QM2 Power Loss

facultative

Its routine maintenance ...... Oh no its not its a conspiracy........ Its routine maintenance ...... Oh no its not its a deliberate lie .......

Perhaps if everyone calmed down and read what was said it might be a case of some rights and truth on both sides.

It may just actually be true that planned routine maintenance was being undertaken and this directly lead to an abnormal reaction leading to the safety system switching the power off. Clearly no one foresaw the power loss occuring and thus didn't close lifts and made announcements before the event. However they clearly reacted and within a short time power was restored.

Was anyone percieved to be in danger of the routine maintenance - no - was anyone potentially at risk when the power outage occurred - yes evidenced by the quick exit of the commodore - was the risk continued once he had established the cause and action was in place - increasingly no and therefore no need to make a big issue of the power outage. Perhaps they decided to try the systems again once the ship was mainly asleep and quiet, with reduced impact on passengers and found the reaction was the same.

It would seem a reasonable explanation and other than the man who had been stuck in a lift account for the lack of panic, and lack of need for complaints and anxiety. icon7.gif

Its routine maintenance ...... Oh no its not its a conspiracy........ Its routine maintenance ...... Oh no its not its a deliberate lie .......

Perhaps if everyone calmed down and read what was said it might be a case of some rights and truth on both sides.

It may just actually be true that planned routine maintenance was being undertaken and this directly lead to an abnormal reaction leading to the safety system switching the power off. Clearly no one foresaw the power loss occuring and thus didn't close lifts and made announcements before the event. However they clearly reacted and within a short time power was restored.

Was anyone percieved to be in danger of the routine maintenance - no - was anyone potentially at risk when the power outage occurred - yes evidenced by the quick exit of the commodore - was the risk continued once he had established the cause and action was in place - increasingly no and therefore no need to make a big issue of the power outage. Perhaps they decided to try the systems again once the ship was mainly asleep and quiet, with reduced impact on passengers and found the reaction was the same.

It would seem a reasonable explanation and other than the man who had been stuck in a lift account for the lack of panic, and lack of need for complaints and anxiety. icon7.gif

Chet, I've taken a few moments to visually san threads on this forum for the past few months and bring them foward. Even at a cursory glance, I was able to find a few first person accounts of recent outages on QM2. These reports do not cause me panic or anxiety, but -to me at least, they are a cause for concern and demanding of an response as to the cause and proposed remedy.

While several posters have interestingly suggested what they believe are "reasonal explanations", that is not the same as a factual explanation from Cunard/Carnival - which is why some posters are calling for a response from Cunard/Carnival.

BTW, I understand that you and some other posters do not feel this problem is anything out of the ordinary. Does this mean that power outages currently occur as frequently on other luxury ships/liners? If so, could you please let me know which ships as I would rather avoid sailing with them. Thanks. -Salacia

Is there a cruise line that has never had any of it's ships suffer any kind of breakdown or mechanical malfunction?

I could be wrong but I'm sure every form of mechanical and animal transport has at some time encountered some kind of unplanned outage. On a couple of occasions my car has broken down. Rather than selling it and buying a horse, I non-hysterically realized that these things happen from time to time.

What happened on QM2 recently were two relatively short power outages that inconvenienced no one, apart from one guy stuck in a lift for ten minutes. Happily the reaction of those passengers onboard is in stark contrast to the nonsical hysteria and conspiracy theories that are currently in play here.

Hmmm...those who chime in to defend the notion that it was "routine maintenance" seem to be posters who don't post on this board regularly (I haven't seen them anyway).

It's funny you should comment on that. I was thinking exactly the opposite, with some exceptions.

Is there a cruise line that has never had any of it's ships suffer any kind of breakdown or mechanical malfunction?

I could be wrong but I'm sure every form of mechanical and animal transport has at some time encountered some kind of unplanned outage. On a couple of occasions my car has broken down. Rather than selling it and buying a horse, I non-hysterically realized that these things happen from time to time.

What happened on QM2 recently were two relatively short power outages that inconvenienced no one, apart from one guy stuck in a lift for ten minutes. Happily the reaction of those passengers onboard is in stark contrast to the nonsical hysteria and conspiracy theories that are currently in play here.

I don't recall seeing any conspiracy theories posted here, just the desire for more transparency so that we know what is happening. Sure things may go wrong occasionally, but it a seems to have happened much more often lately. I've done the Transatlantics many times, and there were few mishaps like that in my experience. The only one that stands out in my mind was the gangway collapsing into the ocean in Southampton (before anyone tried to disembark), which caused a delay in disembarkation of a couple of hours or so. I did not experience any power failures or fires or elevators trapping people.

What several of us are discussing is the two recent short power outages not as an isolated event, but rather in the context of several problems with the system that goes back several years.

While other ships currently in service have indeed experienced events at sea (some with quite dramatic results), the question is are they luxury ships/liners with a similarly long history of repeated lose of power/fires that has occurred on QM2?

I think use of terms "nonsical[sic] hysteria and conspiracy theroies[sic]" to describe the discussion is very creative, but inaccurate. Nevertheless, I'm happy for those who have no concern whatsoever and consider this to be a non-issue. For the sake of passengers and crew, I sincerely hope you will never be proven wrong.

Salacia

I just looked at the website Events At Sea which I had not heard of before. Do not recommend it for the feint of heart. It details propulsion problems, fire, illness, missed ports, stranded passengers, person overboard, on board crime, plumbing problems, bed bugs, bomb threats, technical problems, vandalism and more. QM2 problems are included but all major cruise lines are in there also. I have a voyage booked on the QM2 this Spring and in honor of this thread, will book another asap.

I just looked at the website Events At Sea which I had not heard of before. Do not recommend it for the feint of heart. It details propulsion problems, fire, illness, missed ports, stranded passengers, person overboard, on board crime, plumbing problems, bed bugs, bomb threats, technical problems, vandalism and more. QM2 problems are included but all major cruise lines are in there also. I have a voyage booked on the QM2 this Spring and in honor of this thread, will book another asap.

As a Carnival Stockholder, I am happy to read that you will book repeated voyages with Cunard. Bon Voyage, -Salacia

Archived