Hotel in Amsterdam??

MrsDave

We stayed at the Hilton in Amsterdam, not the one at the airport, but in the city. We were on the Concierge Level and had amazing views out our picture window. It was very close to two different tram lines (the #5, 17 and 24) ran on one and the I really don't remember the others, but it makes it easy to get anywhere.

Thanks for the positive input!! Now I'm excited! For $107 I figured we'd be happy with whatever we got, but being next to the train station so that when we take the train from the airport we'll be right there is a huge plus. Folks on tripadvisor gave it very mixed reviews.

Can we really walk to the river cruise dock?? How long did that take, do you remember? We are planning on just one wheeled suitcase apiece with a small backpack.

Thanks!!

My husband and I stayed at the Barbizon last summer, we also got it on Priceline. Although at first I wasn't very happy with my winning bid (in my opinion, this isn't a 5 star hotel, like Priceline claims), I ended up being very happy with the hotel. You can't beat the location. We took the train from the airport to the center of Amsterdam and walked across the street with our luggage to the hotel. There was a great little sandwich/cafe just outside the hotel to the left where we ate breakfast each morning and we were in the heart of the Red Light District. We rented bikes down the street and rode all over Amsterdam. I was in Amsterdam the year before and also bid on a 5 star hotel in Central Amsterdam and won the Hotel Amrath..which is truly a 5 star hotel!!!

Glad you found a hotel - was racking my brain to remember ours, but couldn't. It was very close to Anne Frank House and walking distance to river; pier area; museums; red light district....all the must sees!!

Important tip - we bought our Anne Frank House tickets online before we went and we were glad we did. We went right in while bypassing a line of about 150 people....we did this trip in March 2010. Weather was very cool, wore jackets, gloves and scarfs all the time. Some rain - it was a wierd year and even the tulips were late in arriving that year.

Enjoy your trip - we loved it.

Thanks for the input on the weather..I kind of figured it would be like Spring/Fall in NYC..we just moved to a warm climate and I didn't take too many warm things with me and I was able to snag a quilted jacket on line which I think will fit the bill just right..our River Cruise offers the Anne Frank house as an excursion and we are super excited to see it..I really appreciate your advice!!!!

Thanks!!!

Tina:)

Peacemaker, thank you!! We are looking forward to it. Did you walk to the pier from there?

We did once..we had to walk through the train station to the other side and walk along a area that was under construction. There are a few places that the ships are docked and some can be a pretty far walk. The other time we did take a taxi...you will just have to wait and see exactly where your ship is docked.

Archived