Black Coral Jewelry

thegibsons

Black Coral is one of the rarest forms of coral. It grows extremely slowly. I have seen some beautiful pieces but they are usually too expensive for me. Howard K. Pressman I think is the artist that most people might recognize. I looked at even a little pair of earrings and decided to buy diamond ones for the same price! :eek:

June

His name is Bernard Passman. Go to http://www.passman.com. His jewlery is actually classified as works of art. I own 6 pieces and NEED more. Yes it is pricey, however it is really the only jewerly I wear besides my wedding ring. I am not really a diamond person. Most of his pieces are numbered and all are signed by him. The do increase in value, mine have. I have bought something at each of his galleries except Alaska and my hubby is trying to keep it that way. They are different and unique. He has made pieces for the Royality in England and others. It's all on his web site.

Black Coral is one of the rarest forms of coral. It grows extremely slowly.
And because of this you seldom if ever see it on a dive in Grand Cayman. It is was an animal it would be considered endangered and would be protected.

And because of this you seldom if ever see it on a dive in Grand Cayman. It is was an animal it would be considered endangered and would be protected.

Which is another reason I don't own any also! I am a science teacher and really hope that people appreciate the great biodiversity of the ocean and don't use it for a "treasure trove". (I write this in honor of Earth Week this week!)

June ;)

Since people have already listed the name of one of the black coral dealers in Grand Cayman on this thread I than have no concern in mentioning another.

We have purchased from Richards who is located in an upstairs store on front street just across from where the ship tenders dock. His prices are greatly below the better known dealer. Good looking and nice quality. Patricia, if still working there, is a highly professional salesperson to deal with. Highly recommend the store and her.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just reading a travel book on the Cayman Islands and it said Black Coral Art & Jewelry is LEGAL to bring back to the U.S., if you have a certificate that you purchased it from a licensed/approved seller. I checked my receipts from the pieces of jewelry I have and there is a statement of authenticity with it. I did not buy any of mine from a "big" jewlery store, but from a small shop and a man who makes it himself. The prices were more reasonable!

I think I read everything before and during a cruise and I don't ever remember seeing anything to warn people to be sure and buy from approved places. I will double check the cruise handouts for any warnings this fall. :)

This book was also pointing our anything made from turtles is illegal. They warned about the gift shop at the Turtle Farm. Make sure it is not from a real turtle or turtle shell.

Archived