Help Needed for Sales Meeting Attire!

Gym Girl

Hello, everyone!

I am attending a sales meeting in NC next month for 4 days. I need some suggestions on what to wear during the seminars, as well as for the cocktail parties and dinners. We're having the meeting at the Grandover Resort in Greensboro, if that helps. The company I work for is fairly casual, but I want to look stylish and professional.

And I am told there are only 8 women in sales in our 22 branches, and 40 men! Should be interesting!

thanks for your help in advance!!!

Betsy

You don't state your age range, that could make a big difference.

A little black dress is indispensible. Wear it one night with a jacket or dressy sweater, again on another night alone. Or change accessories to change the look. You might want to throw in one "fun" dress or pants outfit for one of the evenings.

For daytime, think light layers and comfortable waist bands. You may be sitting a lot and you can run into some rooms that have a lot of air conditioning. Also, consider the fabric you are wearing, good quality knits are a great choice. They hold their shape, are soft enough to be sitting on all day and pack easily. I would coordinate a wardrobe in complimentary colors that mix and match, perhaps a skirt and pants with tops that match everything. Comfortable shoes are a must for meetings, actually for any time, I know if my feet hurt I'm miserable.

Don't forget to pack at least one pair of shorts/t shirt and your bathing suit.

Gym Girl

I would call the home office and ask if there are any dress codes for the meeting. Find out of you're expected to be in a suit or if pants and a nice twin sweater set is appropriate.

Also, you might want to call another female in the company who's been to these meetings before and ask her for advice. Also find out if the cocktail parties and dinners will be directly after work or if you'll have time to go back to your room to change.

Jane

I was in sales and sales management in high tech for over 20 years for various compnaies. At the last, where I spent 8 years, I was the one and only female exec in the company. We had 1500 employees.

You are right to be concerned about the impression you make. I can tell you positively that the women we hired and or promoted were judged on how professional they dressed. It was discussed in meetings and with Human Resources. While the guys like to see a little cleavage on a personal level, most of them don't want their employees walking around dressed inappropriately.

I always wore nice slacks and blouses to business meetings. Twinsets are a lifesaver, as I get cold easily and the rooms tend to be overly airconditioned. Casual pantsuits were also an option.

Conservative skirts also work well. I would not wear sandals at all during the day.

For evening, a classy black dress or skirt set or pants suit is always appropriate. "Little" black dress concerns me. You want to be stylish and elegant and not look like you are going partying.

I mentored several women over the years and helped them with hair, makeup and clothing choices. It really DOES make a difference!

I have attended many a sales meeting at the Grandover in Greensboro.

I would wear a neutral colored suit (black, tan, or navy) with a white blouse, hose, and shoes.

Your office may be casual but that doesn't mean the other offices are casual. You would be better off being overly conservative the first day than under dressed. You can always go less casual during the week by switching the jacket with a sweater set and forgoing the hose and pumps with mules.

Thanks everyone for your help! I know one of the corporate office secretaries, and she told me their sales meetings are "smart casual," but didn't know about the attire for cocktails, dinners.

By the way, I am 43 (YIKES!)- and wouldn't DREAM of wearing anything revealing, low cut, etc. By "little black dress," I meant a plain black sheath- sleeveless, that falls right above the knee. And paired with dressy mules.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions.

Betsy

Archived