Is this doable for our land tour?

dancerwith4kids

Pick up free Jr Ranger packs for the older kids. It will give them something to work on during the shuttle ride.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm

http://www.nps.gov/webrangers/

We had a family with a 3yr old and 3 month old on our bus to Wonder Lake (they had an RV in Tek campground for 3 nites). The 3 yr old kept very busy with her kit.

They might have the kits at the Exit Glacier VC, and Begich Boggs VC in Portage.

If the younger kids don't go on the Kenai cruise, there is a kids playground about 2 blocks from the harbor near the camping area. And a really nice waterfront path that leads into town ( 1 1/2 miles). It's fun to watch the otters play in the Bay as you walk along the Path. The path ends near the SeaLife Center.

The Kenai cruise is awesome on a calm clear day. My advice is... if the office says the cruise MAY NOT leave the Bay due to rough seas, take the refund. Because it won't leave the Bay. They're in communication with the fishing boats so they know what the conditions are, but giving you hope gets their boat out and at least some revenue. I thought the Bay tour was a waste. I've fallen for that story twice and got stuck with a Bay tour.

That's good to know. They give refunds if they don't go out of the bay?

I was planning on getting the Jr. Ranger kits. I will check the Portage G. and Exit G. VS, thanks!

That's good to know. They give refunds if they don't go out of the bay? quote]

They offered 2 kinds of refunds with the announcement:

1. if you choose not to get on the boat at all, they refund in full

2. if you get on the boat, and it becomes the bay tour, they will refund the difference in price between the long tour and the bay tour.

That has been my experience twice, with 2 different vendors. Hopefully you'll have great weather!

Talkeetna is a beautiful little town. Quaint.

But Don is right. Only things at Talkeetna area are Denali flights, maybe the river rafting trip, and the two sled dog kennels.

I also mentioned it, due to it being a great meal stop. :)

Wish I can say the dancing onboard the ship is good. On Diamond, the DJ was alright, and receptive to music requests. But there's just not many people actually out on the floor dancing during ballroom nights / events.

The floor was alright.

My husband loves to swing dance. We may have to try that out on the cruise!

My husband loves to swing dance. We may have to try that out on the cruise!

You'll get the chance :)

On Diamond on the Glacier Northbound cruise last year:

Wheelhouse Bar had a live band that played jazz, latin, and swing jazz at most nights. Deck 7

Explorer Lounge had live band for ballroom for 1 night (I seem to remember). Deck 7

Club Fusion had DJ playing ballroom most nights. Deck 7.

Archived