Trip documents

capnpugwash

I have the same thoughts. When defending Cunard's dress code, sometimes I feel like a soldier giving a battle looking lost beforehand.

But this is not a reason not to give the battle! ;):D

After all, the dress code is really one of Cunard's strongest and unique points and it deserves to remain so!

Completely agree.

And good point about the questionnaire. I will make sure to comment on the diminution in numbers of formal nights next time out.

J

Please don’t erode part of what makes Cunard and Queen Mary 2 in particular, so special. More formal nights please !

Not sure why this change has been made.

I think, Cunard wants to open their ships to more target groups to fill the ships. But I think it's the wrong way. If this behaviour goes on an on there will be no difference between the Queens and the party ships like Aida (which also belong to Carnival). If this becomes true I will not do another crossing/cruise again.

Frank

I think, Cunard wants to open their ships to more target groups to fill the ships. But I think it's the wrong way. If this behaviour goes on an on there will be no difference between the Queens and the party ships like Aida (which also belong to Carnival).

Dear Frank,

This has been a constant concern since Cunard's acquisition by Carnival. It is encouraging that generally Carnival has kept Cunard's identity to an acceptable degree so far (it's my personal opinion, I must say - some people do not agree with this). Moreover Carnival has shown active interest in Cunard, first by designing QM2 especially as an ocean liner (with a cost of more than 40% than building a conventional cruise ship of the same size, let alone that it was the largest passenger ship in the world at the time of building) and then by adding the two magnificent Vistas, thus endowing the fleet with superb hardware and giving Cunard a new push.

But unfortunately money matters, especially in difficult financial times like today. So I agree with you that nobody guarantees that Cunard's identity will remain distinct and intact in the future.

I think the only we can do is to keep informing Cunard of what we want to continue to enjoy in their product. Either through this site (there is some indication that they read it), or by contacting them directly.

They do toss in the odd lobster and beef wellington on the final formal but as the altered night is in the middle of the trip I doubt that they would be making any savings on costs that might otherwise break the corporate bank.

Though our Panama roundtrip(Queen Victoria) was generally excellent, the last formal night dinner was a letdown. Of course, they still do that corny chef parade(unless you're in the grills). The food that final night was really quite a disappointment. I should have chosen the Wellington. The Lobster was the "spiney" version, which really is just a large shrimp. In the grills you got New England/Canadian lobster(as it should be). We used to get lobster tail in Britannia. Now it is thermidore. That way you can put tiny(and I mean really tiny)portions in the tail shell. I got no more than 3 very small forkfulls before it was gone. Really quite a letdown. Other than that the food was really quite good. We found dining in the Lido(Bamboo/Coriandor/Prime) to be superior to Britannia. I didn't mind the $10 surcharge. It was worth it for the quality. We have booked next Jan 20 for a trip, but will wait to see if prices comedown. We paid $1850 P/P for an A-1 this past voyage. Next year, just a standard "inside" is $2500. We may cancel & rebook if discounts don't come along. I've really been hearing good things about Oceania(especially, if you're a foodie, as we are)We've got lots of time to wait & see.

Dear Frank,

I think the only we can do is to keep informing Cunard of what we want to continue to enjoy in their product. Either through this site (there is some indication that they read it), or by contacting them directly.

Hello Robert,

I'm with you and I think it's wonderful that Mr. Arison had taken much money to build the QM2. But as you also told it's important to tell our wishes and dislikes and hope someone takes care about them.:)

Frank

Archived