Disabled cruising on Disney?

TrustNoOneKMC

Has anyone else had issues cruising with someone with a disability on Disney? I just recently got off the Dream, and I was extremely upset with the disney crew and their serious lack of "accommodations".

We were on the Dream and had one of the handicapped rooms. What a fantastic room. It was perfect for any kind of handicap especially the bathroom. The crew was really accomindating for my family and went out of their way to make sure everything was up to par. I'm sorry you did not receive the same care. Did you inform the cruiseline beforehand? I hope your future cruise(s) are better.

wifey has balance problems while walking and uses stroller and or walker to stabalize her. we used wonder twice with standard inside and oceanview cabin , plenty of walking room in both.. only problem was port ramps entry/exit in orlando and vancouver alaska/nassau. some ramps are long and or steep and incline is difficult to push stroller up.. does disney allow guests to use their service elevator to embark/disembark ??? has anyone used this??? u can see the elevators when they port to restock food/luggage or etc...

Doubt if they would allow use of the service elevator...but I have seen someone that used a walker and could not manage the incline on the ramp...they had a transport chair for her that she got in at the ramp, they rolled her down and stowed the chair until she returned and then they got it out and pushed her up the ramp again. I am sure the arrangements had been made in advance and I do not know if the transport chair was hers or the ship's though.

wifey has balance problems while walking and uses stroller and or walker to stabalize her. we used wonder twice with standard inside and oceanview cabin , plenty of walking room in both.. only problem was port ramps entry/exit in orlando and vancouver alaska/nassau. some ramps are long and or steep and incline is difficult to push stroller up.. does disney allow guests to use their service elevator to embark/disembark ??? has anyone used this??? u can see the elevators when they port to restock food/luggage or etc...

You wouldn't be allowed to use the Crew entrances/elevators when there is a seperate passenger entry due to security. But if you let someone know at the port either with DCL or the port that you require assistance on the passenger gangway they would be more than willing to help you. Many times crew and passengers use the same entry but I think you are discussing the long passenger gangways.

Has anyone else had issues cruising with someone with a disability on Disney? I just recently got off the Dream, and I was extremely upset with the disney crew and their serious lack of "accommodations".

Hi,

While I don't know the specifics of your situation, I can say that I am mobility impaired and have cruised with Disney three times. Each time, the level of service and courtesy I received was exemplary. I am a travel agent as well as someone who lives with a disability and while I agree that some aspects of cruise travel continue to present challenges to people with disabilities, the vast majority of the major cruise lines, and Disney in particular have made great strides in making cruising on of the most accessible forms of travel. Please do not let one bad experience turn you off to cruising. Here's wishing you happy travels and smooth sailing in the future .

Best Regards,

Dean

I don't know what problems OP had, but I have mobility problems and have cruised 9 times with Disney (#10 next month--my granddaughter is a Disney fanatic), and there are two areas in which Disney has never failed to disappoint me--boarding and disembarking. I have cruised with other lines who do it so much better.

Although my rented scooter is waiting in the terminal, I need wheelchair assistance from the bus through the terminal until I can get to the scooter. Since I need to leave the scooter in my cabin when we depart (company's rules), I also need wheelchair assistance to disembark.

In both instances, Disney will provide a wheelchair, but they will not provide assistance in pushing the chair. I am a senior who travels with my sister, also a senior and although she can walk better than I can, she is not able to assist me due to other infirmities. My granddaughter (the reason we're cruising Disney) is too young to assist.

With no one to assist, the wheelchair is useless to me, and when I complained to Guest Services about this (several days prior to disembarkation), the cast member said, "Too bad; we can't help." I pursued that with the head of Guest Services and got the same response.

Since I'd cruised with Disney only for several years, and their complaint was that they had 'no personnel available' to assist with the wheelchair, I assumed that was standard for all cruise lines. Imagine my surprise when cruising with both Princess and Celebrity to find that I had personal assistance from a crew member both boarding and disembarking. In fact, I 'recognized' the crew members that Princess used to assist wheelchair passengers, and it proved that some creative management could solve Disney's 'problem' with lack of personnel available.

Just wondering what problems you encountered? I sailed on the Dream in December and I use a walker/scooter. I had a fab time and loved how I could go everywhere without my husbands aid.

