Kids-Uh-Ohh watch out for flames

Thanks all. I do believe that it is my responsibility to watch over my children but I also think that if I recieve no information to the contrary from other passengers or staff I cannot fix something that I don't know is broken........If they gave the parents pagers they could notify us immediately if there was a problem. They could put your beeper # on the childrens sea pass cards....

WAIT! I've been inspired! We need to put a "bumper sticker" on each kid:

"How's my parenting? Call 800-555-1234" :D :D :D

Carol

The rules on vacation are the same as at home. Just because you are on a ship doesn't mean that "bad" things cannot happen.

I agree completely, and that's how things will be in June with my 15-year-old son. Yes, it's his vacation, too, but not a vacation from common sense, courtesy, and responsibility.

FOLGY: Congratulations on your beautiful, wonderful new arrivals. I know that your Tommy has a permanent place in your heart, but it already looks like these two have found a little room there to snuggle in. Names please!

Laurie

Oh Folgy, congratulations! You love the same type of children my dh & I do. Now you have two fur balls to enjoy each day with. They will never replace your dear Tommy but they will help erase that empty feeling you have had to endure. We have been in that place and after we adopted our dear Buddy, we were once again anxious to get home at night to enjoy his company.

Setsail, the reason I suggested that you write to the company not the parents is that they are the ones who make and enforce the rules of their ship. Yes, you could write a letter to the parents but I don't think you would get very far. If the ship does not make the rules then you really do not have a leg to stand on. It seems people just get totally pissed off but they do not take the next step which is changing the system or at least trying to. The time on ship is everyone's vacation. I guess if your not mortified enough to write the company then it must not have been a big enough issue to talk about in the first place. Be a part of the solution not the problem!!;)

You do have to understand a Poll taken on this or any board is not scientific nor accurate. The released information by the cruise lines for 2004 paints a much more accurate picture. Of nine million passengers last year, one million were children under 18. When you factor everything in, on average, for every couple that sailed with children, seven couples sailed without children. Of course, these figures change a lot when you take the time of year and the length of the cruise into it. Summer, school breaks, and cruises seven days or shorter and the percentage of parents with children goes up considerably, maybe even up to or greater than passengers without children. Cruises over eight days and when school is in session, very few children.

Yes, it is true some don't like to sail with any children and let it be known. Most, like me, don't mind some children on board and I even enjoy a few. Kids look at things differently than adults and some things are just so much better when we can see it through the eyes of kids. Speaking for myself only, my only problem is when a parent thinks I'm on vacation so I'll just turn the kids loose without any checks or when made aware that their child has caused a problem, blames the bearer of that news rather than the perfect angel we all know our children to be.

I believe there is room for both sides on cruises. We all need to be a little more tolerant. Those with children need to understand that sometimes our kids are not that perfect angel and do some corrective action. And those without children need to understand that even the best of kids can make a mistake, as can an adult. And for those kids that run wild and the parents do nothing to correct it, the cruise lines should put them off at the next port. That way, hopefully, all the kids won't be blamed for the action of what is most the time the action of a few. Notice I said most of the time as there has been a few cases lately where many kids were totally out of control.

I don't think most of you who come on here asking a question because you are concerned about how your children will be seen on a cruise have anything to worry about. The fact that you are concerned speaks volumes to me about you and your kids. Enjoy the cruise.

Retired...

One of the best posts I have read about the whole cruise with or without kids debate; well written, well thought out clarification with no name calling, no venom, no personal attacks, etc. While these boards are great in so many ways, I have yet to understand the time and energy that some put into "is to" - "is not" debates on some threads.

I would be glad to know you are on our next cruise.

Folgy, I agree with baseballmom, names please!! Or have you decided?

Congratulations, we are so happy for you.

Amanda:)

Congratulations Folgy on the arrival of your darling and adorable fur-babies. I know your life will be extremely busy - two kitties can drive some of us a little crazy, but double the trouble also equals double the fun. We're still anxiously waiting to learn their names.

We're so happy for you and your wife. Enjoy! Enjoy!

Sue

fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=nGwAAAAUK34Mx3p0FJMu3YsTOdkVBk7kboJCsTym5H4xPlQ2fEAsGSd0wPtTBqO6Z

The one with the white paws(eyes open) is Toby. The sleeping one is Micheal.

This is one of the few moments the 'Beastie Boys' are peaceful. Talk about a world wind of action around here now :)

fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=nGwAAAAUK34Mx3p0FJMu3YsTOdkVBk7kboJCsTym5H4xPlQ2fEAsGSd0wPtTBqO6Z

The one with the white paws(eyes open) is Toby. The sleeping one is Micheal.

This is one of the few moments the 'Beastie Boys' are peaceful. Talk about a world wind of action around here now :)

Congrats on your two babies :)

I am the proud owner of an abandoned cat that was dropped off on the doorstep of my workplace in the middle of winter. I completely understand how you feel about felines, they're awesome !

Archived