How's Your Waistline After a Cruise?

nycmode

How's Your Waistline After a Cruise?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. How's Your Waistline After a Cruise?

• On average I end up gaining weight by the end
    • Usually I maintain my weight by the end
    • Believe it or not, I end up losing weight by the end of a cruise, on average

TY onessa :)

For the record, even though I packed on at least 3lbs after our last cruise in November, I honestly did a poor job of getting rid of it (I only went on a diet just 2 weeks ago, and it's been tough to be good about it, but so far I managed to lose the cruise weight, and more!). I think based on what I've read here so far, I'm definitely going to be much smarter about what I eat the next time I cruise this year. Honestly, it is SO hard to be good when I see so much food there :D

Ours doesn't change. We don't exercise or try to "walk" off the pounds. We do extensive workouts through out the year and our bodies are in a high metabolism because of that. We use the cruise as our time to give our body a rest. We will use the stairs and walk to and around the towns but not for burning off calories. If you look up any site that evaluates physical activity walking a mile doesn't really burn up that many calories to make a difference if you are over eating or drinking. You have to consider the deficit between sitting and walking because you burn up calories while sitting. Walking 4 mph burns 360 per hour or 90 calories per mile. You burn 100 calories while sitting for 1 hour so the difference is 260 calories. Divide that by 4 and it amounts to 65 extra calories that you have burned by walking a mile instead of sittng. That isn't enough to offset a cookie but will allow you a ultra light beer that only has around 60 calories. So while walking to town drink that ultra light beer. :D

Exactly right. You would need to walk (or run) THIRYSIX MILES to lose ONE pound of body fat!! Eat. Drink. Worry about it when you get back.

One of the things I found amusing/sad (or both) was when I'd see folks who weren't handicapped or on a walker/cane (but seemed a bit round around the edges) take elevators to go up or down 1 or 2 decks on the ship. My wife was beside herself when she saw folks who were walking perfectly fine take the elevator in place of a short walk. It was quite amusing to me!

Well, do remember that not everyone with physical challenges is in a wheelchair or has a walker.

I am 40, but was told 5 years ago I needed double-knee replacement (after 4 knee surgeries). I have no cartilage between either knee, tons of bone spurs and even flexing my knee 15 degrees makes sickening grinding noises. I have severe arthritis.

My ortho surgeon can actually see "grinding" damage to both knees due to walking without any cartilage. I am trying to put off knee replacement as long as I can, so I lost weight, got in shape and just live with a lot of pain. So, when you see me, a healthy, in-shape, 40-year-old woman taking the elevator, it's because it freakin' HURTS to take stairs, even after getting my cortisone shots and keeping a opiate pain-killer on hand. You should see me in my house (a split-level, arg!). I can walk flat surfaces like no one's business, but put a stair in front of me and it can get excruciating - especially on a cruise where I spend a lot of my time walking around from place to place.

But onto the original topic...the 10-day cruise we took last year saw me gaining 1.5 lbs and DH gained 2 lbs.

I gain weight on every cruise ... we generally cruise for a week and I gain 5 lbs. After I'm home I lose it in a week. No harm done. I eat things I never eat at home like escargots, shrimp cocktail, cheeses, big breakfasts, and waffles if I can get my hands on them:).

When I'm back home it's back to healthy eating. But there is a sense of joy in jumping off the wagon for a short time:D

Please do not judge people by their outward appearences. Just because someone does not use a walking aid and may appear to be able to walk normally, especially on a ship when everyone wobbles a little at times, it does not mean they do not have mobility or other health issues that may mean using the lift [elevator] is a safer or less tiring option.

Sue

This is so true. I look like I can walk perfectly normally, will even attempt a flight of stairs now and then, but really can't do stairs because of a hip problem. I can walk down, but not up. Still, I will try now and then just to keep the hip moving a little!

Totally unfair to make judgments just on your eye alone. No one has any idea of what health issues may be going on inside. Take the stairs if you like, but judging people who take the elevator?

Totally unfair (not to mention none of anyone's darned business :mad: ...

On a cruise, we walk, and walk, and walk! Our last cruise we dined in Blu most nights (or specialty). I think the combination of exercise at every port - LOTS of walking, swimming in the solarium's pool and healthier options at Blu helped us maintain. :)

Archived