Tours you can buy at the dock

welldone60

• 3 weeks later...
Kokomo Man,

I have had this thread bookmarked for quite some time and am finally ready to start making some decisions about our time in GC. I will be on a cruise ship at the beginning of November.

I am looking for a nice, reliable waverunner/jetski tour. I think I would like to do Starfish Beach, Stingray City and Rum Reef. I have found this tour at www.discountexcursions.com do you know anything about this company or do you have any recommendations. All your comments and references have been very helpful, thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

The ship is not offering any type of waverunner/jetski tour, so it looks like I will be looking for a very good private tour.

I am sailing in November and would also like to take a jetski tour to Stingray City. For Starfish Beach, Stingray City, and Rum Reef, the best price I have found is on http://www.discountexcursions.com for $120/single rider. I also found a similar tour at grandcaymenexcursions.com that goes to Stingray City and Rum Point via Jetski for $95/sr. Has anyone done either of these tours? Would I be able to get a better rate at the pier upon arrival day?

Also, for anyone who has done the jetski excursions, is it worth the extra money to ride single? Would the passenger have as much fun as the driver if we were to ride double?

BayouGirlUSA... I appreciate your vote of confidence. I hope I don't steer you wrong.

I have used Grand Cayman Cruise Excursions three times and they have been great. (They are part of Island Marketing Ltd.) The first time we actually had to bypass Grand Cayman because of weather and I promptly received a refund of my deposit... which is a good sign about the company. The other times were once for the wave runners and once for a catamaran trip for my whole family (22 of us).

The wave-runner trip we took was only to Stingray City and to Rum Point, but I suspect they will modify the tour for what you want to do if you contact them. They were always prompt in any correspondence with me. Here's a link for their standard waverunner tour:

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityWaveRunner.htm

Have a blast!

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

Did you enjoy this tour? This is the one my husband and I have been considering booking. Did you ride singles or doubles? How much time would you estimate is spent on the jetski and how much time at each stop? Also, did you purchase the $5 transporation/way they offered or did you take some other kind of transportation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Amber

Amwait... This was a great excursion and I had a lot of fun. Usually most folks want their own waverunner and I think that is the most fun... and worth the extra bucks. However, you may have someone timid or hasn't done that kind of stuff before that may want to be a passenger the first time. An advantage of riding double with your "significant other" is you do get some extra hugging time.:D

I took the transportation they offered. It was "no muss and no fuss". You could probably do a little better if you have a group of people going with you, but it's not likely if it is just you and your husband. Also, by using the transportation offered I knew there would be no problem finding something to get back to the port area. The directions to the pick-up were easy to follow.

Total time on the waverunner was probably about 1 1/2 hours although I didn't really pay attention. We were gone somewhere around 2 to 2 1/2 hours. We spent thirty or forty minutes (maybe more) at Stingray City and about an hour at Rum Point. While we were at Rum Point some of the people I was with looked around ashore while the rest of us messed around on the waverunners. (Some of the doubles let their partners try it out as singles.) The rest of the time was getting back and forth to Stingray City and Rum Point.

I hope that helps. Of course it just gets my "fever" going. I guess I better figure out how to book another cruise to Grand Cayman;)

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

There will be a total of 3 ships, 2 carnival and ons MSC, in GC the day we are there. I definitely want to grab a stingray city tour for $25-30 pp with 2 adults and 2 kids in port that morning. Should I be worried that it will be crowded or sold out with 10,000 people in port that day? My kids are 5 &8 and I would not want them to be disappointed. Is there any chance we would not find this excursion the day of?

There will be a total of 3 ships, 2 carnival and ons MSC, in GC the day we are there. I definitely want to grab a stingray city tour for $25-30 pp with 2 adults and 2 kids in port that morning. Should I be worried that it will be crowded or sold out with 10,000 people in port that day? My kids are 5 &8 and I would not want them to be disappointed. Is there any chance we would not find this excursion the day of?

IMO, yes, there is a chance it will be sold out, but if you're not fussy and just want cheap then you might be okay. It will likely be crowded, since those cheaper excursions are usually the larger boats that hold *a lot* of people. However, your chances aren't nearly as bad for finding something as they would be if there were 5-6 ships in port...

Jrw118 If you are worried about getting a tour at the dock why don't you contact Captain Marvin's. We used them in March with children 7 and 9 and they were wonderful. Prices are very close to what you said you would like to pay and you won't have to worry about disappointing the children. Enjoy your day in Grand Cayman.

Grand Cayman is well equipped to handle three ships. I have been there when five ships were anchored in the harbor. (It was crowded)

I suspect with three ships you'll have no problem. Part of it depends on which ships are first. If you are last, then you may not have as much to choose from when you get to shore. In that case, you may want to book in advance with one of the tour operators. (I have used Grand Cayman Cruise Excursions for three different tours and they have done well for me... http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/Excursions.htm )

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

Archived