Non-tourist/locals beach Cozumel

Sunny_Skipper

Four of us traveling to Cozumel on LOS would like to rent a car/jeep and check out the island. We will have our own snorkel gear and would like the option to stop at beaches that are not tourist traps. We don't care about AI or any amenities.

If you could give details that would be great.

Thanks!

I've been researching this also. I've heard about the Money Bar & Playa Corona. I haven't been to either though. Playa Palancar is good also & I read they have guides that will take you out via a boat to the reef for $20 or $25 (I read somewhere).

I did email someone from TA that went to Playa Corona recently & he enjoyed it. He spend about 2 -3 hours snorkeling from there.

Thanks for the response. That gives a few ideas to start researching. There is so much out there on the internet for such a tiny island it's hard to believe!!

I am always disappointed in the ports of call unless I get out and see the locals. To me, it's the purpose of seeing a port...not just seeing another tourist trap!

If anyone else has information please share!

Thank you!!

Best,

Sunny

IMO, Playa Corona, Albert's and Playa Palancar will be your best bets. For snorkeling Playa Corona will be your better bet.

There is a "public beach", Playa Calatitia, up close to San Miguel near the lighthouse and dry dock where lots of locals from San Miguel go. Only average snorkeling though. Keep in mind that most cruise ships visit Cozumel during the week and locals are working then to make youe visit enjoyable. So Playa Calatitia may not have many people at it and the little local vendor carts that come there with food and drink may not be around.

Not sure about snorkeling there, but have been thinking about Mezcalitos on the untraveled east side of Cozumel. It is easy to drive to ,down the main road across the middle of the island. This is the rough open water side. You can go on google earth and get on the street view and get a great look at it...It is located at the T you come to on the east side.

Thank you for the responses. We are actually going to be there on a Saturday so we may get the local action! The weather for next Saturday is calling for showers so we may scrub the snorkeling if the weather doesn't cooperate and then just explore the island. I would love to get to the east side, thanks for that tip and I will check google street view.

If anyone else would like to share I welcome the responses!

Best,

Sunny

Thank you for the responses. We are actually going to be there on a Saturday so we may get the local action! The weather for next Saturday is calling for showers so we may scrub the snorkeling if the weather doesn't cooperate and then just explore the island. I would love to get to the east side, thanks for that tip and I will check google street view.

If anyone else would like to share I welcome the responses!

Best,

Sunny

The "other side/wild side" is a great place to adventure/take photos and just

enjoy. There is this restaurant/beach called Chen Rio that serves fresh seafood/ fresh ceviche. Do a google search for more info. There is a protected cove cordoned off for swimming with out the riptides. I would be careful on this side of the island. It sure is pretty with several different places to stop and have a beer/drink. Enjoy:)

enjoy. There is this restaurant/beach called Chen Rio that serves fresh seafood/ fresh ceviche. Do a google search for more info. There is a protected cove cordoned off for swimming with out the riptides. I would be careful on this side of the island. It sure is pretty with several different places to stop and have a beer/drink. Enjoy:)

Thank you! I always try to be careful but do you know of anything specifically I should be leery of?

Best,

Sunny

absolutely second Chen Rio - we had grilled fish and shrimp dishes here. Actually as your driving along that side of the island, you'll probably see lots of places that you'll want to just stop and explore. You do need to be careful of the rip tide and hard surf, and rocks in general.

Archived