How's Your Waistline After a Cruise?

nycmode

How's Your Waistline After a Cruise?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. How's Your Waistline After a Cruise?

• On average I end up gaining weight by the end
    • Usually I maintain my weight by the end
    • Believe it or not, I end up losing weight by the end of a cruise, on average

I'm quite curious about this question so I figured I'd make a poll about it. I've always had a hard time keeping my weight down when it comes to cruising, so I just wanted to see if other folks here were in the same boat as me. For example, on our last X cruise, I tried REALLY hard to be good and not gorge myself (or at the very least, take lots of walks in between meals, hit the gym and do more physical activities and break a sweat on shore days), but it was so tough.

If you guys have any secrets to resisting the urge of overeating, please share it here! ;)

I'm quite curious about this question so I figured I'd make a poll about it. I've always had a hard time keeping my weight down when it comes to cruising, so I just wanted to see if other folks here were in the same boat as me. For example, on our last X cruise, I tried REALLY hard to be good and not gorge myself (or at the very least, take lots of walks in between meals, hit the gym and do more physical activities and break a sweat on shore days), but it was so tough.

If you guys have any secrets to resisting the urge of overeating, please share it here! ;)

I typically gain about 5 lbs., but that is why I try to diet beforehand. I make sure that I stay active...walking as much as possible. Walking is my normal exercise routine any way.

I don't deprive myself of anything. I just use restraint and common sense in my food choices. :D

We just work out almost every day. We do it around 3-4 times a week at home, but while on vacation, because we have no school/work, we fit in in most days. I think because of all of the salt in the food, there may be a little water weight gain, which quickly goes away after we get back on home food :)

I really try to wait until I am hungry to eat. You enjoy it more and can actually taste it. When you are still full from lunch and try to eat more it just feels so uncomfortable. Eat breakfast early to ramp up the metabolism and drink a lot of water. That should help.

I usually maintain my weight or at most put on 1-2 pounds. I pretty much never use the elevators, often do excursions that involve a lot of walking and/or sporty type activities, jog 3x per week during the cruise and do weights at the gym 2x per week during the cruise. I try to have at least half my lunches in the Aqua Spa Cafe and have a couple of days per week where I do not consume alcohol during the cruise. Finally I only order dessert if I am not already feeling full and if it is something that sounds really appealing. This seems to work pretty well for me; I am still able to indulge quite a bit, but have little to no weight gain.

I come home the same weight or 1/2 pound heavier. I walk a lot, exercise almost daily, take the stairs all the time. I skip the cream soups unless it's the mushroom cappuccino and even then I just have a small amount. I stick to mostly lean foods and veggies and skip the rice, pastas, potatoes. I don't have a dessert every night (I prefer savory foods over sweet). At the buffet, I typically get a salad and some of the Indian foods or grilled chicken. I just try to stick to the healthier options.

Monica

Usually, I don't gain when travelling. Often, I feel bloated from the excessive salt. That's a good reason to consume the wine..........

On a b2b 24nite Equinox Cruise in 2010, an amazing thing happened --

I lost seven pounds.

Maybe it was the extensive walking in Med ports. Perhaps the fact that we seldom visited the MDR and didn't care for the evening buffet. After a while, we'd just pack an evening snack from the lunch buffet.

It didn't take long to regained the seven pounds.

Maris

Does wine counteract salt? I didn't know that! This place is full of great info :D

I admire all you folks who managed to stay disciplined on the ship. I find it so hard at times and I must admit I really lost it when I was at Qsine and Lawn Club Grill. I was SOOOOO full after those meals that it kind of messed me up on other days. I didn't even really get to indulge in the late night chocolate event (which I was looking forward to!).

We tried so hard to do what we could to amp up our appetite on port days. We walked (in the scorching heat on most days) for at least 3 hours a day when we were on land ... but honestly I don't know how much in the way of calorie burn that we ended up managing ...

Usually about the same. Either I use the gym or if not its because we plan a lot of walking like our stop in Ephesus last Oct. Also I seldom eat a big dessert. Usually its just sorbet or something else light like a mousse and then its not all of it.

My weight gain on this and our previous cruise was very, very slight. Why or secret?? We did lots and lots of walking around on these wonderful ships, plus being very active on shore trips, etc. Enjoyed lots of ship food, including all three of the speciality dining places. Being active is the best "cure". Here are a few of my pictures on where we like to explore on these well-designed ships.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 60,214 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas on the Solstice. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design are there as a part of this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship.:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

This is a view of the Solstice main pool area. Love the sun and activities here!:

SolsticeMainPoolView2.jpg

This is a view of the upper floor, 14th level above the main pool area on the Solstice-type ships. This illustrates how the space for walking can be a little narrow and congested during the middle of the afternoon as this area fills up with people enjoying the sun, etc. BUT, things are much easier and more open earlier in the am, plus in the evenings.:

SolsticeWalkingTrackArea.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc. You can see the relaxing library in this shot. Classy design on this ship! Some tradition, but not too dated or old.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

Amen to being active!

One of the things I found amusing/sad (or both) was when I'd see folks who weren't handicapped or on a walker/cane (but seemed a bit round around the edges) take elevators to go up or down 1 or 2 decks on the ship. My wife was beside herself when she saw folks who were walking perfectly fine take the elevator in place of a short walk. It was quite amusing to me!

Amen to being active!

One of the things I found amusing/sad (or both) was when I'd see folks who weren't handicapped or on a walker/cane (but seemed a bit round around the edges) take elevators to go up or down 1 or 2 decks on the ship. My wife was beside herself when she saw folks who were walking perfectly fine take the elevator in place of a short walk. It was quite amusing to me!