Argomania,

I am wondering what company you rented your scooter from? Did is store well in your cabin? I asked this on another tread you had posted to. Not trying to stalk you. Our cruise leaves in about a month. Not sure I will be able to walk the distances on the Dream.

Thanks,

Argomania,

I am wondering what company you rented your scooter from? Did is store well in your cabin? I asked this on another tread you had posted to. Not trying to stalk you. Our cruise leaves in about a month. Not sure I will be able to walk the distances on the Dream.

Thanks,

I highly recommend the scooter on the cruise. Because of my disability I lose balance really easily and because of the motion of the boat, wouldn't be able to walk on it even with my walker. it was worth every penny....not to mention how huge the boat is.

For the cruise I went through my travel agent and he used www.specialneedsatsea.com for a three night cruise it was $175. Scooter delivered to my stateroom and picked up from there. We had an accessible stateroom so there was plenty of room. My friend stayed in a deluxe stateroom with verandah and the scooter barely fit through the narrow door. And it was tight in the room. I had to park it at the door and my husband had to carry it back out.

For WDW I used www.walkermobility.com They were great and only $30/day with free delivery and pick-up to any hotel or resort. Not sure if they do cruises though.

You can also try www.scootaround.com and see what quote they give you.

Hope that helps!

We were on the Dream and had one of the handicapped rooms. What a fantastic room. It was perfect for any kind of handicap especially the bathroom. The crew was really accomindating for my family and went out of their way to make sure everything was up to par. I'm sorry you did not receive the same care. Did you inform the cruiseline beforehand? I hope your future cruise(s) are better.

That wasn't our experience.

The cabin itself was very large as was the bathroom. What has always cause us difficulty with the DCL accessible staterooms is the ramp up to the bathroom (and our cabins on both the Magic and the Dream have had these). On the Magic it wasn't too bad but on the Dream it was quite steep - so steep in fact that we had to take my mother out of the bathroom backwards because she would fall forward in her wheelchair (and felt like she was going to fall out) when she went down front ways.

I also found on the Dream that there were many bumps (metal bars) in the floors which were difficult to cross over.

We have never been offered assistance with the wheelchair until it became apparent that we were in an impossible situation. When boarding - we were experiencing high tide so it was quite a ramp up - my dad was pushing my mother and when he was almost to the ship, the ramp became so steep that he couldn't move the chair. I had our carryons (a rolling suitcase and a carry bag), I put them down to the side to try to help my dad - it wasn't until the officer saw both of us struggling that anyone else came to help.

When we went into the dining room the first night (enchanted garden), the spot for the wheechair was set opposite from how we were brought into the table and there was another table close behind and beside our table - there was no way to turn the wheelchair to have my mother sit in that spot. I ended up moving another chair and place setting so that my mother could just roll up to the table on the side we were brought in on (I don't know if I'm explaining that well). It was just one of those things where I thought - "how in the world did they expect that we would be able to get the wheelchair over there in that spot?"

Animators Palate was the same thing - instead of having the spot for the wheelchair on the aisle, they had it set for the inside. The only reason the table was set correctly at the third restaurant was because we were at a half booth / half chair table so they correctly put the wheelchair at chair side.

While there was nothing severe, we didn't find DCL to be incredibly accomadating and my dad and I often found ourselves moving things or finding ways to accomadate my mothers wheelchair ourselves.

Edited by meatloafsfan

I have used several scooter companies on different cruise lines, but when I cruise with Disney, I always rent from Brevard Medical. They were recommended to me by Disney when I took my first cruise with them (Brevard is located in Fla), and I've been very pleased with their service.

On one Caribbean cruise, I lost the key to the scooter! We could not locate it anywhere. Guest Services phoned Brevard, and they FedEx'd another key to our next port, which was the very next day. They did not charge at all for this service.

Although, like other companies, they like you to leave the scooter in your room when disembarking, I have difficulty walking through customs, etc. to the buses, and since Disney is so familiar with Brevard, they told me to just take the scooter out to the bus, and it will get picked up there. I've never had any problem.

That wasn't our experience.

