Digital camera pictures to a CD?

wildlifeart

I'm going to Alaska June 6th on the Star. I'm taking my digital camera which uses a compact flash card to store pictures. I have enough memory for about 400 pictures. I'm looking for options if I run out of memory.

Does anyone know if the Star has a service where I can have my digital pictures downloaded onto a CD?

Thanks

wildlifeart

Why not just invest in some additional CF media?

Prices are plummeting. 256mb CF card at Costco for around $41

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

almamater.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Followed by:

Carnival Valor 10/30/05 CC Group

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

wildlifeart, you have a few options. one tef43 stated correctly, price of digital media is dropping daily, shop around to find the best deals. two bring along a few blank cd's, the ships photo service will transfer them for you for a nominal fee. i think i read somewhere where it was like $10-15. i have a olympus stylus 400 with 4 cards, 3 -128 and 1 64. think i bought my extra cards on ebay for less than a hundred dollars. also consider your power, if you use rechargeables you might want to be sure to bring an extra set. i bought 3 batteries on ebay for like $10 each.

happy shooting and happy sailing.

NCL Leeward 9/97

Carnival Celebration 1/99

NCL Sea 2/00

NCL Sea 12/00

Grand Princess 9/01

NCL Norway 4/02

RCCL Rhapsody 8/02

NCL Norway 2/03

RCCL Rhapsody 8/03

NCL Sea 2/04

RCCL Grandeur 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;1;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Water water everywhere, yippie!!!</BR>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tef43:

Why not just invest in some additional CF media?

Prices are plummeting. 256mb CF card at Costco for around $41<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good idea, but you need to make sure your camera can support a 256 MB. I have an older HP 215, and it only supports up to 128 MB. I found this out after I bought a 128 MB Card before a cruise or two ago. Luckily I didn't buy a 256!

I'm not sure where I found this out, you may want to search on the manufacturer's website.

<u>I've traveled the world and the seven seas aboard...</U>

- Carnival Triumph New England/Canada 4 night August 1999

- Celebrity Zenith Bermida 7 night August 2001

- Norwegian Sea Bahamian 7 night July 2002

- Celebrity Galaxy Western Carribbean 10 night August 2003

- Soon to be... Norwegian Wind 14 Night Vacation Package -10 Nights shipboard and 4 nights at the Sheraton in Honolulu- August 7 - 22 2004

By the way, I have no problem with anyone emailng me about these cruises or general experience...just drop me a line at sbcs5390@optonline.net!

Would love to use the "transfer images to CD" solution onboard in June. Just bought CDs to try to learn this myself, so this will probably sound stupid:

Is this the type of blank CD to bring?:

Data CD-R 80min/700MB

How many 5.0 megapixel pictures does a CD hold?

Thanks for helping the tech-challenged. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOMofONE:

How many 5.0 megapixel pictures does a CD hold?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That really depends on which resolution/compression settings that you are going to use when taking the pictures.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

almamater.jpg

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;10;9;7;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Followed by:

Carnival Valor 10/30/05 CC Group

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

And then:

Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;12;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

The other factor to consider is the reliability of the ship's transfer system. We had neighbors who had their digital camera pictures transferred to a CD while in Alaska. They were devasted when they got home to find only 12 pictures from the memory card had transferred correctly, and they lost the majority of their pictures.

We were able to recover some of them that hadn't been written over, but the others are gone forever. I prefer to buy extra memory rather than take that risk. If it's absolutely necessary, I would have them burned to the CD and then bring it up separately before you erase the pictures to make sure everything works correctly.

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If it's absolutely necessary, I would have them burned to the CD and then bring it up separately before you erase the pictures to make sure everything works correctly.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if I know someone in my group is bringing a laptop then I can get photo place to transfer and check they are OK before deleting? Or can photo place show me they are OK befoe paying?

And again the # of pics that can fit? - If compressed how many vs. not compressed?

Forgive me - tryin to follow along best I can here

If I can afford extra media I will buy but so far have only (2) 128 and (1) 256, so about 200 pics (at 5.0) but I also have my SLR with about 15 rolls of film.

First time vacationing with the digital so not sure how much I will rely on one or other.

Thanks again for the replies & continued support - Cruise Critic is the BEST!

Tina

If you own an ipod you have another option. I purchase the Belkin Media Reader to use with the ipod. Everyday I downloaded the pictures to the ipod with the media reader then I would wipe the card clean for the next day of picture taking. All my pictures were on my ipod and ready to put on my pc when I got home. The best $77 I spent in a long time!

Happy Cruising!

I've never tried to transfer them at the ship, so I don't know what process they use. If they can't bring up the CD on computer, then someone with a laptop should be able to. You might also check and see if anything in the internet cafe has a CD drive you could use.

