Hotel in Amsterdam??

MrsDave

It's our first time there and we are spending a couple of days after the cruise in Amsterdam..booking it on our own and wondering where to stay?

Any ideas?? Greatly appreciated.

We will be there for the Easter Weekend..if anyone has been pls let me know.

Thanks

T&D

There are lots of great places to stay- depending on your budget and expectations. My daughter and I are leaning towards the Avenue Hotel, since it's in a "historic" building in the city center. It's walking distance to several popular sites (1 mile from the Anne Frank House) and a block from the trains. It's also right by the canals. Rooms are small, but they serve a large American style breakfast buffet (included in your room rate) which is always a money saver! They also have free WiFi. Rates between 150 and 200USD, though you might get a better rate on Travelocity depending on your dates.

Another thing to check out is renting a houseboat on one of the canals. The prices are similar to a hotel room and something fun and different for a US traveller.

We're planning to make a 3-4 day layover there on the way to our cruise in July.

Pick something soon if you want Easter~ rooms book up fast! (Oh, and rooms are more expensive there on the weekends than on the weekdays- opposite of here).

Priceline hotels in the 4 star category can often be had in the $90-100 range. Many are in the NH chain, which is a consistently good brand. Do a google search on "priceline bidding" and you will find two websites that will give you great info on getting a hotel and suggested pricing.

To help in your decision, you might try the "search" function on this forum. There have been a threads recently on this topic.

Personally, we prefer to stay near the Rijksmuseun and Van Gogh Museum. Nice residential area, close to transit and Hotel Fita is a great choice. But others will make other suggestions. Tripadvisor is another good source.

I will do my research tonight!

I want to book the hotel tomorrow..

I was so worried because it's Easter weekend..not to worry..there are so many great things to see and do...

We are so excited!

Someone said they saw a comedy show..anyone have any info on this??

Thanks again

T&D (love this website!)

We have been twice now and did not care for the very center of the city. In January I bid on Priceline for a 5 star and won the Hotel Bilderberg Garden for 130USD per night with taxes. It is in a lovely area with a tram stop nearby so very accessible.

We also liked the Museum Quarter and would stay there.

I am glad we went for the second time because the first trip was one day in the very center and Amsterdam was a turn off with the crowds, dirty streets and Bourbon Street like atmosphere. The second time we enjoyed it much more and the residential area we stayed in was lovely and pleasant. When we went into the center we were both so pleased we had chosen to stay elsewhere and experience Amsterdam from a different perspective.

I have stayed at the Amsterdam Hilton, which is a bit outside of the city center and is near a tram stop. It is in a quiet area and a very nice hotel.

I have also stayed at the Grand Hotel Amrath which is just a couple of blocks from the central station and is also a very nice hotel.

I would highly recommend either.

We stayed at the Movenpick which is just off the centre of the action but quiet enough to sleep

a short walk or tram ride to centraal station

we got it on priceline & it was good for our stay during World Cup weekend ( we did not know at the time) Another point it is close to the boat dock

Since it is the easter weekend, hotels will be more expensive and might fill up quicker then usual.

Amsterdam is very walkable with good public transport, so location is often not that important.

If you plan to visit An Frankhuis absolutely make reservations on-line, so you can skip the often long lines.

Also most shops will be closed on Easter Sunday. Monday officiallly is still a holiday, but in city center many shops will be open.

Banks, government buildings, school will be closed that day.

That show might be: http://www.boomchicago.nl/boomchicago/

or http://www.comedycafe.nl/

Populair is also this restaurant with singing waiters:

http://www.pastaebasta.nl/

It's our first time there and we are spending a couple of days after the cruise in Amsterdam..booking it on our own and wondering where to stay?

Any ideas?? Greatly appreciated.

We will be there for the Easter Weekend..if anyone has been pls let me know.

Thanks

T&D

We will also be in Amsterdam over Easter weekend this year. We will stay at the Renaissance (Marriott) Hotel on the 8th and 9th of April. We get off the Avalon Felicity at the end of our Romantic Rhine River cruise on Easter Sunday. We booked the hotel on advice of a friend and also a family member who stays there often on businness. It is pricey but in a great location near the train station. We have booked a bus tour for both Sunday and Monday (Zaanse Schans Windmills, Marken and Volendam for Sunday and Keukenhof Gardens for Monday). Both of these leave from close to our hotel. We also booked the Anne Frank house for Monday morning. We hope to do the museums Saturday afternoon after our canal tour that is a scheduled tour with Avalon.

