Does any one know who will conduct an investigation of the incident on the Dawn?

smeyer418

If we are going to ask for an investagation, I want to know why service is so much slower with "Freestyle". As for the rogue wave, I'll ask in my prayers about that.

Just glad the injuries were as low as they were.

Actually I have a good answer for you why the service is slower with "Freestyle"...on an average 2 - seating cruise they expect X number of appetizers to be ordered, X number of entrees etc...per each seating.

They prepare that many starting at dinner seating time (so they won't have to be kept warm for long) and they don't have to prepare to order very often therefore the food is ready faster for the waiters to pick up and deliver to your table.

This is not the case with Freestyle as diners are seated constantly and many appetizers, entrees etc...must be prepared to order.

Therefore when dining freestyle the service appears "slower" when in reality it isn't any slower than dining in a fine restaurant...Just slower than on non-freestyle cruises.

I think an investigation is in order, not to find fault with the captain or NCL - unless that is just a by product of the investigation - but to try to determine all of the facts and circumstances surrounding this incident and add to our knowledge about these rogue waves. There have been various studies such as the one described at this web site http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMOKQL26WD_index_0.html and anything we can learn from this incident that may help in the future to predict rogue waves in a given area would be useful.

Therefore when dining freestyle the service appears "slower" when in reality it isn't any slower than dining in a fine restaurant...Just slower than on non-freestyle cruises.

It has never taken 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to dine in a fine restaurant. This was every night. Appetizers, salads and soups are always prepared in advance in any restaurant. Now lets investigate why the service is so bad with Freestyle.

Actually I didn't expect an answer. It is evident.

It has never taken 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to dine in a fine restaurant. This was every night. Appetizers, salads and soups are always prepared in advance in any restaurant. Now lets investigate why the service is so bad with Freestyle.

Actually I didn't expect an answer. It is evident.

Based on my experience (4 Freestyle cruises), I believe the length of your dinners was very much the exception to the rule. I've never had a dinner on a Freestyle cruise last longer than 2 hours. In addition, on the few occasions that we were running short on time, we simply informed the wait staff and they had us out faster. No problems whatsoever.

As for service, I've had good to excellent service on all my Freestyle cruises. I've also had good to excellent service on my non-NCL cruises. I firmly believe that good and bad service exist and that it has nothing to do with the cruise line, the cruise ship or anything else other than human nature. It ends up being the luck of the draw when you happen to receive bad service.

I'll bet SeaHorse and the rest of you blind acceptors of improbable facts without explanations still think there are WMD's in Iraq.

You people are really scaring me.

SeaHorse, you sound like you dropped out of school at 15.

So now you are saying that the rogue wave was improbable? If we are scaring you so much you may want to think about not hanging around here.

Based on my experience (4 Freestyle cruises), I believe the length of your dinners was very much the exception to the rule. I've never had a dinner on a Freestyle cruise last longer than 2 hours.

If this had happened once, twice or even three times, I would agree. But every evening meal??? Different table mates each night had the same question. It had happened to them each night also. As for the service, when the staff knows the gratuity is pre-arranged, it makes a difference. I know you can adjust the amount but the staff doesn't consider that. In talking with the staff, it is not a popular concept with them and they admitted what I am saying. It is not over board but noticable, some go the extra mile. Enough people love it and it is working for NCL and it won't keep me from cruising with them again. I just don't mlnd eating at the same time nightly to get better service.

Hey lets get back to the real investigation. That original question was a JOKE!!!!!

I blame the media for creating this "hysteria". Every report I saw on TV was done in such a matter as to make it sound like Norwegian had created this. I've been in rough seas before on a cruise ship and it was accepted that there was nothing the captain could do but keep on trucking. I am enough of a seaman to know that if you should go though a storm, you don't turn around and go back, but you continue on until you reach safe harbor. It wouldn't have been a big news story if the writers didn't embellish things a little bit. The story I saw on the Today show kept showing the same "flooded" cabin over and over, while commenting that there were many, many cabins flooded.

Typical media. I understand NCL is going to give 50% refund and 50% on future cruise. What more can you expect from an act of God. But then you had the man and his mother sue Holland America for hemorrhoid surgery and more because the ship wasn't clean and some of the crew was talking to hookers in port.

And to think it all started with a hot cup of coffee from McDonalds.

I can't see any point in conducting an investigation.....storms happen. I would give a commendation to the bridge crew for being alert and getting the bow turned into the heavy sea. :rolleyes:

An investigation IS warranted because of all the secrecy involving our scheduled early return to NY (5am instead of 10am). Storms do happen, but when you see the storm ahead of you and try to run through it, you begin to question why under the circumstances.

The captain did a great job in keeping us safe and getting us home alive, but over 3500 (crew and guest) peoples lives were put in jeapordy, possibly due to NCL wanting that ship back in NYC early.

Why am I wasting my time? :rolleyes:

NCL went above and beyond in their handling of this situation. They didn't have to give these people anything but they gave refunds and cruise credit. Why is everyone so suspicious of large companies? Everyone wants to find someone to blame. Sometimes there is no one to blame. Things happen sometimes for NO REASON. There doesn't always have to be someone to blame.

You weren't on the ship, You weren't involved with all the "cloak and dagger" secrecy involved with the canceling of the Bahamas stop and the 5am return time home. Storms happen, but you weren't on the ship. They barreled straight into that storm trying to get back to NYC (instead of diverting like ALL other cruise ships due when storms are present).

This wasn't a matter of a surprise storm. This storm was already present, and they chose the risk of running through it to get back to NYC for whatever they had planned for Sunday.

