrKh

watertheodds .... Is that 3 or 4 cases that have now been overturned in the USA?

Edited by sidari

I don't think the cranes are what Mike asked about. There is a shorter yellow piece on the boat. It's shown in a picture in the report.

http://www.giglionews.it/2013021159455/news/isola-del-giglio/rimozione-relazione-settimanale-dal-2-al-8-febbraio.html#addcomments

Click on Visualizza to access the report and scan down to see the picture.

As I recall the Majesty is a former NCL ship. The former Costa ship is the Dream.

Correct.

First owned by Majesty Cruise Line. Went to NCL and then was purchased by Louis Cruise Line. Was leased by Thompson last year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/simon-calder-there-is-no-real-connection-between-the-thomson-majesty-and-the-costa-concordia-disaster-8488870.html

I don't think the cranes are what Mike asked about. There is a shorter yellow piece on the boat. It's shown in a picture in the report.

http://www.giglionews.it/2013021159455/news/isola-del-giglio/rimozione-relazione-settimanale-dal-2-al-8-febbraio.html#addcomments

Other than the cranes themselves, all I can see that is the exhaust funnel, and a small communication tower on the aft part of the ship when looking at those photos and other photos of the that heavy lift ship.

Other than the cranes themselves, all I can see that is the exhaust funnel, and a small communication tower on the aft part of the ship when looking at those photos and other photos of the that heavy lift ship.

My guess would be the communication tower is what he questioned.

ICS: ITALY'S FAILURE TO PRODUCE A FINAL REPORT ON THE COSTA CONCORDIA DISASTER IS "UNACCEPTABLE".

http://maritimesecurity.asia/free-2/maritime-security-asia/ics-italys-failure-to-produce-a-final-report-on-the-costa-concordia-disaster-is-unacceptable/

During an ICS Board meeting held Tuesday in London, members of the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) expressed their frustrations with Italy for failing to provide a final casualty report into the Costa Concordia tragedy, now over one year after the ship ran aground and partially sank.

In a statement, the ICS Board welcomed measures taken by the International Maritime Organization to enhance cruise ship safety since the incident, but slammed Italy for failing to provide its final casualty report.

“The response of IMO so far has been measured and reasonable and we have been impressed by the commitment amongst governments to avoid knee jerk reactions” said CS Chairman, Masamichi Morooka. “But IMO is under increasing pressure to take forward far more radical steps in advance of Italy publishing the complete results of its accident investigation, which it has still singularly failed to do. Given the seriousness of the disaster, which happened over a year ago, this failure by Italy is simply unacceptable. We still have no official understanding of what the underlying causes were with respect to an accident that really should never have happened.”

ICS says that it believes that the Costa Concordia tragedy has highlighted the seemingly inadequate obligations on the part of flag states to submit the results of accident investigations to IMO. ICS adds that the impasse created by the failure of Italy to report definitively on such a serious casualty indicates that action may be needed in an area where other flag states are also commonly guilty with respect to less high profile incidents which are nevertheless serious and from which important safety lessons could be learned.

During the meeting, the ICS Board agreed that, in discussion with governments, ICS will take forward proposals to IMO as to how the obligations of flag states with respect to casualty reports might be strengthened.

There really IS something wrong with the Destiny platform designed ships....even if Arison prefers to ignore it and continue watching his blasted basketball...

Looking over the last 18-24+ months via various reports from crew, media & pax.

Destiny, Triumph, Splendor, Glory, Breeze, Dream, Liberty have ALL reported electrical and/or propulsion issues on a regular basis over the last 18 months, most complete power losses, some electrical fires..add in Concordia, Magica, Serena, Fortuna & Pacifica which have also reported similar problems during this timespan…ALL are Destiny platform design ships.

Compare that to the Spirit/Vista 1/Vista 2/Signature platform ships and you only get Legend one time and Costa Deliziosa one time with an azipod problem.

