Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

To clarify a point...It was an offer of $300.00 per cabin, not per person, which means my cabin mate and I each would get $150.00. So that does not begin to cover the lodging and food for the two and a half days of the cruise that was missed. As I said before...I have insurance...I did cancel...But if you were in my shoes and missed out on a vacation you had been planning on, you would expect to have a more accommodating attitude on the part of the cruise line. As I stated, if RCCL does not offer any incentives to rebook me on another cruise, then I will not cruise with them again.

What I can not understand is the hostile attitude being directed at the victims of this accident on this site, rather than than the perpetrator.

CAC, as you posted earlier, you were in New Orleans and could have stayed but instead chose to fly back on SW. You will get a full refund for both the air that you didn't use, the airfare you paid to get back, SW wasn't it? Free with the mileage you had on it?

YOU ARE NOT A VICTIM.. YOU ARE JUST A COMPLAINER..

SO STOP B..err COMPLAINING ALREADY. Yelling about it here isn't going to bring the ship in. YOU GOT A FULL REFUND... YOU HAD TRIP INSURANCE..

:p so ENOUGH already..SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS!!:cool:

Ship happens. Buy travel insurance and use it or take the $300 refund.

I agree. So sick of all the winers. There are ricks associated with all travel. If you don't like the risks stay at home. As for Royal Caribbean's liability refer to Cruise/Cruisetour Ticket Contract included in your documents.

The bottom line is...no one was hurt, that is not just the main point, it is the only point!

and as Fisherlady said...

so ENOUGH already..:D

Fisherlady, you edited your post...LOL:D :D

I liked the first version!!!!!

CAC, as you posted earlier, you were in New Orleans and could have stayed but instead chose to fly back on SW. You will get a full refund for both the air that you didn't use, the airfare you paid to get back, SW wasn't it? Free with the mileage you had on it?

YOU ARE NOT A VICTIM.. YOU ARE JUST A COMPLAINER..

SO STOP B..err COMPLAINING ALREADY. Yelling about it here isn't going to bring the ship in. YOU GOT A FULL REFUND... YOU HAD TRIP INSURANCE..

:p so ENOUGH already..SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS!!:cool:

(((clap, clap, clap, clap, clap))) THANK YOU!!!:)

As far as I am concerned, it is not whining. It is presenting the facts as they were, and unless you were in the situation, you have no idea of how frustrating it was. I speak for those who did not have the insurance, and who were more or less stuck in the situation. I was able to get out of it, but I feel sorry for those who could not.

Again, I fail to see why there seems to be so much animosity towards those of us thinking that the situation could have been handled better. For instance, it was posted that those returning are being put up for free in the Hyatt and given $70.00 per day for food until they can get a flight out. Why is their situation different than those people stuck in N.O. waiting for the ship to arrive. RCCL was supposed to be taking care of us starting 3:00 on Saturday. I fail to see why they weren't responsible for providing us with the same deal they are giving the passengers getting off the ship, who by the way, had an additional two days on the ship.

I am an open minded person. If someone can explain to me why one set of passengers are treated differently than others, then I will try to understand.

You people are something else. I'm on this cruise tomorrow. I have travel insurance and live here in NOLA. I will go and have the best time I can but you cannot tell me that the $3000+ fare I paid for two for a 7 DAY cruise which will now be a 5 Day cruise is fare. If I wanted to buy a 5 day cruise it would have been cheaper than a 7 day. So why is so "whiney" to simply feel that a 2 day refund is out of line? I don't want the credit, I don't even was a discount on a future cruise...I just want a fair and equitable return of my fare for 2 days. My travel insurance is not going to cover those 2 days since I will be cruising the other 5. I am plantinum with RCCL. But if they don't see through on an equitable compensation then this will be my last cruise with them. Sure, they can do without my business but I will also be very very sure to tell everyone as much and as often as I can to go with Carinval or NCL since we have both of those cruiselines here in NOLA as well.

I think you would be singing a different song if it was your cruise and it happened to you.

Boy am I glad I'm not on THAT receiving end! ;) ANYONE ELSE SAILING ON THE 30TH? :D :p :D

I'm thinking that those who sail on this next cruise will get some special treatments aboard..maybe 2-for-1 happy hour, 50% off spa treatments, sushi....who knows? It would be a very nice gesture to those loyal passengers, wouldn't it now?

I never feel sorry for people who do not purchase insurance, be it auto, homeowners, health or travel. I was raised to believe that if you can't afford to insure it you can't afford to own it. If you don't purchase it it is your risk, live with it.

There is no animosity, I will call it annoyance.:mad:

I would venture to say that there is no one on this board who is in a position to make financial decisions for Royal Caribbean, so basically what an am saying is...you are preaching to the choir. (And the choir doesn't care)

My suggestion and at the risk of repeating myself is... call Royal Caribbean, tell them how you feel and maybe they can help you. We can't!!!

Perhaps, and I do have some sympathy for those of you who had the foresight to buy travel insurance. For those who didn't bother to get the insurance, no sympathy. I'd be interested to see what the cruise contract says about this. I may be wrong, but I believe the cruiseline states somewhere that they can't be held responsible for accidents or delays for whatever reason. Those of you getting ready to go on the ship tomorrow should have this handy. Can you clarify what the contract says about this?

Question for you...If I offered you a 5 day cruise, but told you that you would have to pay the amount of a 7 day cruise because I was running late, would you buy it?

That's the whole point. The insurance will not pay for those two days that are being charged, but not provided. A $150.00 ship credit per person is not equal to what people have paid for the two and half days cut out...

I feel I am smarter than to fall for a deal like that and cancelled. But, for the future, I think a better policy should be set up if a similar situation happens.