I'm really not sure how many pictures will fit on a CD. I've still got to transfer the ones from our cruise in January (nothing like procrastinating). I have, by the way, had my own problems transferring from the camera media to CD after a land trip to Chicago. I still don't know what I did wrong, but the pictures disappeared.

Luckily we were able to purchase a fairly inexpensive recovery package and got 99% of them back, so I'm extra careful about such items. I ususally transfer them to CD, remove the CD from the computer, disconnect the camera, and make sure they pull up from CD prior to deleting them from the camera card. Probably way too extra cautious, but after having been burned once ...

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

Thanks for all the ideas. This has been very helpful. I have enough memory for about 400 pictures. I think I will bring some bland CDs just in case. I would imagine if the photo shop on the ship can burn pictures to a CD, they could check to make sure the pictures are really on the CD.

wildlifeart

Just bought the new Canon EOS Digital Rebel so I can use my Rebel SLR lenses - love it! Yes, Costco CF is $41 for 256, if they'll work on your camera, buy several. I've had my old Sony memory stick transferred to CD in various ports for $10-$12 with no problems so that's an option. And, yes, if somebody has a laptop with CD burner bring some usual CD-R data disks and be real nice to the person with the laptop with burner :-). I'm sure the ship will also burn 'em for a premium price of course.

Ed

8/17/04 Dream Baltic Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;8;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Hmmmm.... maybe I should bring my laptop and stand outside of the photogtaphy studio!

They'd probably make me walk the plank for that one, lol.

ute_fan- I know what you mean, I still haven't done anything with my digital pictures (400 or 500) from our Celebrity Galaxy cruise last August. The only thing that will make me transfer them is that we have another cruise this August that I will need the card for!

- Soon to be... Norwegian Wind 14 Night Vacation Package -10 Nights shipboard and 4 nights at the Sheraton in Honolulu- August 7 - 22 2004

By the way, I have no problem with anyone emailng me about these cruises or general experience...just drop me a line at sbcs5390@optonline.net!

I used the service on the STAR in Hawaii. I had an XD Memory Card with 540 pictures on it, and the photo shop burnt them right onto a CD for me for 15 bucks.. They supplied the CD and everything. They WILL NOT format your disk after they burn the CD (at least he assured me they wouldn't...and they didn't...you could reiterate that request.) Anyway, I took it to the Internet Cafe on board (definitely computers available with CD drives) and made sure all my pictures were safe and sound on CD. Once I knew they were ok, I formatted my memory card with the camera, and I was good to go with 550 more pictures.

Enjoy Alaska.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;4;4;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

...until my first cruise - NCL Star - 04/04/04

a cd will hold approximately 680 meg of data. thats a lot of pictures regardless of resoloution. if you have a laptop with a cd burner you won't need the ships service at all.

NCL Leeward 9/97

Carnival Celebration 1/99

NCL Sea 2/00

NCL Sea 12/00

Grand Princess 9/01

NCL Norway 4/02

RCCL Rhapsody 8/02

NCL Norway 2/03

RCCL Rhapsody 8/03

NCL Sea 2/04

RCCL Grandeur 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;1;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Water water everywhere, yippie!!!</BR>

I have a 6 mega pixel camera. It has low, med and high resolution. On low it’s about 1 MB, on med it’s about 3 MB, and on high it’s about 7 MB. This may vary depending on the settings. If you want to know how many fit on a CD I would take pictures using the various settings on your camera. Transfer them to your computer and see how large the different files are. Then simple division will tell you how many of what setting will fit on a CD. I discovered a 1MB picture will print normal 4x6 prints and look great. If I want to print an 8x10 I need it to use 3MB. And if I’m going to blow up a certain portion of the picture I need it to be highest resolution possible.

George

Well you have all been very helpful!

George - I did have some pics downloaded to my computer already so your idea was a simple solution even for the tech-challenged like me.

I am going to try transfering a few to CD myself before cruise so I have better idea of capacity of different resolutions for my camera.(as per info by tawcat & the beav)

I have been taking ALL pics on HIGH setting which is 5 Meg. I will also try some lower res (3.2) and see if I will be happy with how they print.

Seawishes - I have not a clue about formatting the memory card as you spoke so I will look thru my manual.

I have memory stick media for my Sony DSC-P92 so do not know if that applies but promise to study up before I sail!

Thanks again all

Tina

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thebeav:

I have a 6 mega pixel camera. It has low, med and high resolution. On low it’s about 1 MB, on med it’s about 3 MB, and on high it’s about 7 MB. This may vary depending on the settings. If you want to know how many fit on a CD I would take pictures using the various settings on your camera. Transfer them to your computer and see how large the different files are. Then simple division will tell you how many of what setting will fit on a CD. I discovered a 1MB picture will print normal 4x6 prints and look great. If I want to print an 8x10 I need it to use 3MB. And if I’m going to blow up a certain portion of the picture I need it to be highest resolution possible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a plan!