I saw a fellow once lounging near the pool in shorts and I could tell he had a ton of edema or fluid in his legs. The next day at breakfast i saw he had bacon (or a ton of sodium) stacked like pancakes on his plate. Wow.

Does wine counteract salt? I didn't know that! This place is full of great info :D

I admire all you folks who managed to stay disciplined on the ship. I find it so hard at times and I must admit I really lost it when I was at Qsine and Lawn Club Grill. I was SOOOOO full after those meals that it kind of messed me up on other days. I didn't even really get to indulge in the late night chocolate event (which I was looking forward to!).

We tried so hard to do what we could to amp up our appetite on port days. We walked (in the scorching heat on most days) for at least 3 hours a day when we were on land ... but honestly I don't know how much in the way of calorie burn that we ended up managing ...

I don't think wine counteracts salt, but all the water I need to drink to counteract the wine seems to help flush the salt.

A Premium Beverage Package might work the same way.

Maris

I saw a fellow once lounging near the pool in shorts and I could tell he had a ton of edema or fluid in his legs. The next day at breakfast i saw he had bacon (or a ton of sodium) stacked like pancakes on his plate. Wow.

Wow that is just disturbing ...

I saw a woman on the Silhouette at the MDR on our last cruise. She was probably diabetic given the terrible condition of her feet/ankles and the walker she was using. At the MDR she was eating huge portions of food, and tons of dessert. Even if she wasn't diabetic, she was definitely way overweight as well. I was just like, really?? I hate judging people, but that instance was just shocking to me. It's just so unhealthy :(

I don't think wine counteracts salt, but all the water I need to drink to counteract the wine seems to help flush the salt.

A Premium Beverage Package might work the same way.

Maris

I see! :D

My waist line grows! But I'm very happy about that as I try really hard to gain weight. Very hard I can tell you...If my weight/length should be right I would only be 1,45 m (maybe I have a over length instead of under weight..?):D

Wow that is just disturbing ...

I saw a woman on the Silhouette at the MDR on our last cruise. She was probably diabetic given the terrible condition of her feet/ankles and the walker she was using. At the MDR she was eating huge portions of food, and tons of dessert. Even if she wasn't diabetic, she was definitely way overweight as well. I was just like, really?? I hate judging people, but that instance was just shocking to me. It's just so unhealthy :(

I see! :D

There was a gal who sat with us on the Connie last fall who said she was a diabetic, diet controlled. She had two desserts every night nad usually a lot of other stuff as well. I too felt bad for the health impications. :(

There was a gal who sat with us on the Connie last fall who said she was a diabetic, diet controlled. She had two desserts every night nad usually a lot of other stuff as well. I too felt bad for the health impications. :(

Dietary habits are so hard to change. But seeing some of the portions being gobbled down on a cruise ship freaks me out! :eek:

Ours doesn't change. We don't exercise or try to "walk" off the pounds. We do extensive workouts through out the year and our bodies are in a high metabolism because of that. We use the cruise as our time to give our body a rest. We will use the stairs and walk to and around the towns but not for burning off calories. If you look up any site that evaluates physical activity walking a mile doesn't really burn up that many calories to make a difference if you are over eating or drinking. You have to consider the deficit between sitting and walking because you burn up calories while sitting. Walking 4 mph burns 360 per hour or 90 calories per mile. You burn 100 calories while sitting for 1 hour so the difference is 260 calories. Divide that by 4 and it amounts to 65 extra calories that you have burned by walking a mile instead of sittng. That isn't enough to offset a cookie but will allow you a ultra light beer that only has around 60 calories. So while walking to town drink that ultra light beer. :D

Amen to being active!

How can you be so sure they dont't have problems? I have no problems walking on flat sufaces but my knees doesn't handle stairs very well. Thats why I take the elevator. So please don't judge so fast....

I gain every cruise - usually about 3 - 5 lbs. I work out every day but that's because I do the same at home. I might not workout as long but I just need to get some exercise in.

I enjoy the food, especially the stuff I don't get at home. I have dessert at every meal - never at home. Had ice cream every day as well as multiple cookies before bed :) Again, never at home. But I did eat the fish entrée every night on my last cruise. Very good!

For the most part I try to stay away from any of the fried stuff but I did have a burger and fries 2 days. Yum! I don't go crazy but also don't worry about it. Same way anytime I take a vacation.

enjoy,

Duane

I enjoy the food, especially the stuff I don't get at home. I have dessert at every meal - never at home. Had ice cream every day as well as multiple cookies before bed :) Again, never at home. But I did eat the fish entrée every night on my last cruise. Very good!

For the most part I try to stay away from any of the fried stuff but I did have a burger and fries 2 days. Yum! I don't go crazy but also don't worry about it. Same way anytime I take a vacation.

enjoy,

Duane

This sounds like me! I usually choose the seafood and I get dessert with meals. I eat the cookies if they are good. At home, dessert is not every day so I am able to splurge a bit. A cruise is one week out of your life. Its what you do the other 51 weeks that make the real difference.

How can you be so sure they dont't have problems? I have no problems walking on flat sufaces but my knees doesn't handle stairs very well. Thats why I take the elevator. So please don't judge so fast....

I thought of that very question in my mind, and had my doubts until I saw some of them later on the cruise walking up from the pool deck on 12 to 14 to the buffet!!

I don't watch the scale very closely, but I rarely feel like I've gained after a cruise. Clothes fit the same, I look the same nekkid, etc... :)

I am careful about what I eat to a point, but I do have dessert every night, along with a few cocktails. On the other hand, I take the stairs almost the whole week (the exceptions being formal night with painful shoes and after a hot day in port). We walk a lot while in port, and I typically walk and do at least a 30 minute yoga practice every morning. The last two I do at home also, so I think that the extra walking in port and several decks worth of stairs burn up the extra calories.

Archived