Number of Kids On Sailings Next Week?

Northern/North Eastern states have this thing called winter break that occurs in mid to late Feb. They also have Spring break in late April. That could be why there was an increase in kids.

Spring Break varies throughout the country, but they all generally fall from the start of March until the end of April.

Booked a three night cruise for March 9. I thought I was a week prior to spring break – but after a quick search today - I see that I am not early. Based on an accidental spring break cruise a few years ago –I know the ship will likely be overrun by college kids. I should have been tipped off when there were a few bachelor/bachelorette parties on the M&M board.

The upside, many will sleep late and we’ll get our choice of deck chairs!

I will say that a few years back, RCCL security did a great job of allowing fun and curtailing situations when things seemed to get out of hand. The ship was loaded with security, uniformed and plain clothes.

I guess luggage searches will be particularly thorough.

M[/quote.

About 75% of of Colleges and Universities in the Southern US(where most of the ports are) have Spring Break that week. The cruise fare should have tipped you off.

We are boarding the Allure Easter Sunday. Majority of kids in my area (Chicago and suburbs) are on break prior to that. My daughter goes to a private school so she has half of Holy Week and the following week off so that's why we have to go at that time.

I don't understand all the consternation over Spring Break. I went 3 years in a row when I was in school! (Gotta love those student loans!) The belly flop contests, mechanical bull riding contests, etc were some of the most fun I have ever had. I think it would be great to go on one of those trips and just sit back and watch the kids play their games. You really can't buy any better entertainment than that.

[quote=wreckem2013;32577272

About 75% of of Colleges and Universities in the Southern US(where most of the ports are) have Spring Break that week. The cruise fare should have tipped you off.

Do you mean because the fare was low? We caught such a low fare for an SOV on the Monarch that we couldn’t pass it up.

I've cruised on a short sailing during college spring break in the past - and didn't mind it. In fact, we've been cruising for over 25 years, so many of our family cruises (years ago) were during k-12 spring breaks. It seems like the 7 night cruises tend to have more families than college kids.

So many cruises tend to have a variety of different demographics – I know it will be fine.

M

My TA seems to think that all of the college kids will be on Carnival cause they cant afford RCL <grin>

:):)Last year we were on Radiance the first week in March, and about 60% of the pax were college kids. We had so much fun watching them have fun;) that we booked the same week on Jewel this year, and just booked the same cruise for 2013 as well.:cool:

Archived