Rental car in Auckland & dropoff at port?

Pearl64

We will be sailing on the Solstice next January. We want to arrive a few days early in order to see some of the North Island plus dealing with jet lag from the US. We have found a B and B in Russell for three nights. We are looking for a car rental for 4 days. Yes, I know we can get all the main rental companies at the airport, but is there one which will be able to drop us off at the ship? I had read that someone did that but I cannot find it through the search engine. If not, can someone tell me the easiest way to drop off the car and get to the ship by midafternoon on a Monday? I know it is a year away but I need to get these logistics firm before I make air reservations.

We were told to look for a place to stay in Matakana on our way to the Bay of Islands. Is this doable after a flight from the US? From what we have read here there doesn't seem to be much in Auckland so we thought we would go to quieter places.

Thanks for all help.

Pearl

We will be sailing on the Solstice next January. We want to arrive a few days early in order to see some of the North Island plus dealing with jet lag from the US. We have found a B and B in Russell for three nights. We are looking for a car rental for 4 days. Yes, I know we can get all the main rental companies at the airport, but is there one which will be able to drop us off at the ship? I had read that someone did that but I cannot find it through the search engine. If not, can someone tell me the easiest way to drop off the car and get to the ship by midafternoon on a Monday? I know it is a year away but I need to get these logistics firm before I make air reservations.

We were told to look for a place to stay in Matakana on our way to the Bay of Islands. Is this doable after a flight from the US? From what we have read here there doesn't seem to be much in Auckland so we thought we would go to quieter places.

Thanks for all help.

Pearl

In December, we hired a car from Omega Rental Cars, who picked us up from Auckland Airport and dropped us back at the port, no extra charge. I highly recommend them. You can do a quote on the internet.

They gave good direction how to get out of Auckland, which is a good idea until you get used to driving on the wrong side of the road. We drove directly to the Bay of Islands late afternoon no trouble. We stayed at the Copthorne Hotel and Resort, Bay of Islands, with full breakfast. A superb waterfront location, offering uninterrupted Bay views surrounded by 60 acres of subtropical gardens and part of the historic Waitangi Treaty Grounds.

The night before our cruise, we stayed at Takapuna Oaks, in a quiet residential area on the north shore of Auckland. These are waterfront self contained units, with free wifi/internet access, washing machine and continental breakfast. In addition, the owners provide free ferry tickets to Auckland CBD.

Tip - If you take your rental car back mid afternoon, check in at the ship towards the end of the check in time (which we did with no queue).

BTW - There is lots to do in Auckland. If you decide to spend a night there, I'd recommend Quality Hotel Barry Court in Parnell, Auckland. From the executive suites, you can watch the ships come in, over tree tops, in the distance. This is in a quiet area, easy to drive to, and walking distance to the beautiful Parnell rose gardens and the Domain, with Auckland's War Memorial Museum, and close to Parnell shopping.

We booked all accommodation on line through Agoda and Wotif, at discount rates.

Hello --

My wife and I rented with Hertz while we were in New Zealand and found a large number of available pickup and drop off locations. Hertz has a downtown location at 154 Victoria Street, a short distance from the Cruise Port. You may want to inquire with them about options to bring you to the port, but the distance is negligible, so you could pick up a very short taxi run or even walk, if you are up for it.

Contact with any questions and enjoy your trip!

Cheers!

-- Darin

cruisechaos at gmail dot com

Archived