When we pulled into Charleston, there were over 10 freighters in the "intercoastal" area. They got off the ocean and waited out the storm. It is what we should have done. That is the point!

I had reason to monitor the storm other than anything connected with the cruise and it reached from Florida up above Virginia and would have been almost impossible to avoid. Maybe the "secrecy" of an early arrival was to try to get above the storm as quick as they could. YOu know how people complain if they don't arrive on time.

You don't have a clue. YOU weren't on the ship, YOU weren't involved with all the "cloak and dagger" secrecy involved with the canceling of the Bahamas stop and the 5am return time home. Storms happen, but you weren't on the ship. They barreled straight into that storm trying to get back to NYC (instead of diverting like ALL other cruise ships due when storms are present).

This wasn't a matter of a surprise storm. This storm was already present, and they chose the risk of running through it to get back to NYC for whatever they had planned for Sunday.

No, I wasn't on the ship. I think you are being a little over dramatic here. "Cloak and Dagger Secrecy" :rolleyes: . When are you filing the lawsuit?

No, I wasn't on the ship. I think you are being a little over dramatic here. "Cloak and Dagger Secrecy" :rolleyes: . When are you filing the lawsuit?

No lawsuits here. Just want to know why we didn't pull off the ocean like the other ships we saw in Charleston.

No lawsuits here. Just want to know why we didn't pull off the ocean like the other ships we saw in Charleston.

And I am sure there was a very good reason for what they did. Remember, we are both in the same boat (no pun intended). Both you and I are clueless as to why NCL did what they did. Even though you were on the ship, you are not anymore "in the loop" than I am.

You weren't on the ship, You weren't involved with all the "cloak and dagger" secrecy involved with the canceling of the Bahamas stop and the 5am return time home. Storms happen, but you weren't on the ship. They barreled straight into that storm trying to get back to NYC (instead of diverting like ALL other cruise ships due when storms are present).

When we pulled into Charleston, there were over 10 freighters in the "intercoastal" area. They got off the ocean and waited out the storm. It is what we should have done. That is the point!

vllygrrl in Middletown NJ you're absolutely correct.... that mean old Captain should have seen that big storm on his thingie and realized there would be a Rogue, Rouge, Red, Rare wave close behind and taken evasive action. He had options but chose to ignore them, he could easily have made a left hand turn and run up the Chesapeake Bay to Norfolk, or better yet, slid up into the Potomic River where you would have had the option of flying out of Dulles or even taking Amtrack right into the Big Apple.

As the Dawn docked in New York today, spokespersons for the Coast Guard were quoted as stating on the various networks that their investigation found that the captain and crew performed properly in this emergency. The ship has sailed this evening with apparently all available cabins occupied.

I think this was a frewak thing. But I will say that ships today are not built for "rough" weather. I just got back from the Star Princess and Staurday night going back into Fort Lauderdale, the report from the bridge said slight seas. The didnt look like slight seas and this 109,000 ton ship rocked and rolled. Some much of these ship are out of the water. The Norway and the QE2 and QM2 are true ocean liners.

Even the QE2 got hit by a biggy in 1995 and lost part of its handrail. this is a sea to be dealt with Radar cant always predict. You cant always out run a storm Their is always a reasonableness of what to do in a storm.

Was a one wave or a constant battering of very large waves?

Was their a reason to be in life preservers all the time?

What kind of announcemnts were being made.

Did the band play on?

Glad everyone for the most part is okay

I'll bet SeaHorse and the rest of you blind acceptors of improbable facts without explanations still think there are WMD's in Iraq.

You people are really scaring me.

SeaHorse, you sound like you dropped out of school at 15.

Why thank you, you have put me in with a special "class" of people. Something that you have none of. You seem to enjoy putting people down to cover your own inadequacies. Host Cecilia being your prime target.

You are a bully and bullies go on my ignore list. Have a nice life alone. I am sure you don`t have anyone to share it with.

Where did those black helicopters playing that scary music come from? :rolleyes:

WMD? Try asking the Iranians or the Kurds.

Ships change their itineraries....it's a big ocean....knowing about this weather system...I'm shocked that they sailed thru it. During hurricane season Eastern is routed to Western in the event of a storm and vice versa....ports are cancelled, to AVOID these situations. This weather system was compared to a hurricane.

Sunseas, I have my captain's certificate.....just a 6 pack and have over 40yrs of boating. I live in Fla and I can tell you that a rogue wave is not predictable and can happen anytime anywhere. Also, FYI hurricanes occur during season in both the eastern and western carribean. Hurricanes travel slower and are tracked by NOAA Satellites 24hrs a day. Ships are able to avoid hurricanes and tropical storms. Rogue waves can appear suddenly from quickly forming severe storms. the sky can be blue one hour and the next you are in a gale force wind.

Weather is not an exact science. Anyone who sues NCL for this is not a realist.

I think there should be a huge NTSB, FBI, CIA, INTERPPOL investigations. I think that Congress should hold hearings and then that dastardly mother nature will be put right in her place. Damn Her Damn Her, Jail to mother nature. he he he

My husband recently flew to Italy and missed his overseas connection out of Atlanta due to bad weather. He was on his own! The airlines do not help or provide compensation for weather related incidents. He found his own hotel and footed the bill! Everyone on the Dawn should be glad they are okay and grateful for all that NCL sounds willing to do for them! ____ happens!

Unfortunately, whatever NCL does will not be enough for some. It reminds me of the story I use to read to my kids when they were little...the one about the fisherman's wife who wanted 'the sun, the moon, and the stars'!

Rogue waves are just that..rogue. Lawyers will not be able to find a sueable (?) party to blame for what happened.

Archived