Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I thought I read where Italy wants the scrapping to occur in their shipyards to help with the employment that project would bring.

Hi Ken,

Yes as I mentioned above, the last I heard was the Italians want the scrapping to happen in a nearby Italian port, They have a place in mind, but will have to almost build a total scrap yard to handle a vessel the size of Concordia.

However things change, Cheng pointed and I agree it would be a overall safer and better idea to strip down part of her super structure in Italy and take her to Turkey on a heavy lift. There is now a heavy lift able to take her, Vanguard.

http://shipbuildingtribune.com/2012/12/03/state-of-the-art-heavy-lift-vessel-dockwise-vanguard-ready-for-sea-trials/

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-621&va=heavy+lift+vessel%2C+vanguard

I did not even know any vessel able to handle the Concordia was built (see we all learn something new every day!)

That trip will be pretty expensive and the options are open for now.

AKK

Sounds like that would give CCL (or Costa) a pretty strong position with the Italian legal system in settling the fines and claims. One hand washes the other!!

Incorrect,

The Italian government has to give final approval for any scrapping plan that the salvage team comes up with.

Carnival Inc. doesn't need to pick that fight, they are just trying to stay in business, and settle all thier other fires/incidents and operational problems.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

It appears as if the Micoperi 30 crane is preparing to lift the platform (2?) off of the transport barge.

Hope the link works, unfortunately the drop was done last night in the dark. Thanks to Piero Landini for the film.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7zITCq8G6Q

(Edit; Sorry, link doesn't seem to work, if you YouTube C.C. & then filter it down to 1 day (Monday), it's there!)

Edited by CTH

Incorrect' date='

The Italian government has to give final approval for any scrapping plan that the salvage team comes up with.

Carnival Inc. doesn't need to pick that fight, they are just trying to stay in business, and settle all thier other fires/incidents and operational problems.

AKK[/quote']

I disagree !! The Italian gov't wants the jobs, and the cruise line (or their insurers) have the opportunity to use it as a bargaining tool.

IMO's Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) meets from June 12 to 21 and is expected to adopt amendments to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) and discuss preliminary recommendations arising from the Costa Concordia incident, among other safety concerns and issues.

http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/IMOs-Maritime-Safety-Committee-to-Meet-for-92nd-Session-2013-06-03/

Thanks for that Ken, for some reason the progress report title doesnt appear on my Giglio news . So glad I have you to rely on.

I looked at the bar chart at the end of the report for the first time for a bit and noticed that the "Completion for the parbuckle" has slipped from August to 9th October but I cant find any mention of the sponsons being installed. and unless I have missed it in the past, there is now a mention of plating over the gash with 3 plates.

What do our experts think about the parbuckle taking place during the Winter when there are bound to be sea swells. The report a few weeks ago saying the completion not being before next year possibly may not be a misprint.

Clive ... We have been in the Med in late December and the sea was quite flat but i guess it depends on the weather systems at the time and which way they are heading, October can be decent for weatehr in the med but as we are seeing just now around the world the weather and the systems appear to be somewhat unpredicatable and Central Europe just now shows just how mixed up the weather can be.

We ourselves only have to look at home to see how that stacks up.

Hi Sid

We have spent the last four October/November periods on the coast in Southern Spain and I agree with you that the weather and sea state is unpredctable.

What I think about is that with the current slippage in the operation we could well be November or December when the parbuckle takes place. Then the caissons/sponsons have to be attached to the starboard side all with the wreck in a precarious position.If the port side is anything to go by this could take 3 months which could take us to March next year before the removal can take place.

I ask if it ideal that all this work takes place in the Winter when the likelyhood of heavy sea swell is most likely.

Hi Sid

We have spent the last four October/November periods on the coast in Southern Spain and I agree with you that the weather and sea state is unpredctable.

What I think about is that with the current slippage in the operation we could well be November or December when the parbuckle takes place. Then the caissons/sponsons have to be attached to the starboard side all with the wreck in a precarious position.If the port side is anything to go by this could take 3 months which could take us to March next year before the removal can take place.

I ask if it ideal that all this work takes place in the Winter when the likelyhood of heavy sea swell is most likely.

