Restaurant rec for St. George's?

CruiseBoston

My in-laws are traveling with us on the NCL Dawn in May and will be spending the Tuesday of the days we are in port in St. George. They have asked me to look into any economical restaurant options for lunch and/or dinner there. Alternatively they would love to know about restaurants that are worth the splurge (in terms of food quality; they are very good guests, but not particularly interested in over the top service for its own sake). Any thoughts? Thanks advance!

My in-laws are traveling with us on the NCL Dawn in May and will be spending the Tuesday of the days we are in port in St. George. They have asked me to look into any economical restaurant options for lunch and/or dinner there. Alternatively they would love to know about restaurants that are worth the splurge (in terms of food quality; they are very good guests, but not particularly interested in over the top service for its own sake). Any thoughts? Thanks advance!

It's tough to use "economical" and "Bermuda" in the same sentence. Just doesn't work.

I can second the other poster's recommendation of the White Horse Inn in St. George. Good food, even better drink menu -- and if it's a nice day sit out on the back deck by the canal.

This doesn't answer your restaurant question, but Tuesday is your departure day from Bermuda. I believe your ship sails at 5:30, so you'll have to be on board by 5 pm.

So...you won't be able to have dinner in St. George that day. You can have lunch obviously, but be very careful about leaving enough time to make your way back to Dockyard. In the past couple of years ferry service between Dockyard and St. George has been substantially reduced and sometimes ferries get cancelled due to mechanical issues or weather. You don't want to risk missing the ship, and two years ago I helped a family that was going to miss their ship because they missed the last ferry from St. George that would have gotten them back in time.

I would be very reluctant to visit St. George on departure day...in fact I absolutely won't...I stick much closer to "home" on my last day in Bermuda. Perhaps you should consider rearranging your schedule to visit St. George earlier in your visit.

I would be very reluctant to visit St. George on departure day...in fact I absolutely won't...I stick much closer to "home" on my last day in Bermuda. Perhaps you should consider rearranging your schedule to visit St. George earlier in your visit.

I agree....I've been to Bermuda several times (via ship) and we will go to St George on the first or second day....(the Dawn arrives on Sunday, I would do SG on Monday)

We make a day of it...leave on the early ferry and pack for the day...we will walk around the shops, there is a little train style tour which is nice (you get to see alot and learn alot) for $12pp, there are a few little shops where you can get snacks and drinks, quick lunch or sit down... take the nice walk past the unfinished church, over to Tabacco Bay Beach (if you're not up for that much walking, you can grab a cab for cheap ($5)).......when we are done in SG, we will take the bus to the Aquarium/Zoo/Museum...which is a great way to spend the afternoon ($10pp)....then hop back on the bus to Hamilton and ferry back to the ship for dinner...

There are also quite a few forts to visit...lots to do and see....more than enough for 3 days....I have yet to make it over to St Davids to see the lighthouse.....but, I am going to Bermuda twice this year, so maybe this will be the year... ;)

It's tough to use "economical" and "Bermuda" in the same sentence. Just doesn't work.

Yes, I totally know what you mean. :) It was because of my description of the cost of restaurants in Bermuda that my in-laws asked for some specific info. They are not cheap, but have have struggled to realign their expectations as to cost after moving from rural PA to Boston six years ago, and they know this will be another challenge. It is almost like, if a restaurant comes recommended, they will relax a little more and just accept it at face value, rather than analyzing if it is a decent value by local standards, if that makes sense?

But, since I was 12 or so the last time I was in St. George, I knew I needed your help. The White Horse sounds like a good option. If anyone has anything else to throw in the mix for lunch options, let me know.

Jenn

This doesn't answer your restaurant question, but Tuesday is your departure day from Bermuda. I believe your ship sails at 5:30, so you'll have to be on board by 5 pm.

Ah, yes, that's right. When we were talking about this as a potential Sunday option, dinner was on the table, but now that they (my in-laws) have settled on Tuesday, it is just lunch.

On Sunday, we do not get in until 11:30 or so, and they will be staying in the dockyards area. My dFIL is a avid photographer and he is so looking forward to the vistas from the Maritime Museum. On Monday, they are visiting the Botanical Gardens in the morning and the Crystal Cave in the afternoon. On Tuesday, they will likely be on the first possible orange route ferry from the dockyards to St. G., and then probably aim for back on the boat by 2pm. I agree that cutting it close on departure day is not advisable, and will remind them of it a bunch.

We (dh & I) actually just stayed in the dockyards area on our last visit in 2009 (with a one year old), as it was plenty enjoyable just to hang our there with no stress. This time, I think we will be heading over to Hamilton and the BAMZ on Monday, and otherwise play it close to the ship.

Thanks very much for your input!

I can second the other poster's recommendation of the White Horse Inn in St. George. Good food, even better drink menu -- and if it's a nice day sit out on the back deck by the canal.

I was going to tell you the exact same thing, the Whitehorse is a St George landmark.

Another option that isn't that far away, is the Swizzle Inn. But that involves a taxi or bus, the Whitehorse is within walking distance of where the tender drops you off.

Archived