7am-3pm - Nohoch or Almaplena??

chauncy's wife

I will be in Costa Maya on the Dream in May & the ship will be in port from 7-3. I can't decide between Nohoch Kay & Almaplena Beach Resort. Snorkeling is very important to me so I would rather do Almaplena however I'm worried that I may not have enough time & will be throwing money away. I cannot see waking up so early that I make it into port the minute the ship docks but do plan on getting out around 9ish. It's a 20 min taxi ride to Almaplena plus the time it takes to find a taxi then worrying about getting back to the ship in time, etc. For those of you who had this itinerary, did you find you felt rushed & didn't have enough time in port? Also, I have searched the boards & no one has really spoken to the quality of snorkelling at Nohoch. Can anyone comment on on whether it was just OK or whether you just have to go further out & it's pretty good?

Personally, I wouldn't snorkel at NoHoch Kay, or any area of the beach along the malecon too much traffic in the channel. But Nohoch kay is a great spot for quiet beach, food and drink. Jaime is an excellent host and his crew will take good care of you.

I can't speak to Almaplena. It just opened up in December. I think it takes only 20-25 people per day. Supposed to be a very nice beach. Snorkeling from shore here might be okay. It's okay a klick or two futher south at Maya Chan, but not outstanding. Cozumel's Money Bar, Chankanaab, and Playa Corona or Roatan's Westbay/West End, have excellent shore snorkeling as comparison.

Taxis are about a 10 minute max walk from the ship, down the pier, through the crusie port area and out the gate to the Pharmaica, Tequila Museum, Hard Rock Cafe area. Taxi ride is inconcequential. You'll need to be back on board around 2:30PM (1:30P CM time). Your hosts (whether NK or AP) can arrange a taxi for pick up whenever you'd like. Taxis can bring you back into the port area parking lot on return.

While emtionally you might not want to leave either place, believe me 4-5 hours in the sun is plenty. Especially off the Dream where you could potentially have spent all 4 port days at a beach.

• 3 weeks later...

We were at Almaplena 2 weeks ago. It's lovely and very quiet. There is a reef about 25ft off shore. The day we were there was quite windy, so visibility was poor, yet we could still see rays, fish and colourful coral.

Takes about 20 mins each way in a taxi which you pick up at the port from a specific place and is included in the daily rate. We got a taxi at 10am and it collected us again at 3pm. The day flew by and I wish we could have been there longer.

• 4 weeks later...
We were at Almaplena 2 weeks ago. It's lovely and very quiet. There is a reef about 25ft off shore. The day we were there was quite windy, so visibility was poor, yet we could still see rays, fish and colourful coral.

Takes about 20 mins each way in a taxi which you pick up at the port from a specific place and is included in the daily rate. We got a taxi at 10am and it collected us again at 3pm. The day flew by and I wish we could have been there longer.

Do you pre-book this I assume? Where is their website? Cost? Thanks in advance. :)

Archived