You people are unbelievable! I am not even going on this cruise and I feel bad for these people! It's not ONLY about the money! It's lost vacation time! It's being stuck having ot make last minute travel arrangements for something that was not their fault! It was basically being told to suck it up by RCCL!

I can't believe that insurance or no insurance that you guys CANT SEE that RCCL is NOT being fair to their passangers! Insurance might cover it, but it sure as heck won't give peace of mind in sailing with Royal Caribbean again.

I would have to agree 100% with those who are saying the compensation is no where near enough. I am booked on a 7-day later this year and have insuarnce. If a similar situation occors and I am offerred what little they have been, I will be out major money. Cancelling and not going on the cruise and thus losing out on a vacation that has been planned for nine months is not a pleasant option either. Those who are getting their vacation cut short are victims, maybe not of the crash but of RCCL. Show me where they are being fair to these people.

For the record I understand that you all can't do anything for us. I did contact RCCL and lodged a formal complaint. I will also do so with guest relations when (and if) we get on board. I too would have like to cancel but it is too difficult for us to reschedule the vacation time from work. Additionally, we would have lost out on the money from the Murder portion ($200+) since that was not being offered as a refund.

I realize this is not your problem and I resent that you feel that we have done nothing but complain. I said my peace a couple of days ago and haven't said anything further other than to watch the boards to see how the repair work was progressing. Seems to me that many of you came to this thread and starting complaining about the complainers. I am sure there are many other threads you could be reading and helping others out with..if you don't like to hear about our complaints and/or concerns then go to another thread that isnt centered on the Grandeur and the accident and those concerned about their upcoming cruises on this ship.

You people are unbelievable! I am not even going on this cruise and I feel bad for these people! It's not ONLY about the money! It's lost vacation time! It's being stuck having ot make last minute travel arrangements for something that was not their fault! It was basically being told to suck it up by RCCL!

I can't believe that insurance or no insurance that you guys CANT SEE that RCCL is NOT being fair to their passangers! Insurance might cover it, but it sure as heck won't give peace of mind in sailing with Royal Caribbean again.

My question is...and at the risk of repeating myself...what are you accomplishing here? The productive stance would be to call Royal Caribbean or better yet have your attorney call Royal Caribbean and voice your concerns.

Sorry, as of right now Royal Caribbean has not gven me the authority over their financial matters. I they had I would give (most of you:D ) a free cruise.

Now pass my umbrellie drink :D :D

We did not incur any expenses with this delay other than the loss of 2 day fare. We live here so there were no extra costs like air or hotel so there is nothing for the insurance to cover at this point. We do have them "researching' the claim and they said they will get back to us but I don't think it qualifies as "trip interruption". Trip delay for sure but then we didnt have any costs.

Most insurance policies have a cap on the amount of compensation they will pay for trip delay. The CSA policy is a maximum of $500.00. What we think is unfair is that RCCL is not pro-rating this cruise to a 5 day price, but still keeping our money paid for a 7 day cruise, even though we were not on the ship for those days and it was not our fault. So, RCCL keeps the money for the cruise, and we are paying for the hotel and food waiting for the ship...double expensed for the two and a half days. Do you understand what I am saying? We paid for the two and half days to RCCL, but are also expected to pay for another hotel, etc. to wait for the ship.

If you have insurance you can get money back for some expense and that does not include the entertainment while waiting, but for those, and there are a lot of people who didn't have insurance, (and that is not what I am debating because I have it), they are not getting a fair deal. The other option was to cancel and not have a vacation. This is what I did. I now have two golf dates set for this next week, and some jobs lined up for the end of the week. I will use my refund to book another cruise, probably on HAL.

I completely agree with Carol on this one. This isn't an insurance/no insurance question, it is about fairness.

The current passengers were quite lucky and well taken care of: if you had the time, you got a few extra days on a beautiful ship--that's almost compensation enough in my book--and if you couldn't stay extra, you got to fly home early. But then they got $250 onboard credit for their "inconvenience" of an extra couple free days of vacation. And hotel rooms, meals, and flight arrangements taken care of, AS IT SHOULD BE. They must be very happy with the generous, thoughtful treatment for an unfortunate, unforeseen situation.

Now the folks scheduled for the 23rd are only getting offered $50 more for LOSING 2 1/2 days. HUH????? Where is the fairness in that??? I am leaving for our cruise this weekend, and am at the point of giddy anticipation! What a letdown if anything were to happen to mess up this trip we are sooooo looking forward to. Not even talking about any financial hits one may have to take, but EMOTIONAL ones. It would be really disappointing.

And when you see how generous the cruise line is to one set of passengers almost makes it more of a slap to the other set of passengers, and they are the ones truly inconvenienced by this unfortunate mishap. I, for one, have faith that RCI will come through with more for these folks, but I really don't understand the callousness some of you are displaying towards the completely understanding "venting" of these folks!

I to feel sorry for anyone on the 23rd cruise. Travel Ins. or not. I think it's more about the WHOLE VACATION that just got cut by 2 days. I would be sooooo bumbed. Forget about the $ what about the time! It was just one of those crappy things that happened, nothing else, to late and fact that can not be changed. Just plain ol' crappy. Sorry guys. I really hope RCI puts there heads together to come up with something to make you want to cruise with them again. Even if you decided to cancel or go on the trip it would be a good gesture on their part to give everyone 30% off a future cruise or something like that. Just my opinion, that would satisfy me.

Oh yes, I did lodge a formal complaint to RCCL, but the cruise critic boards have always been a place to share information. I think this situation provides some info for future cruises. If anything, it provides a good reason for people to be sure to take out cruise insurance.

For those of you bored with our postings, why do you keep reading them? What else would you like to see discussed? Are you on the Grandeur now, or supposed to be going on the next cruise? If not, jump over to another board and you won't have to be bothered by our point of view.

Archived