Alcohol Question

cmdknw

The best place to purchase Rum (it has to be Cruzan) and other alcohol is actually at the Kmart. However, you will have to carry it back with you to the ship. Alot of people buy at AH Riise on Main St. or at the smaller Havensite location. The advantage there is they will deliver right to the ship for you. That way you won't have to carry it around all day with you. In fact, you won't see it till the last night of the cruise when it will be delivered to your door.

As a US Citizen you are allowed 5 bottles duty free and a 6th bottle if that bottle is made in the USVI. Cruzan is the local rum, but Captain Morgan recently opened shop on St. Croix and is eligable for the 6th bottle, as is Southern Comfort, also made on St. Croix.

One issue, you will not be able to bring back any 151. I tried when we were on a cruise there in '08. The ship left from NYC and we drove to and from the port, and they still would not allow it to be sold. They state concerns about flying with it. Even when I said there would be no flying involved they still said, no go.

I would personally recommend the Cruzan One Barrel and the Black Strap. Can never go wrong with the Cruzan Gold ( 80 proof) and the coconut flavored one is good for mixed drinks.

Scott

What are the prices? Carrying it isn't a problem, and we're driving as well...we're just looking to stock up if it's significantly cheaper. A bottle of cruzan here runs us around $15-20....depending on if it's on sale or not.

Prices vary, depends on what you buy. I bought some One Barrel at AH Riise while on a cruise stop there along with some other stuff for freinds and family and had them deliver it to the ship. I actually probably wouldn't have bought it if I was only going for one bottle, but since my 6th Duty Free had to be USVI made, I figured why not. It's still one of my faves, smooth like a fine Cognac. If I recall a few years ago it was $25 for the bottle. I have sene the same bottle sell in hotel shops and other stores for as much as $50.

Regular Cruzan -Light or Gold 80 proof I recall averages in the $7 a bottle range. I remember however when a 1/5 used to be a buck :)

Scott

As a US Citizen you are allowed 5 bottles duty free and a 6th bottle if that bottle is made in the USVI. Cruzan is the local rum, but Captain Morgan recently opened shop on St. Croix and is eligable for the 6th bottle, as is Southern Comfort, also made on St. Croix.

What about a Canadian citizen? Or how can one find out the information.

thanks.

You might want to get some rums you might not find in the States. The chocolate rum at Riise should be a Valentine staple. :-)

And don't forget the "Rum Jumby" the one in the bottle that looks like a man and wearing a straw hat...Can't get that in the US ;)

Archived