Trip documents

capnpugwash

I would never knowingly press the Go Green button and have just received my Pre-Voyage Documentation. It seemed to be the same quality paper and contained the usual information including the fact that there are now only 3 formals per crossing for some reason. I turned to the back and found that the usual 6 luggage labels are enclosed but they are no longer the nice tear out ones with the cut-outs to enable them to be fastened around the handles on the cases, instead they are printed on 6 separate A4 sheets and look identical to the ones that you can download from the web site. I do wonder why Cunard bother sending these labels and going to the bother and expense of inserting them in the booklet. It seems quite naff, or is it just me?

Hi Capn',

I also would never press the "go green" button as I like to have some "valuable" paper in my hand even if it's not needed in the age of computers. I also like luggage lables which I can trust and not one done from normal paper.

Did you get your documentation for your journey on QM2 in July or have you booked another voyage with Cunard.

Regards Frank

Very sad. Formality is one of Cunard's best points, they should adhere to it.

This is the point I forgot to mention in my post above. I agree with you that with formality Cunard gains points for going with them beside having such a great ship like the QM2. But it's the whole package which has to fit.

Frank

Cost cutting since Formal Nights have special dinner entrees not normally available on semi-formal and elegant casual nights?

There certainly seem to be fewer formal nights than there used to be. We've got a 20 nighter in September with 11 sea days, and only 5 formal nights!

J

I would never knowingly press the Go Green button and have just received my Pre-Voyage Documentation. It seemed to be the same quality paper and contained the usual information including the fact that there are now only 3 formals per crossing for some reason. I turned to the back and found that the usual 6 luggage labels are enclosed but they are no longer the nice tear out ones with the cut-outs to enable them to be fastened around the handles on the cases, instead they are printed on 6 separate A4 sheets and look identical to the ones that you can download from the web site. I do wonder why Cunard bother sending these labels and going to the bother and expense of inserting them in the booklet. It seems quite naff, or is it just me?

Cap'n I would hate to see you arrive at Soton with naff labels. Have this one on me.

SS

antiquelabelPugwashcopy.jpg

Cost cutting since Formal Nights have special dinner entrees not normally available on semi-formal and elegant casual nights?

They do toss in the odd lobster and beef wellington on the final formal but as the altered night is in the middle of the trip I doubt that they would be making any savings on costs that might otherwise break the corporate bank.

I have never noticed any "special" entrees on formal nights, just the same old same thing.

I am a Diamond member so have a few meals to compare

I wonder who sets the tone (number of formals etc) on any given cruise, Head Office or is it the staff on board, who sad to say sometimes forget they are on Cunard as staff and think THEY are the ones on board to have a good time.

Who are the "important people" on board the fare paying passengers or the staff?

Seems very early for them to be sent out if this is for a late July trip.

I've never noticed the food in the MDR to be any different on a Formal night compared to other nights.

But I certainly agree about cutting down the number of formal nights. For example, we're on a 14 night cruise on the QV in June and there are only 4 formal nights, which I think is a bit poor really.

Good Afternoon capnpugwash.

We were told by the TA that it was all electronic and we had to download all the bumpf. Never mind its done now. The luggage labels are about as useful as a chocolate fire guard! As an aside, you were right re Manhattan docking. I have been suitably admonished by the sales girl for daring to email instead of paying the Cunard telephone charges. I did remind her that I was a paying customer - PG as well, but hey "what to do":confused: In future I will ask the oracle(your good self) re my future trips. I hope that we like ours through the Panama Canal enough to book another cruise :)

I booked recently, have carefully avoided the 'go green' button since, and have now received this rather confusing email, which reads to my little brain as "we're going to send the stuff electronically whether you opt to go green or not". I have responded, politely but firmly, but have not yet received a reply:

Thank you for choosing to sail with one of The Most Famous Ocean Liners in the World. We hope that you are looking forward to your voyage.

As part of our commitment to reducing our impact on the environment, we now offer you your pre-voyage information electronically. This means you will receive your information earlier than if we were to mail it to you.

To find out more about Go Green please visit your Voyage Personaliser and click on the 'Go Green' button. We will email you again when your information becomes available

Good Afternoon capnpugwash.

We were told by the TA that it was all electronic and we had to download all the bumpf. Never mind its done now. The luggage labels are about as useful as a chocolate fire guard! As an aside, you were right re Manhattan docking. I have been suitably admonished by the sales girl for daring to email instead of paying the Cunard telephone charges. I did remind her that I was a paying customer - PG as well, but hey "what to do":confused: In future I will ask the oracle(your good self) re my future trips. I hope that we like ours through the Panama Canal enough to book another cruise :)

I am sure that you will have a great trip. The canal is very interesting and there are 3 locks which are great although I was very aware that one lock is much the same as the next. Others stayed on deck for the entire transit. We were on the port side and had a great view of everything after the first lock from the balcony. The method of going through the locks with the "donkeys" rail engines is very clever and the ship is a tight fit in the locks. Hope you do have a good time.