The cabin itself was very large as was the bathroom. What has always cause us difficulty with the DCL accessible staterooms is the ramp up to the bathroom (and our cabins on both the Magic and the Dream have had these). On the Magic it wasn't too bad but on the Dream it was quite steep - so steep in fact that we had to take my mother out of the bathroom backwards because she would fall forward in her wheelchair (and felt like she was going to fall out) when she went down front ways.

I also found on the Dream that there were many bumps (metal bars) in the floors which were difficult to cross over.

We have never been offered assistance with the wheelchair until it became apparent that we were in an impossible situation. When boarding - we were experiencing high tide so it was quite a ramp up - my dad was pushing my mother and when he was almost to the ship, the ramp became so steep that he couldn't move the chair. I had our carryons (a rolling suitcase and a carry bag), I put them down to the side to try to help my dad - it wasn't until the officer saw both of us struggling that anyone else came to help.

When we went into the dining room the first night (enchanted garden), the spot for the wheechair was set opposite from how we were brought into the table and there was another table close behind and beside our table - there was no way to turn the wheelchair to have my mother sit in that spot. I ended up moving another chair and place setting so that my mother could just roll up to the table on the side we were brought in on (I don't know if I'm explaining that well). It was just one of those things where I thought - "how in the world did they expect that we would be able to get the wheelchair over there in that spot?"

Animators Palate was the same thing - instead of having the spot for the wheelchair on the aisle, they had it set for the inside. The only reason the table was set correctly at the third restaurant was because we were at a half booth / half chair table so they correctly put the wheelchair at chair side.

While there was nothing severe, we didn't find DCL to be incredibly accomadating and my dad and I often found ourselves moving things or finding ways to accomadate my mothers wheelchair ourselves.

I'm sorry you had so much trouble.

• 2 years later...

We just ended our family cruise on the Fantasy. Getting around on shipboard with my scooter was not too bad, but it barely fit into the stateroom. Since we needed connecting staterooms, I could not ask for a handicapped room as they have no connecting staterooms. I had to take my scooter apart each night and roll it under the bed. I pulled the battery to charge over at the dressing table. There was only one place on board to leave your scooter to charge over night, on Deck 2 near the Enchanted Garden dining room. The walk back to our state room would have way to far for me to walk. Very inconvenient.

I've travelled with 2 different guests in wheelchairs. One of the things that I learned is that each person is different in their needs. The first person actually works as a consultant on issues of accessible bathrooms, etc. and was very pleased with DCL's facilities in the HA cabin.

The HA cabins are large--to allow room for the chair. There is no desk chair or center desk drawer--same reason. The only problem she encountered was that the balcony was always wet except on the ramp. Seems the water from washing the above decks was landing on our balcony.....At the embarkation luncheon on that cruise I saw an "old friend" from the crew who is now in a white suit. He asked if we needed anything, and I did say that it would be great if we had a table on an aisle so my friend could get the chair in with enough room to transfer. He said it had already been done, but he would verify. This lady is totally in a chair on the ship. At home, she manages short distances with braces and crutches. We didn't need help with her wheelchair. We did find that the beach chairs were impossible for me to push.

The other friend has different needs--on a bad day, she is in a wheelchair. On a good day, she can get around with other assist devices, but she needs the walk in shower and the grab bars. Again, no difficulties.

I'm sorry that the scooters don't fit thru the standard cabin doors...didn't know there was only one plug in spot on the Fantasy (there are several on the Magic). While sub-optimal, perhaps a family member could have gotten the scooter and brought it to the hallway near the cabin each morning. Sorry that HA needs were not met in a standard cabin, but the standard cabins were not made to meet those needs.

I have seen CMs assist wheelchair guests in boarding the tenders at ports that require them. But other than that, I have not seen much assistance.

The one issue we had on the first cruise with HA guest was when I asked how we would handle the muster drill. (called GS) I was told we would be exempt. Then, about 10 minutes before the drill someone called to ask if we would need assistance for the drill. Um....maybe get your stories straight, gang. Told them we were happy to attend the drill if an elevator was provided (it was). And we were released a few minutes before the crowds in order to get back to the room.

The wheelchair viewing areas for the deck parties were....just OK, but at least they made an effort.

