Coconut Grove Hampton Inn - Good location to explore Miami between cruises?

j-9

Hi all,

We have 2 nights between cruises, and are planning on exploring Miami, as we have never been there. I am currently booked at the Hampton Inn Coconut Grove/Coral Gables, and would like people's opinion on the location. The hotel itself sounds fine from the recent reviews, so I am not so concerned about that - has comfortable clean rooms, breakfast and laundry, that's all I need.

We will not have a car, don't mind public transportation and take taxis when needed/convenient, but when exploring a new place, I prefer walking. We are more interested in getting a sense of Miami, rather than spending more time on a beach, so thought this location might be interesting, but I am not sure how walkable it will be. Can anyone tell me if it is an okay neighbourhood? Relatively safe? Walkable? Surrounded by freeways? Interesting Restaurants? Funky stores?

Thanks

Hi all,

We have 2 nights between cruises, and are planning on exploring Miami, as we have never been there. I am currently booked at the Hampton Inn Coconut Grove/Coral Gables, and would like people's opinion on the location. The hotel itself sounds fine from the recent reviews, so I am not so concerned about that - has comfortable clean rooms, breakfast and laundry, that's all I need.

We will not have a car, don't mind public transportation and take taxis when needed/convenient, but when exploring a new place, I prefer walking. We are more interested in getting a sense of Miami, rather than spending more time on a beach, so thought this location might be interesting, but I am not sure how walkable it will be. Can anyone tell me if it is an okay neighbourhood? Relatively safe? Walkable? Surrounded by freeways? Interesting Restaurants? Funky stores?

Thanks

Coconut Grove is a fun, ecclectic area, and very different from Downtown Miami and South Beach. "The Grove" really has a character of its own.

Your hotel is located on US1 (South Dixie Hwy), about 1-2 miles south of I-95. The hotel is walkable to the true heart of the Grove, but there are some dodgy areas if you stray too far off the beaten path. Ask the front desk/concierge at your hotel for the best/safest streets to walk down to the main area (27th Ave is a good busy street). Do not venture on McDonald Street (32nd Ave) ... not a good neighborhood.

There are lots of neat little shops and restaurants along a few of the side streets off of Main Hwy. Cocowalk is a complex with dining and shops, but a bit touristy. My fave restaurant right next to Cocowalk is Jaguar, a Latin-fusion place with a really neat vibe and excellent drinks and ceviche. Down the street from there, you can get a good espresso martini or chocolate martini at Greene Street, and then there is a neat Colombian club (fun on a Saturday night) with a live band. I think there may be a $10 cover, but somehow we managed to just "look like we belong" and slide in.

Visit the historic Barnacle house ... grounds are really pretty and the location right on Biscayne Bay is phenomenal. Monty's restaurant is also within walking distance ... check out their happy hour and live music. You can rent jet skis or take a boat tour near there if you want to venture out on the water.

If you have time, take a taxi to Vizcaya Museum and Gardens ... well worth a half-day visit.

Have fun!

Coconut Grove is a fun, ecclectic area, and very different from Downtown Miami and South Beach. "The Grove" really has a character of its own.

Your hotel is located on US1 (South Dixie Hwy), about 1-2 miles south of I-95. The hotel is walkable to the true heart of the Grove, but there are some dodgy areas if you stray too far off the beaten path. Ask the front desk/concierge at your hotel for the best/safest streets to walk down to the main area (27th Ave is a good busy street). Do not venture on McDonald Street (32nd Ave) ... not a good neighborhood.

There are lots of neat little shops and restaurants along a few of the side streets off of Main Hwy. Cocowalk is a complex with dining and shops, but a bit touristy. My fave restaurant right next to Cocowalk is Jaguar, a Latin-fusion place with a really neat vibe and excellent drinks and ceviche. Down the street from there, you can get a good espresso martini or chocolate martini at Greene Street, and then there is a neat Colombian club (fun on a Saturday night) with a live band. I think there may be a $10 cover, but somehow we managed to just "look like we belong" and slide in.

Visit the historic Barnacle house ... grounds are really pretty and the location right on Biscayne Bay is phenomenal. Monty's restaurant is also within walking distance ... check out their happy hour and live music. You can rent jet skis or take a boat tour near there if you want to venture out on the water.

If you have time, take a taxi to Vizcaya Museum and Gardens ... well worth a half-day visit.

Have fun!

Excellent advice and I second Vizcaya.

Archived