As I live in Cyprus I don't have the option of having my documents posted to me, so I have to have them electronically. Last time I sailed I printed off the luggage labels, after having filled in the details, cut them out and took them to the local stationers and had them laminated - cost 20 cents each, and well worth it.

all@c - if I need to speak to Cunard, I firstly go onto http://www.saynoto0870.com and from there obtain an "ordinary" phone number as opposed to a premium rate one - which are horrendously expensive from here. Works everytime, and the people at Cunard are none the wiser :D

As I live in Cyprus I don't have the option of having my documents posted to me, so I have to have them electronically. Last time I sailed I printed off the luggage labels, after having filled in the details, cut them out and took them to the local stationers and had them laminated - cost 20 cents each, and well worth it.

all@c - if I need to speak to Cunard, I firstly go onto www.saynoto0870.com and from there obtain an "ordinary" phone number as opposed to a premium rate one - which are horrendously expensive from here. Works everytime, and the people at Cunard are none the wiser :D

I use a roll of clear parcel tape and havimg folded them I tape them back and front and then they are very strong, I do like your idea of lamination.

all@c - if I need to speak to Cunard, I firstly go onto http://www.saynoto0870.com and from there obtain an "ordinary" phone number as opposed to a premium rate one - which are horrendously expensive from here. Works everytime, and the people at Cunard are none the wiser :D

Thanks for that eratog2 Lamination has been done £1 total. :)

Phone call made then emails follow.

Regards

Dave

I booked recently, have carefully avoided the 'go green' button since, and have now received this rather confusing email, which reads to my little brain as "we're going to send the stuff electronically whether you opt to go green or not". I have responded, politely but firmly, but have not yet received a reply:

Thank you for choosing to sail with one of The Most Famous Ocean Liners in the World. We hope that you are looking forward to your voyage.

As part of our commitment to reducing our impact on the environment, we now offer you your pre-voyage information electronically. This means you will receive your information earlier than if we were to mail it to you.

To find out more about Go Green please visit your Voyage Personaliser and click on the 'Go Green' button. We will email you again when your information becomes available

I got one too. The way I read it is that you still have the choice to click the Go Green button or not.

My email says: we are now able to offer you the opportunity to receive your pre-voyage information electronically.

I got one too. The way I read it is that you still have the choice to click the Go Green button or not.

My email says: we are now able to offer you the opportunity to receive your pre-voyage information electronically.

Yes. It also says "we will email you again when your information becomes available". This doesn't seem to bode well for my prospects of anything whatsoever being posted.

Anyway, being naturally suspicious of anyone offering "opportunities", I have told them I have gone even greener than them, and asked them to post it.

Mary:)

I was also very disappointed to see that Cunard are reducing the formal nights on QM2 which previously had more than QV and QE.

I posted this comment on the Cunard Blog last November but got no response from Cunard:

Queen Mary 2 is a very special ship and there is something magical about making a transatlantic crossing. The tradition of Cunard and the ship adds to this feeling and makes formal evenings occasions to relish. I was therefore disappointed to see from the dress code published in the FAQs that there are less formal nights on QM2 in 2012. As an example there will only be 3 and not 4 formal nights on a transatlantic crossing. On the 2012 World cruise there will only be 33 formal nights compared to 43 in 2011. Please don’t erode part of what makes Cunard and Queen Mary 2 in particular, so special. More formal nights please !

Not sure why this change has been made.

Will

I was also very disappointed to see that Cunard are reducing the formal nights on QM2 which previously had more than QV and QE ... Not sure why this change has been made.

Will

I can only suppose that they are moving with the prevailing wind and reducing the numbers. After all, it can't possibly make the slightest difference to the profit margin or overheads, or anything else for that matter, if a given night is formal or semi formal or elegant-scruff-order.

They probably just feel that they will attract more passengers if they have fewer formal nights.

WRONG!

J

I Please don’t erode part of what makes Cunard and Queen Mary 2 in particular, so special. More formal nights please !

DITTO!

In our last Cunard cruise we wrote especially about it in the last-day questionnaire.

We would also like more semi-formal nights at the expense of casual ones, please. It's only a tie more, after all!:)

I think it would be nice if more people made such requests in the questionnaire. Maybe they really read it!

I can only suppose that they are moving with the prevailing wind and reducing the numbers.

They probably just feel that they will attract more passengers if they have fewer formal nights.

WRONG!

J

I have the same thoughts. When defending Cunard's dress code, sometimes I feel like a soldier giving a battle looking lost beforehand.

But this is not a reason not to give the battle! ;):D

After all, the dress code is really one of Cunard's strongest and unique points and it deserves to remain so!

Archived