As I'm getting older, I can see how pushing a chair will not be possible for the long term. Yeah, I can see how we could have issues.

Scooter rental--ship, Brevard Medical. WDW, Best Price Mobility. These guys gave us a 10% discount on each use after the first as repeat customers and kept our specifications on file so they know what we need at WDW. First time, they were very helpful in meeting needs and knowing which scooter would work best. (they asked the right questions and offered suggestions)

My scooter fit through the stateroom doorway just fine, but I could not get it past or around the bed. Thus I had to take it apart every night and slide it under the bed. The HA staterooms do not have connecting rooms and we needed the connecting rooms to accommodate our family.

Just seems to me that the accessibility standards are set to be met at the minimum. I was told at the muster drill I had to transfer from the scooter. The place they wanted me to sit was too far for me to walk. I was told I HAD to transfer! Took me 20 minutes to get from the scooter to the seat I was assigned.

Not happy with the accessibility options.

My scooter fit through the stateroom doorway just fine, but I could not get it past or around the bed. Thus I had to take it apart every night and slide it under the bed. The HA staterooms do not have connecting rooms and we needed the connecting rooms to accommodate our family.

Just seems to me that the accessibility standards are set to be met at the minimum. I was told at the muster drill I had to transfer from the scooter. The place they wanted me to sit was too far for me to walk. I was told I HAD to transfer! Took me 20 minutes to get from the scooter to the seat I was assigned.

WOW! We never experienced anything like that. Sorry!

My in-laws will be on the cruise with us, we got them the HA verandah 8092. My MIL will have her scooter. Will she only be able to charge it at the location on the second floor, or are the HA cabins able to charge the scooters?

HA Staterooms should be able to accommodate a regular sized scooter through the door.

There are plenty of power outlets to charge it in the room and still move around.

Those in regular Staterooms would have to negotiate the scooter around the bed to pass it.

TO ADD:

Personal Mobility Equipment

To ensure the safety of all Guests, it is strictly prohibited to park personal mobility equipment in Guest corridors or stairwell landings.

Safety regulations require that all Guest personal equipment—including wheelchairs, electric mobility scooters, ECVs and strollers—must be stored in one of the following 2 areas when not in use:

Wheelchair-Accessible Staterooms: Consider booking a wheelchair-accessible stateroom, which has a 32-inch entrance door and features a wider path of travel inside the stateroom. Typical staterooms have a narrower entrance door (25.5 inches) and may not have the interior space to accommodate mobility equipment.

Alternative Parking: If you find that your mobility equipment will not fit inside your stateroom, you will be asked to park your equipment in the designated area equipped with electrical outlets. On the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, parking is located on Deck 6 Midship, just behind the elevators. On the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, parking is located on Deck 2 Midship, just outside Enchanted Garden.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guests-with-disabilities/

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Did you read the information on the Disney Cruise Line website before you booked or speak to a DCL representative or DCL knowledgeable TA?

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guests-with-disabilities/

Personal Mobility Equipment

To ensure the safety of all Guests, it is strictly prohibited to park personal mobility equipment in Guest corridors or stairwell landings.

Safety regulations require that all Guest personal equipment—including wheelchairs, electric mobility scooters, ECVs and strollers—must be stored in one of the following 2 areas when not in use:

Wheelchair-Accessible Staterooms: Consider booking a wheelchair-accessible stateroom, which has a 32-inch entrance door and features a wider path of travel inside the stateroom. Typical staterooms have a narrower entrance door (25.5 inches) and may not have the interior space to accommodate mobility equipment.

Alternative Parking: If you find that your mobility equipment will not fit inside your stateroom, you will be asked to park your equipment in the designated area equipped with electrical outlets. On the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, parking is located on Deck 6 Midship, just behind the elevators. On the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, parking is located on Deck 2 Midship, just outside Enchanted Garden.

May I ask where your muster station was that you could not stay in your scooter and had to transfer to a different seating area?

Sound like you were in the WDT theatre?

Would rooms next to each other have worked better in your case?

It does seem like you had many troubles accommodating your needs and obviously a non HA Stateroom will not meet all of the HA needs of XYZ HA Guest, so I'm wondering what you though you were booking and why you were disappointed.

The room layouts, location, and information is available?

ex techie