Cheaper to fly to florida than drive to galveston

1948buddy

...and dont limit your search to JUST Southwest. A lot of people assume that Southwest will always be cheapest and it's not the case.

We don't have southwest here, so it is moot for me- but Southwest seems to be the only place to find the $99 flights. So a "regular price" flight might be more expensive on Southwest than another airline, but if it is bargain pricing, the other airlines don't seem to do that.

Sorta similar situation:

Our balcony cruise from San Juan: $679

Price Comparison balcony cruise from Fort Lauderdale: $1100

Cost to fly to Fort Lauderdale: $350 r/t

Cost to fly to San Juan: $600 r/t

People also remark about the airfare but in reality, it's cheaper for us to fly and cruise from San Juan than to any other points in Florida: Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Port Canaveral.

or fly in a day early to Florida. Rent car to drive to Orlando, could not get to Orlando, with 3 other people, remember we fly stand by. Drive from Atlanta to Jacksonville to pick up luggage, rent another car from Jacksonville to Orlando, Hotel for the night, Limo from hotel to Port Caniveral and back.

I'm exhausted just reading that.:p

I also worked for AA (and PAN-AM) too back in the 80s and 90s. Much easier to fly non-rev(with entire family too!) back then. I've still have friends at AA who said they haven't flown stand-by in 10 years.

I'm exhausted just reading that.:p

I also worked for AA (and PAN-AM) too back in the 80s and 90s. Much easier to fly non-rev(with entire family too!) back then. I've still have friends at AA who said they haven't flown stand-by in 10 years.

I'd have to think the pickings are slim with all the flight cutbacks and planes flying fuller.

AA brings up a good point - If you fly into Miami or any other port, you have to include extra hotel rooms, rent cars, shuttles, meals.

Since we are so close to the Port of Galveston - we don't even pay for parking - have family drop us off and pick us up.

...but Southwest seems to be the only place to find the $99 flights.

And that's exactly how a lot of people get "fooled" into thinking that they got such a great bargain. They see the $99 one way flight, but they don't see all the added taxes and surcharges along with the fact that they need to buy a return flight. When it's all said and done, it comes up to the same as other airlines, and several times, MORE, even when taking into account bag fees.

Did not limit our search to SW. Our real problem is being forced to go the week of July 4 because my wife's employer, local school district, has a mandatory furlough that week and she has used all her vacation visiting grandkids out of state. Every thing is sky high that week.

Much easier to fly non-rev(with entire family too!) back then. I've still have friends at AA who said they haven't flown stand-by in 10 years.

Another airline employee here. My parents REFUSE to fly non-rev. In fact, I just purchased full fare tickets on another airline for their upcoming visit.

My wife also refuses to fly non-rev unless the flights are wide open (meaning like 50+ seats open).

We have driven for 2 out of our last 3 cruises, and for the one we flew, we also purchased confirmed airline tickets.

A CCer friend talked me into getting the SW card. enough free miles to sign up for 2 flights. I am using two of my free flights this spring .. both to Tampa :( duh!!!

I have 3 cruises in 2013 that I will fly for so I am going to start working harder on building up my SW miles instead of using my RCL card.

I got my hotels on priceline, last minute travel and hotwire (yes 3 hotels, before and after the March date).

I can cruise out of Florida as cheap or cheaper than out of TX, but not all the time with deals I have found on a group cruise site. The prices are way below publically advertised rates.

If you are inventive, you too can cruise cheap.

btw there is a rate for TXU electricty that gives you free miles on SW.

Archived