Best way to book a cruise

bluejay555

OK, so I'm getting ready to book our cruise. We have always gone through a travel agent because they are friends and we like giving them our business. I am learning we might benefit more from booking through Carnival. Is this the only way to get upgrades and stuff? If the price drops, do we get refunded the difference? We met a couple on our last cruise who said they got the price difference in ship credit for their sail and sign card.

Also, what about airline tickets? Does Carnival do the whole package deal?

Do not use Carnival for airlines, as they fly you in last minute and then you have to worry about missing the ship. Its not a good idea. If you miss the ship carnival will say its not on them, the 3rd party booked you not them.

If you book thru a TA do realize that every time the price drops you have to go thru them and sometimes its not good. If you book direct YOU can submit the price drops yourself.

People dont seem to get that their TAs are not open 24 hours a day and sometimes dont even know the ES rules. If I was booking ES Id book direct. If Im getting a group rate, then I book thru a TA, but its discounted. I would never book full price thru a TA.

ES= Early saver. It has some restrictions with it (non refundable deposit, no name changes etc.) but also has price protection until I believe about 2 days before sailing. If you know you are not going to cancel and book far enough out that there is an ES rate, its worth it. If you want more flexibility its not. I am used to paying for my whole vacation when I book it, by booking travel packages with online TAs, so its not a big deal to me. I know when I want to go and won't change my plans barring a major event.

OK, I am a novice here! What is ES? I've only been on 3 other cruises ever. I'm noticing everybody on here takes like 3 cruises a year :eek: I have some catching up to do!

ES is for Early Saver. A category that Carnival uses to promote low rates. It has a few strings attached. Be sure to read them before deciding to use. We book ES always.

Do not use Carnival for airlines, as they fly you in last minute and then you have to worry about missing the ship. Its not a good idea. If you miss the ship carnival will say its not on them, the 3rd party booked you not them.

If you book thru a TA do realize that every time the price drops you have to go thru them and sometimes its not good. If you book direct YOU can submit the price drops yourself.

People dont seem to get that their TAs are not open 24 hours a day and sometimes dont even know the ES rules. If I was booking ES Id book direct. If Im getting a group rate, then I book thru a TA, but its discounted. I would never book full price thru a TA.

We have been driving for past 10 years but considering going European in next year or two but are you sure that if you miss the ship after booking air thru Carnival they are not responsible for getting you to next port?

If so absolutely no reason to book air thru Carnival.

We have been driving for past 10 years but considering going European in next year or two but are you sure that if you miss the ship after booking air thru Carnival they are not responsible for getting you to next port?

If so absolutely no reason to book air thru Carnival.

Whether they are responsible or not isn't the issue in my mind.

It's that I lost a day (or two) of my cruise!

I ditto the "don't use Carnival air" sentiment.

You'll get a better deal on your own, and will be able to pick your own flights, and by all means, come in (at least) a day early. Your vacation starts a day early and you don't have to worry about missing the first day (or two).

GP

We booked through a TA. If we booked before a certain date we would receive an OBC. We noticed that we do not see the credit show up ( not sure if we should see it when we log into carnival or not ) but we called carnival as it was after TA hours and was told that they could not talk to us about our booking because it was through a TA. I thought that was odd, but since this is our first cruise it's all new to us!

Archived