The camera I used on my last trips was an older HP 215 with a 1.3 Megapixel resolution. I ran it on low or medium most of the time I believe, and 4 x 6's came out great, but I do have an amazing HP Photo printer, but that shouldn't make much of a difference.

I believe I even blew up a picture of the Sea to 8 x 10 that is hanging on my living room wall that I took in the low or medium setting, probably low. The quality is acceptable. Being that it's on a wall and viewed from a distance, it's very hard to tell.

Actually, I see you are in Bushkill (took some nice pics at the waterfall there last summer) and its at our vacation house in Tobyhanna!

MOMofONE- Formatting a memory card is like giving it a clean slate. As you may or may not know, you can format a computer's hard drive or a floppy disk, among other things. All of these items (hard drives, floppies, digital camera cards) use different kinds of file systems to arrange the files. If you have more than one camera that uses the same memory for instance, it's good to format it when putting it into the other camera, as digital camera file systems are more specific and tailored to each camera. Some put the photos in folders on the card, some don't. This helps that a long.

PLEASE REMEMBER that formating any technological storage item will ERASE EVERYTHING ON IT!

I have to mention that because I don't want to see anyone lose their treasured memories.

I am almost completely certain that reformating will apply to your Sony Camera.

That looks like a VERY convenient device, but the price!!!

Was considering a photo printer - of course not as small and have to buy supplies but perhaps small enough to want to travel with since you also don't need a PC (just insert memory stick & edit/print or view on TV). And have seen the Sony DPP-EX5 on Ebay for $70-125 + ship

Anyone travel with something like this? I think it's about 7x10 and weighs about 4-5 oz

Momofone--

We have a Sony digital camera that uses a memory stick. We also have the Sony DPP-EX5 that you mentioned (at least I think that is the same model). The one we have will only print from the Sony memory stick. It isn't compatible with other memory media. I wasn' sure if you had a Sony camera, or some other brand. The photos that it prints do look very nice. The photo paper (4X6 size), comes in a cartridge with the printer ink, and prints 25 pictures from one cartridge. We bought the printer and camera together about 1 1/2 years ago, and I don't remember what the price of the paper/ink cartridge is. You would probably need to take lots of cartridges if you plan on printing very many pictures, as it isn't the kind of thing I would expect to find easily in Alaska.

Also, the one thing that I find VERY frustrating about the printer is that you have to have it hooked up to the TV if you want to print directly from the memory stick. If you are using it hooked up to your computer, you have to download the pictures from the memory stick to the computer, or a CD, and then use the printer as a computer printer. It would be much nicer if you could just insert the memory stick and view the photo from your monitor.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I should take my printer with me. I will admit, that is one thing I hadn't considered, but might work nicely.

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

Thank you ute_fan for your personal experience with this.

Yes, I have a newer Sony camera and understood that the printer would be limited to this media - one of the hesitations about purchasing.

However, since I don't have an ipod or other means of transfering on the go, thought it would be a "cheap solution" with some value - I had read reviews at epinions on the DPP-EX5 and they seemed favorable.

But, I thought it had an LCD screen for viewing pics, making the TV hookup optional, so thank you for clarifying that. I agree, Sony seems to have complicated things for PC printing - I have a decent printer which produces good results with photos so the photo printer was more of an "on the go" solution, and perhaps for my daughter's use to keep her from sucking up my ink regularly! icon_rolleyes.gif

Guess I'll have to wait until something more compact & affordable comes along for direct transfer on the go. With tech companies spitting out new models every month, spurring competition, and dropping prices, I may not ahve to wait long. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,

Tina

And thank you sbc - I remember having to format discs in college on my old reliable Apple computer but have not had to do the such in.....well, let's say a # of years. icon_wink.gif

I assumed it was same theory just was not aware of neccessity and/or advantages in relation to all digital media.

I know some people actually READ those manuals when they purchase equipment!

I am in the less evolved group that turns it on, starts pushing buttons, and asks questions later; resorting to manual only under extreme distress. icon_rolleyes.gif

Luckily, God has blessed me with the eagerness and ability to learn so, I'll catch up eventually....hopefully it will be before my equipment is obsolete. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again

I bought a Microsolutions Roadstor, a CDRW and DVD drive which can transfer jpegs and mpegs without a computer to a CD, just plug in the memory card and wait.

This will get a lot of use on the Star on May 30th.

Just to give you an idea of capacity. I have a 3.2 megapixel camera and took 420 images on my last cruise they occupy app 350 mbyte.

I brought my laptop on the cruise and transfered pictures to the hard drive each day. It also can write CD's so I could have transfered them but there was no need.

It is also common to find internet cafes on the islands. These generally have rates that are a small fraction of what the ship charges. You can probably burn some cd's there.

Archived