Which airport is closest to Galveston?

hutat

DW and I are in the early stages of booking our next cruise. We have decided on the Carnival Magic out of Galveston or the Carnival Breeze out of Miami.We know that if we pick the Breeze we'll be flying into MIA but which is the nearest airport to Galveston? Need to know to check airfare and decide.Thank you in advance for your help.

Hobby (HOU) is the closest. Bush Intercontinental (IAH) is about twice as far away and is the major Houston airport.

I can't think that IAH is twice as far away from Galveston as is Hobby. Hobby is closer for sure, but IAH is just on the North side of Houston. Are you thinking about a shuttle? Getting from Houston to Galveston will up the price of the cruise a little. We did enjoy the Magic last week.

Nancy

IAH is 72 miles from Galveston, Hobby is 42 miles.

Well... that is pretty close to double. I stand corrected. It just didn't seem like it was double to me. My how distance goes away when you are having fun. (sometimes.)

Nancy

Well... that is pretty close to double. I stand corrected. It just didn't seem like it was double to me. My how distance goes away when you are having fun. (sometimes.)

Nancy

We can drive door to door Galveston home to Bush and drop someone off

in little over one hour at the most at our leasure pace, unless there is a wreck or rush hour!

This seems logical driving at 60 to 70 miles an hour

based information below

According to resource of galveston.com:

Directions from Bush Intercontinental to Galveston (54 Miles): Begin at George Bush Intercontinental Airport on Terminal Rd S and go East for 0.6 miles. Bear left and go Southeast for 300 feet. Turn left on Greens Rd and go East for 2.4 miles. Turn right on Eastex Fwy, US-59, US-59 N and go South for 0.6 miles. Bear left on ramp and go South for 1000 feet. Continue on Eastex Fwy, US-59 and go South for 14 miles. Bear right on ramp at sign reading "I-45 to Galveston / Dallas" and go South for 0.6 miles. Continue on I-45 and go Southeast for 45 miles to Galveston Island.

Directions from Hobby to Galveston (31 Miles): Begin at William P Hobby on Lockheed Ave and go North for 0.2 miles. Turn left on Convair St and go West for 200 feet. Turn right on Telephone Rd, TX-35 and go North for 0.3 miles. Turn right on Airport Blvd and go East for 2.4 miles. Turn right on Gulf Fwy and go Southeast for 0.6 miles. Continue on ramp at sign reading "I-45 S" and go Southeast for 0.3 miles. Continue on I-45 and go Southeast for 35 miles to Galveston Island.

Directions to The Texas Cruise Ship Terminal: Once you cross the Causeway (the big bridge) on to Galveston Island, take the very first exit (Exit 1C) to Harborside Drive. Follow the feeder road and go left under I45. Follow Harborside Drive for 4.5 miles. After you pass several cruise parking lots and just after the cruise terminal, take a left at the 22nd street intersection and veer left past the Fisherman's Warf restaurant.

Archived