Excited Newbie Question

Ches94

This will be my DH and my first vacation in almost 11 years:) so needless to say we are very excited. Thank you for all of the wonderful info posted here. It has made the wait for our trip a whole lot more fun:)

My question is this: when we get to the pier, as long as we either are wearing what we would wear to dinner or have it in our backbacks, can we check all of the suitcases (total of three I think:rolleyes:) so we can better enjoy the time on board till our room is ready? TIA for your answers.

This will be my DH and my first vacation in almost 11 years:) so needless to say we are very excited. Thank you for all of the wonderful info posted here. It has made the wait for our trip a whole lot more fun:)

My question is this: when we get to the pier, as long as we either are wearing what we would wear to dinner or have it in our backbacks, can we check all of the suitcases (total of three I think:rolleyes:) so we can better enjoy the time on board till our room is ready? TIA for your answers.

You can check all you r luggage you want. Just take your valuables in your carry on and of course all sort of documentation should never be in the checked luggage.

Dress code for the evening on the embarkation day is always casual and pretty lax because they know not all pax will have their luggage upon dinner time. especially when having early seating. Depending on your preferences you may want to consider having some bathing suits with you.

However don´t stress to much about it. There si no need to keep more into your carry on than you really need for a few hours onboard until you get your luggage.

I would suggest that you keep valuables, & medications with you. In our experience:

• Normally all luggage will be at your cabin by 6 or 7.
  • Occasionally a piece will show up late the first night.
  • Very rarely (never happened to us) some or all will arrive the first full day of the cruise.

Many cruisers suggest keeping a carryon with 24 hours worth of necessities including change of clothes, jammies, cosmetics/shaving kit, swimsuit. YMMV

Congratulations on the first cruise :D

Charlie

We took our first cruise a year and a half ago. Everyone told us to dress comfortably and pack swimwear in our carry-ons. We did this and it worked out great. Our suitcases were even to our room earlier than we had expected them to be. I wore a sundress and my hubby wore khaki shorts and a polo. We were dressed just fine for the dining room that evening. Didn't need the swimwear as we spent most of the afternoon checking out the ship and finding our way around.

Congrats on your vacation! It's the ONLY way to vacation! We just booked another cruise with RCCL.

I actually take it one step further. I would pack my duct tape, jewelry, and pjs, and clothing for the first day in our carry on. I do this in the hotel the night before the embarkation. I have obtained all of my luggage from the flight, now its time to repack to give as much luggage to the porters as possible. I also never pack in the checked luggage my cameras, documents, money, credit cards, meds, jewelry, or anything that I couldn't live without.

It hasn't happened to me personally, but others have said that when they give a suitcase to the porter, they can tell it has been opened and rifled through :eek:

Sorry for the paranoia, I just wanted to let you know this is a possibility.

If you board early, your luggage should be to your room within a couple of hours. I have my carry-on with me which includes, meds, camera, makeup etc. If you don't get dressed for dinner, it's not really a problem the first night. Just don't have anything valuable in your suitcases, and let the porters take them. Have fun!

Katie

Archived