I would bet that Oct/Nov/Dec timeframe for the parbuckling would be pretty accurate. However, I disagree that the ship would be in a precarious position at this point. She will be sitting on her flat bottom, on solid platforms and the grout bags, and with plenty of flat space offshore. The added weight of the flooded port caissons will also help to keep her on the "bottom".

Is it ideal to work on attaching the starboard caissons in winter? No. Will they do it? Sure. They will just have a lot of days of down time when operations will be halted due to weather. Nature of the salvage beast.

Cassanova of the High Seas, digging himself in a little deeper on the interview circuit. :eek:

In this recent interview on Mattino Cinque, with dark shades on, he insists he did not abandon ship -- he was instead "expelled" from the ship.

Note to Schettino: there's a 176 report out there that pins the blame on YOU.

Video:

http://news.centrodiascolto.it/video/studio-aperto/2013-05-29/cronaca-giudiziaria-nera/il-processo-il-naufragio-della-costa-concord

Edited by cruiserfanfromct

Hi David

They did say at the beginning that $400million.I seem to remember that this was increased to $500million but wasnt that when they aimed the parbuckle for around August. If as I suspect we may be talking about March time I can see them approaching $1 billion.

Are they in budget. Is there a budget?

David.

Budget? What budget? We don't need no stinking budget!

Seriously, I'm not sure. It would be a question of Italian law as to whether Costa has a limit on the liability for removing the wreck. Given the publicity, and the state of the Italian economy, I would guess there is no limit, so no, there is no budget.

This brings an interesting question to my mind, and maybe those who have been following this closely from the beginning can answer. Is this a Lloyd's Open Contract salvage operation? That means, "no cure, no pay", or if Titan and the others can't do the job, they would be out the cost of operations. My guess is that a job of this size is on a cost plus basis, since it's never been done before, and therefore difficult to estimate ahead of time.

Cheng, must be cost plus. The cost keeps going up but the work continues.

I do recall a report from the insurance company where they were not happy (putting it mildly) about the rising cost of the job.

Yeah, the P&I club's premiums will be going up for the next few years to pay for this fiasco. And as grumpy as P&I are, they have no recourse but to continue to pay until the job is complete.

Yeah, the P&I club's premiums will be going up for the next few years to pay for this fiasco. And as grumpy as P&I are, they have no recourse but to continue to pay until the job is complete.

It will be interesting to see where the final cost comes in at for the removal. Don't know if it will be released or not but I imagine someone will dig for the info.

There's also the lawsuits to be settled. That will add a pretty large payout to the total cost.

Cassanova of the High Seas, digging himself in a little deeper on the interview circuit. :eek:

In this recent interview on Mattino Cinque, with dark shades on, he insists he did not abandon ship -- he was instead "expelled" from the ship.

Note to Schettino: there's a 176 report out there that pins the blame on YOU.

Video:

http://news.centrodiascolto.it/video/studio-aperto/2013-05-29/cronaca-giudiziaria-nera/il-processo-il-naufragio-della-costa-concord

Isn't his trial suppose to start next week? He usually pops up right around the time he's suppose to be in court.

Isn't his trial suppose to start next week? He usually pops up right around the time he's suppose to be in court.

His trial starts July 9th. The media junket is starting early this go round. ;)

The New Legal Defense Team

tumblr_lig42g2QyV1qgxkd5o1_400.jpg

I read a long time ago there is no limit. However at some point as Cheng pointed out the PandI and other underwriters are going to be reaching a final amount of their liability.

Add to this all the other fires and problems Carnival Inc. has had their umbrella coverage's limits will be reached as well.

You can make a safe bet the next round of policy renewals/premiums will be interesting for Carnival Inc. Marine coverage's are very reactive to loss ratios.

This all depends on how the underwriters coverage and self risks are setup.

Then Carnival Inc. self coverage risk will have to take over.

The only real protection for Costa/Carnival Inc. will be the likely hood their final self risk limits will be the value of the Concordia herself.

Now all that said..........the lawyers and courts will have a final say when this is all done. Maybe in 10 years or so there will be a final answer.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper