Tipping the porter on return?

Crazsea

I've read so many times about getting a Porter at the end of a cruise to help you with your luggage and get you in a cab right away.

I think it' a great idea, but how much do you tip for this great convenience? I will have three suitcases.:confused:

I've never used a Porter before after returning, but after my last CB cruise and waiting at the curb for an hour in a long unorganized line, I will from now on. I never knew that they take you out AND get you in a cab! Is this really true?:confused:

We cruised over Feb vacation and I knew there would be 8 ships in port when we returned. I had been reading horror stories about getting a taxi. Our flight was at 11:30 from FLL. We got off of the ship at 8:45, walked into the terminal where there were porters waiting, held up a 20.00 and he got our luggage (3 pieces) and a taxi right away. I did a 20.00 because I knew I would grab the attention. Honestly, I think 3.00 a bag is good. Or a ten.

I was on the Caribbean Princess about 2 months ago in Feb. and always use a porter...usually $10 for two bags and they always get me to a cab right away but this time was a nightmare...totally unorgainized and the porter tried but there were no cabs and a huge line. Some cabs weren't stopping as they arrived at the next person in line and just driving down to others that just got off the ship or had porters. Everyone was furious and I was just frantic because I had an early flight. I ended up running in the path of a cab waving a $20 dollar tip and he stopped for us because the dispatcher had lost control of the crowd and they were storming him.

I just returned from the Caribbean Princess again yesterday....and was one of the early ones off....I grabbed a porter right away and told him I would give him extra tip (for two bags) if he could get us "into" a cab. As usual he got us right out there and hailed a cab and put out luggage in the trunk and I gave him $25 ...they do work awfully hard and I think it was well worth every penny because I generally book around a 10:30-11:00 flight from FLL.

I hope that helps:)

Crazsea

With that one hundred pound suitcase of yours tip double.

Mike and Kellie from the Triumph say hi and happy sailing.

We leave Tuesday for a 10 day Princess Cruise aboard the Dawn.

Have fun say hi to your better half.

Zurmoly, TOOO funny!LMAO

Thank you for all your answers so far everyone!

Mike & Kellie, thanks for stopping in to say hello. We think about you two from time to time. Very happy to hear you are still CRUZIN! Have a great time Buddy!

Archived