Question, what happens if I miss my flight?

chefajax

Hi to All...

As I try to be early for flights, I find myself in a close race to the gate on my upcoming cruise. Does anyone have any info about United's policy about missed flights, especially on a trans Atlantic flight? Please advise....Dennis

My experience is that it's on a case by case basis. If it's something along the line that the lines at the security checkpoint made you miss your flight oir there was a major accident on the freeway which snarled you in unexpected traffic, that's one thing and hopefully they'll realize that those were things beyond your control & actually show some compassion by trying to best reaccommodate you. Of course, this on a person by person basis.

Because you mention it's for a transatlantic flight, things could get a bit more complicated since those flights might not have the same frequency as a domestic flight.

But I would suggest approaching it in a civilized manner, explaining the circumstances, and hope that the the airline employee is understanding of the circumstance and will help.

There is no set policy on any airline - and even if you think there is, the Gate Agents have the final authority on all problems and you may not like their answer.

Best bet is be EARLY, you need to be at the airport 23 hours before a trans-atlantic flight. Remember you havbe to go through bag check, security check etc, and most trans-atlantic tickets are paper which means you have to checkin at the desk along with 50 other people (more).

I travel domestically every week and stuff happens - I always leave early - better than to get ulcers.

There is no set policy on any airline - and even if you think there is, the Gate Agents have the final authority on all problems and you may not like their answer.

Best bet is be EARLY, you need to be at the airport 23 hours before a trans-atlantic flight. Remember you havbe to go through bag check, security check etc, and most trans-atlantic tickets are paper which means you have to checkin

WOW, so that's why people are always so tired after a trans-atlantic flight. Having to sit in the airport for 23 hours can be grueling.:p

BTW, most international tickets are now electronic and the new self service kiosks can read passports.

Dennis,

I did a European Cruise last year and flew on the Air Carrier you mentioned. Just to be sure we would not miss our flight or have any issues to deal with we did a two day precruise and two day post cruise out of Barcelona. I saw several people who tried making it into Port on the day of the cruise from Canada and the US and they cut it real close because of Mechanical issues or late flights. Also make sure you call the Airlines 48 hours in advance for a confirmation you resevation. I have heard of folks getting into Atlanta last year without checking ahead only to find their flight is over booked. No! its not our fault for over bookings but it happens. To be sure you make your Transatlantic flight make sure you check in as early as possible the morning you leave. If you can do a online check in for seats go for it. Just to show you how tight it can get we flew from Frankfurt into LAX. No problem right? The flight was fourty minutes late getting into LAX. Our luggage was last off the plane. We were given advice from the Airlines special Agent after immagrations to "Run to terminal 7" from terminal 1. We made our flight by 9 minutes. If you think that is nuts listen to this: We fly into Paris this coming late May. We have a 55 minute window to make our next connection to Munich. Were prepared but its going to be close. Good luck a least you are looking ahead. Tim

Hi to All...

As I try to be early for flights, I find myself in a close race to the gate on my upcoming cruise. Does anyone have any info about United's policy about missed flights, especially on a trans Atlantic flight? Please advise....Dennis

In that situation, United's Rule 255 applies. In a nutshell, it basically provides for reaccommodation upon payment of the difference between the fare originally paid and the fare for the new accommodation (which could be a large amount of money, if you're going from a deeply-discounted bargain fare to a standard coach fare), and is, of course, solely based on availability of space on United's next flight(s). Unlike United's Rule 240, which would apply when the missed flight is due to a schedule irregularity, United need not consider providing the late passenger accommodation on any flights other than their own.

Sometimes, the airline won't apply this rule in such a draconian manner, but that is what we agree to when we purchase United Airlines tickets.

I have and found that typically it's nothing special, espeically given the fact that you don't know the particulars before you buy & that the prices aren't much different if going via a regular travel site.

I purchased a flight on HowWire in 2002 flying form Phoenix to Frankfurt. At the time it all came down to purchasing the $570 ticket on Hotwire or purchasing a $700 ticket on Icelandic Air. I took the gamble on HotWire and flew on US Airways on a AirBus 340. It was a fantastic flight. My wife still referes to that trip since she stayed up all night watching "in seat movies" all the way to Germany. I have heard of people being disappointed with the tickets they received but I have not had it happen to me. I think the best thing one can do is to do your homework. Good luck, Tim

Hi to All...

Try and get there on time. Keep in mind when checking in for international flights you need to be in the system 60minutes prior or they will be unable to check you in (this happened to me by 7 min a woman next to me missed hers by 2 min). they will try and reaccomadate you if possible by either putting you on the next available flight or making you go the dreaded standby. If you have a really good ticket agent they can look into the possibility of putting you on another carriers flight

Archived