Just wondering? Are you on this same river boat cruise of the Romantic Rhine with Avalon? If you have further questions e-mail me at rrripp at aol dot com.

Clare

We have stayed at the Renaissance and found it very nice--our room was on the front of the building--windows triple glazed so no noise. There is a pub attached to the hotel--great food. Across the street there was a row of restaurants--you are looking at the back of them. We tried 2 and the Argentine steak house was really good . Enjoy your time in Asterdam. Pat

Thanks all for ALL of your wisdom and input...we got a really good deal at The College Hotel in the Museum district...

Will let you know how it was when we return..

It's a boutique hotel with 40 rooms...it was a school before...hence the name.

Hope it's good!

T&D

Thanks all for ALL of your wisdom and input...we got a really good deal at The College Hotel in the Museum district...

Will let you know how it was when we return..

It's a boutique hotel with 40 rooms...it was a school before...hence the name.

Hope it's good!

T&D

Indeed it was a school, but more or less still is. Students of the Amsterdam hotelschool work, serve etc. in this hotel as part of their education.

Indeed it was a school, but more or less still is. Students of the Amsterdam hotelschool work, serve etc. in this hotel as part of their education.

Does that mean it will not be good????

I have a free cancellation clause...

The reviews on Trip advisor are mixed

One of the responses from management said it is 70% students running the place & 30% professionals

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d483134-Reviews-College_Hotel-Amsterdam_Noord_Holland.html

The reviews on Trip advisor are mixed

One of the responses from management said it is 70% students running the place & 30% professionals

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d483134-Reviews-College_Hotel-Amsterdam_Noord_Holland.html

You are all so kind..there are no words..I treasure this website for all the insights provided!

My TA has shared with us that Trip Advisor has been plagued with bogus reviews and suggests using Conde Nast as "truth in travel"

Try it and see what you think..

My best,

Tina

Glad you found a hotel - was racking my brain to remember ours, but couldn't. It was very close to Anne Frank House and walking distance to river; pier area; museums; red light district....all the must sees!!

Important tip - we bought our Anne Frank House tickets online before we went and we were glad we did. We went right in while bypassing a line of about 150 people....we did this trip in March 2010. Weather was very cool, wore jackets, gloves and scarfs all the time. Some rain - it was a wierd year and even the tulips were late in arriving that year.

Enjoy your trip - we loved it.

No it will be (very) good. Often it will be managed/served by senior students and remember teachers will always be around and supervise.

You will enjoy it.

I bid on Priceline and got the NH Barbizon Palace for $107 US. It's very close to the train station so should be convenient when we arrive from the airport.

We have stayed there twice ... once on debarkation from a cruise ship, and one before a river cruise. You can walk to either of these docks.

The main train station is just across the street if you take the train in/out of Schiphol. Trams going all over the city start/end at the train station, as do the water buses.

The hotel, although not luxury, is very nice. I believe you will be happy there.

Thanks for the positive input!! Now I'm excited! For $107 I figured we'd be happy with whatever we got, but being next to the train station so that when we take the train from the airport we'll be right there is a huge plus. Folks on tripadvisor gave it very mixed reviews.

Can we really walk to the river cruise dock?? How long did that take, do you remember? We are planning on just one wheeled suitcase apiece with a small backpack.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the positive input!! Now I'm excited! For $107 I figured we'd be happy with whatever we got, but being next to the train station so that when we take the train from the airport we'll be right there is a huge plus. Folks on tripadvisor gave it very mixed reviews.

Can we really walk to the river cruise dock?? How long did that take, do you remember? We are planning on just one wheeled suitcase apiece with a small backpack.

Thanks!!

Much depends whre your rivercruiseship docks. There are 3 option, more or less around Amsterdam Centraal Station. Only the dock west of the station is a bit too far to walk. The others are just east of the station or more east - walk in about 15/20 minutes -which is the regular passenger cruise terminal. Only in use if no big ships are in.

Archived