Concordia was reporting blackouts and other electrical problems right upto a few hours prior to her loss. She had been experiencing blackouts, loss of essential equipment (depth sounder, radar, black box and autopilot) several times in the THREE WEEKS immediately prior to her demise…indeed, a full repair crew were to meet and board on January 14, 2012 at Savona and they were to stay with the ship for 7-10 days to carry out repairs to her sail/no sail equipment…she was allowed to sail with her sail/no sail equipment out of service on the previso that the engineering crew were to meet her on the 14th.

There IS something VERY wrong with the Destiny platform family of ships.

The DIFFERENCE tween the Destiny platorm and the Spirit/Vista 1/Vista 2/Signature classes is simple…

Destiny platform have ONLY been built at Fincantieri from a design blueprint by Fincantieri.

Spirit & Vista 1 originated in Kvaener Mesa and were then adapted/enlarged by Fincantieri. The original blueprints had more than enough redundancy to allow for growth and design tweaks.

There is NO redundancy being built into the Destiny platform ships, which is why they are constantly suffering from systemic failures.

Had this been about a car, truck or bus...they would be recalled. Had this been about an airliner...they would be grounded.

But cos we are talking about a cruise ship type, carrying upwards of 4000 people each that generates millions in revenue....a blind eye is being turned by everyone...and one day there will be an even bigger loss of life from one of these ships...either by an uncontainable fire or structural failure or another grounding partially due to human error but partially due to equipment failure.

Indeed, I meant this HUGE bright yellow number:

phoca_thumb_l_img_8749.jpg

Its not part of the ship, we know this from other pics of the SVENJA, in fact Svenja was built to have a flat surface with almost no obstructions. Her aft funnel is on the side as well.

"Concordia was reporting blackouts and other electrical problems right upto a few hours prior to her loss. She had been experiencing blackouts, loss of essential equipment (depth sounder, radar, black box and autopilot) several times in the THREE WEEKS immediately prior to her demise…indeed, a full repair crew were to meet and board on January 14, 2012 at Savona and they were to stay with the ship for 7-10 days to carry out repairs to her sail/no sail equipment…she was allowed to sail with her sail/no sail equipment out of service on the previso that the engineering crew were to meet her on the 14th."

Those problems are not going to stop a dare devil captain like schettino from performing his stunt. He don't need none of that stinkin stuff

Concordia was reporting blackouts and other electrical problems right upto a few hours prior to her loss. She had been experiencing blackouts, loss of essential equipment (depth sounder, radar, black box and autopilot) several times in the THREE WEEKS immediately prior to her demise…indeed, a full repair crew were to meet and board on January 14, 2012 at Savona and they were to stay with the ship for 7-10 days to carry out repairs to her sail/no sail equipment…she was allowed to sail with her sail/no sail equipment out of service on the previso that the engineering crew were to meet her on the 14th.

CS, you have been asked no less than 3 times on this thread to provide documentation that there were equipment malfunctions on Concordia. Everytime you are asked you disappear on this thread and then after a while you pop back up and make the same allegations without citing your sources. From everything I have read from the investigation materials all the essential equipment that you list was operating at the time of the accident.

I sense from how the discussion went over the last few contributions that some can't or didn't follow posted links, or didn't know how to lift pictures and post them etc etc

Can I or others do anything to help?

The yellow "thing" looks to fragile to be part of the load bearing unterwater platform. It looks like a circular "cage" of sorts. On the very top, almost on the right side a small platform maybe for an operator. It could ever so easily be a wild goose chase, this could have been a part for some other customer.

I sense from how the discussion went over the last few contributions that some can't or didn't follow posted links, or didn't know how to lift pictures and post them etc etc

Can I or others do anything to help?

The yellow "thing" looks to fragile to be part of the load bearing unterwater platform. It looks like a circular "cage" of sorts. On the very top, almost on the right side a small platform maybe for an operator. It could ever so easily be a wild goose chase, this could have been a part for some other customer.

I think Tonka's post above may be a good guess.

I am guessing here, but it looks like a cable/wire storage framework, used to coil a cable/wire before it is layed on the ocean bottom.