tipping the shuttle driver

4spring

Last cruise CC had a wheelchair brought out to the shuttle & a employe pushed the ol'man all the way up to the 7th floor to pick up his scooter, it was at guest services. I gave that dear man $20.00, Larry is not a small guy :eek:.

I'm with you I would like for them to at least give my tip a glance. :rolleyes:

Char

I have always thought not looking at the tip is the polite way to receive a tip. Wouldn't it be awkward for the person to stand and stare at what you gave them. As long as they awknowlege the money with a thank you,what more is there to do?

When I waitressed if a customer handed me a tip personally I would smile and say "thank you" as I slipped it into my pocket. I always thought it was awkward, and actually kind of rude, if I were to look at the tip before putting it into my pocket. Of course once I got back behind the counter I would take it out of my pocket, look at it, and add it to my tip cup underneath the counter. Now if was an exceptionally large tip I would try to make sure I said "thank you" again as the customer was leaving.

When we eat in a restaurant we almost always try to give our tip to the server personally as I know there can occasionally be theft of tips so we want to make sure he/she gets it. I can't recall a server ever actually looking at the tip when we hand it to them. They always do as I did, smile, say "thank you" and put it in their pocket. I think that's the best way to do it.

When I waitressed if a customer handed me a tip personally I would smile and say "thank you" as I slipped it into my pocket. I always thought it was awkward, and actually kind of rude, if I were to look at the tip before putting it into my pocket. Of course once I got back behind the counter I would take it out of my pocket, look at it, and add it to my tip cup underneath the counter. Now if was an exceptionally large tip I would try to make sure I said "thank you" again as the customer was leaving.

When we eat in a restaurant we almost always try to give our tip to the server personally as I know there can occasionally be theft of tips so we want to make sure he/she gets it. I can't recall a server ever actually looking at the tip when we hand it to them. They always do as I did, smile, say "thank you" and put it in their pocket. I think that's the best way to do it.

Agreed. That's how I did it when I was a waitress. I thought it was rude to look at it as if I were judging them in front of their face. I always put it in an empty pocket of my apron so I could look at it away from them, then add it to the pocket with all of my tip money. A always thanked everybody for any tip but if it was a really nice tip I made sure to say extra thank yous as they walked out. And truth be told, if it was an incredibly low tip for the work I did, I would get sad/angry/annoyed/whatever when I finally looked at the tip and I'd hate to actually appear that way in front of a guest, even if they deserved it. So by not looking at it, I wouldn't accidentally show my annoyance.

It is very common to keep the tip separate and look at it as you're getting back in the bus/taxi out of sight. I did that when driving taxi because anything else just sermed rude.

The driver will give you that extra wave when leaving, and if you return to the same place often you can be sure to be taken care of.

Archived