Transatlantic Cruises.

bluewhite

We are thinking of booking a TA from Barcelona to Miami in November on the new Reflection. Has anyone had experience at this time of year on that itinerary? Someone said these huge ships are built to takr anything the weather can throw at these ships.:eek:

We cruised the Solstice Rome to Ft Lauderdale in Nov 09. We had a day of bad wx leaving Rome and in Livorno (Florence), but great wx through the rest of the Med ports. The crossing was very nice. We had a day of rain and cool wx one day, but that was it. Of course, that is what ocurred on one cruise. Never know on the next on this year.

We are on the same cruise, Reflection Barcelona to FLL. Come join us on the Roll Call for that cruise in the Celebrity Connections Roll Call - Reflections, then the TransAtlantic. We love them. Good ports and good At Sea Days.

Den

We are thinking of booking a TA from Barcelona to Miami in November on the new Reflection. Has anyone had experience at this time of year on that itinerary? Someone said these huge ships are built to takr anything the weather can throw at these ships.:eek:

As far as the weather goes, you can never tell, we have done 3 TA's, and our best weather was the one where we crossed in December. (Just try to get a cabin low down and mid ship if you are worried about sea sickness) The sea was like glass and I kept forgetting I was on a ship. I was so worried it would be cold that I brought one pair of capris for "just in case" Well it turned out to be so hot after we left Madeira that I wore the same ones almost every day.

Last year in November we had pretty rough seas for about four days and it was quite cool, but it was a more northern crossing, coming from Southampton. Just bring layers.

We love TA's so much that we are booked for our 4th one on the Silhouette Dec 1st

No matter whether you chose a spring or fall transatlantic, the weather can be good and still have rough seas or seas as smooth as glass. You never know. But with that itinerary, you will avoid the notorious Bay of Biscay. Transatlantics are wonderful and we are booked for our seventh one in October. If you are worried about seasickness, the previous poster advised well. Just book midship and a lower deck.

We went on Soltice TA in November/December 2011. And Century 2009 and Milli 2007. From Barcelona to a Florida port. I guess we are addicts :D.

The itineraries did vary but once your on the southern crossing I'd guess pretty smooth sailing. We've had a couple of rain days but for all three crossings more sun than rain.

Doesn't mean you will not have the same experience. I'm in Ohio and we haven't had winter yet this year :p.

Do make sure you spend some extra time in Barcelona. Our favorite city in Europe.

We did the Northern eastbound crossing in April of 2007, quite rough. Southern crossing this past November Westbound and was very warm. We had a tour buddy, poor guy only brought long sleeved shirts, he was cooking all the way across, with temps in the 70s and low 80s.

We only had one day that was rough and that was just outside of Gibraltar, and that can happen at any time of year.

However, CAUTION, Transatlantics are addictive and you run the danger of becoming part of what Orator calls the lunatic fringe.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Liz

We cruised the Solstice Rome to Ft Lauderdale in Nov 09. We had a day of bad wx leaving Rome and in Livorno (Florence), but great wx through the rest of the Med ports. The crossing was very nice. We had a day of rain and cool wx one day, but that was it. Of course, that is what ocurred on one cruise. Never know on the next on this year.

We are on the same cruise, Reflection Barcelona to FLL. Come join us on the Roll Call for that cruise in the Celebrity Connections Roll Call - Reflections, then the TransAtlantic. We love them. Good ports and good At Sea Days.

Den

Thanks for your advica Den. We are doing the Venice to Barcelona cruise first. Only our fourth cruise. We are so addicted. Love the huge wavess that we had on the Sillouette in January. It will be southern, didn't think of that, feel better now about booking.

Thanks again everyone. One question. Is there a difference sailing across in a huge ship like the Reflection and the smaller of say 1200 pasengers plus crew? What I mean is the rolling of the ships in twenty foot waves. Hope this isn't to silly a question:)

Thanks again everyone. One question. Is there a difference sailing across in a huge ship like the Reflection and the smaller of say 1200 pasengers plus crew? What I mean is the rolling of the ships in twenty foot waves. Hope this isn't to silly a question:)

Personally, I'd take the bigger ship but that is just me. Psychologically, the 26+ ft waves we experienced on the Jewel of the Seas looked pretty scary looking out from our deck 3 dining table and might look the same on a smaller ship. However, they all have the modern stablizers, though I think even ships of the same design can produce different results. My seasickness was worse on the Brilliance of the Seas and the Star Princess than on the rest of them-lol.

As other posters have mentioned, weather and sea conditions are unpredictable. But all of the newer ships have stablizers intended for rough seas.

Archived