All this talk about reading the documentation

flagger

There is always all this talk about the importance of reading the documentation from the cruiseline when it comes to the dress code, etc. Can someone then explain to me why someone always posts if they will receive their passport, Birth certificate in time for their cruise in two weeks. There was a USA Today article posted yesterday that said the average cruiser is now booking his or her cruise eight months in advance. Surely there cannot be that many people who do not realise you need proof of citizenship when you leave the country.

Personally we keep our passports in my digi-cam bag. It goes with us on every vacation cruise or land but it is always in reach. We even verify the expiration date when we have booked a trip even though ours expire and 2012/2013 and baby's in 2009.

I just don't get it and really don't feel that sorry for those people rushing around because they didn't read the documentation. As opposed to the dress code info in the shoreside docs, it does say REQUIRED for the proof of citizenship.

As a travel agent and also a part-time shore support staff (checking in cruise guests at the pier), trust me.....it happens A LOT!!

Even when I put "Passport or Birth Certificate Required" highlighted in yellow on everything I send to the client,they still forget/don't know where their birth certificate is/forget to tell me the name they booked with is NOT the name that is on their documents, etc.

It always amazes me.

A lot of people don't realize that they also have to bring their marriage license if their birth certificate is in maiden name and name has changed due to marriage. It never says that in any of the cruise documents I have received. I have been asked for it on 2 out of 7 cruises and am glad I thought to bring it. Most of the time they just look at the birth certificate and drivers license and don't seem bothered by the two different names. but I would hate to be without the additional documentation the one time they did decide it was essential!

g.F.

Once again (amazing) I agree with Flagger 100%. What's the problem? Get your passport. Maybe its the money? I dunno. But, get your passport, don't wait till the last minute. I would think this is 'the most' important piece of documentation to get if you are a traveller (unless of course you never see yourself travelling out of the country).

flagger !

You have 2, count em, 2 countdown clocks tickin away! Decided that cruising really suits ya then? Does that mean you have accepted your membership into the O.A.T.C?

You will have to make the next DFW M&M get together in July!

Of corse it is not 'REQUIRED' :D

When I took my first cruise eight years ago, I thought that was a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Now I'm cruising again in five weeks, and had to dig out birth certificates and marriage license. I ordered new bcs so I would have a spare, and my birth home county said they had no record of me or my husband. I surely didn't want to turn lose of my only copies until they "find" us again. Maybe someday I will get passports, but I really doubt if we will cruise again, but you never know, do you? If I can't be in the Smokies, let me on a cruiseship.

You will have to make the next DFW M&M get together in July!
Sorry to say, we have moved to the great state of confusion where DST is not observed. So trying to make the M&M would be a 17.5 hour drive so not going to happen.

Thanks, Doug. That's the point EXACTLY... and many of us have seen those that have apparently missed the point... Which is - Don't worry about the Cruise Line and what they may, or may not ask for in the way of official ID. You can carry the whole family geneology tree. After 12/31/05, if you have been to the Carib. You will need a passport.

I let my passport expire in the early '90s. We weren't traveling out of the country other than to the Caribbean and Canada, so I figured I did not need one. I'm planning on getting another this summer--to be ready to avoid the rush in case we sail again this Christmas. Last year's Christmas/New Year's cruise disembarked on January 2.

Just remember, you will need a passport to re-enter the United States from anywhere in the Carribean (sp?) starting Dec.31 of this year. Not just the Bahamas and Mexico.

CANADA, too! http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2224.html

See the various starting dates for entering from Canada -- first it'll be entering via air and sea, then land border crossings, as well.

Archived