Is this doable for our land tour?

dancerwith4kids

Thanks for all the wonderful info I got on this board! We switched from a cruisetour to doing it own our own. We are traveling with 4 adults (2 grandfathers) my husband and myself,and our 4 children age 8,6,3,1. Here is what I have so far. I am wondering if I am estimating enough time for travel and enough time to see what we want. Thanks for any suggestions!

Arrive Whittier on June 13th - disembark, pick up rental van from Midnight Sun in Whittier. Try to be at tunnel by 8:50am - will we be off the ship by then?

Drive to Seward, 12-5 Kenai Fjords Tour with Major Marine, hotel in Seward, maybe go to Exit Glacier

June 14th-Sea Life Center or Exit Glacier, after lunch drive to Alyeska Resort- Portage Glacier & Alaska Wildlife Cons Center on the way. Maybe pan for gold that evening. Stay @ Alyeska

June 15th-Breakfast,head to Denali-stop at Turnagain arm, Wasilla (get food) anything else we want to stop at. Suggestions? We have all day to get there. Stay @ Denali River Cabins

June 16th-Husband & FIL taking shuttle bus into the park, other's do visitor's center, dog sled demo, etc. That evening do ATV treasure hunt with Black Diamond Tours. Denali River Cabins

June 17th-Anything we missed that morning, head to Byer's Lake campground for kayak tour at 11:30am. After tour head back to ANC and make stops along the way, Thunderbird Falls? Eagle River Nature Center?

stay in ANC for the night.

June 18th - have the day to tour ANC, possibly rent bikes along Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Fly out @ 9:50pm.

Thanks for your input! I am so excited for this trip!

Wow! That sounds like very busy schedule with small children. Especially your debarkation day, June 13 sounds tight. You may or may not be off the ship to catch the tunnel. I just printed up a tunnel schedule yesterday. If you don't make the tunnel out of Whittier at 9:00 then you will have to wait until 10:00 a.m. It is on the hour. Sounds tight if you have to go at 10:00 am and make the 12:00 noon boat with Major Marine.

I think I would have a Plan B if I were you such as switching the plans for the 13 and 14th around.

Just my thoughts only.................

There is only one minor problem. On the trip to Denali you say "stop at Turnagain arm". Turnagain arm is a bay of water that runs from south Anchorage to Portage. You will be driving along turn again arm as soon as you get out of the Kenai mountains. At the bottom of the hill, the road levels out and you make a big turn-that body of water is Turnagain arm.

Are you saying you will stop someplace along Turnagain arm? Because it is not near Wasilla.

FYI.

There is only one minor problem. On the trip to Denali you say "stop at Turnagain arm". Turnagain arm is a bay of water that runs from south Anchorage to Portage. You will be driving along turn again arm as soon as you get out of the Kenai mountains. At the bottom of the hill, the road levels out and you make a big turn-that body of water is Turnagain arm.

Are you saying you will stop someplace along Turnagain arm? Because it is not near Wasilla.

FYI.

Sorry, I meant we would stop at the scenic places around Turnagain Arm and we would stop in Wasilla on our way up to Denali. We will probably stop a lot more than that.

Arrive Whittier on June 13th - disembark, pick up rental van from Midnight Sun in Whittier. Try to be at tunnel by 8:50am - will we be off the ship by then?

You can get off the ship starting 6:30am. Depends on which time slot your ship sets you for disembarkation, you may get off the ship as early as 7am or as late as 830am. But I think you can request to get off the ship early enough.

June 15th-Breakfast,head to Denali-stop at Turnagain arm, Wasilla (get food) anything else we want to stop at. Suggestions? We have all day to get there. Stay @ Denali River Cabins

That a bit of a drive, are you sure everyone can sit in a car for so long?

In Wasilla, you can go to the Iditarod Trail HQ and Museum, and do $10 dog sled ride. If you arrive in Whittier at end of August early September, I would suggest go to Palmer and attend the Alaska State Fair. There's also mull farm & reindeer farm at Palmer for the little kids.

For the drive from Alyeska to Denali, look at Google Map and see how far a drive that is mile wise, then divide by 40 miles / hour to get a realistic idea of drive time.

----------------------

This is a really tight scheduled trip... I am more worried that your children will be pooped by the end of the vacation instead of refreshed :)

You can get off the ship starting 6:30am. Depends on which time slot your ship sets you for disembarkation, you may get off the ship as early as 7am or as late as 830am. But I think you can request to get off the ship early enough.

Thank you! I was hoping for that.

That a bit of a drive, are you sure everyone can sit in a car for so long?

In Wasilla, you can go to the Iditarod Trail HQ and Museum, and do $10 dog sled ride. If you arrive in Whittier at end of August early September, I would suggest go to Palmer and attend the Alaska State Fair. There's also mull farm & reindeer farm at Palmer for the little kids.

We drive from SD to VA a few times a yr. That is a 22 hr. drive that our kids are used to. Not fun, but manageable. I had heard about the Iditarod Trail HQ. Probably will do that. We are going in June so we will miss the State Fair.

For the drive from Alyeska to Denali, look at Google Map and see how far a drive that is mile wise, then divide by 40 miles / hour to get a realistic idea of drive time.

----------------------

This is a really tight scheduled trip... I am more worried that your children will be pooped by the end of the vacation instead of refreshed :)

I was wondering that too. We can crash when we get home. =) We can always take things out. We are going with a flexible mindset. Thanks for the input!

Definitely do-able! Nice job on the research. The only long-ish drive is Alyeska to Denali. Alyeska is about 1 hr south of Anc and Denali is about 6 hrs north of Anc.

What time is your car available? You REALLY need to make that 9am tunnel! Perhaps have the designated drivers leave the ship early to do the paperwork while the others work on disembarking. Actually I'm surprised you're doing the Kenai cruise after coming off the ship, only because you have such a large group. It's a great tour, don't get me wrong! You're ambitious!

The Alyeska area offers a lot to do with the kids so it's a great choice. Another option would be to enjoy the afternoon around Alyeska, have dinner, then drive to Wasilla (2 hrs) to overnight.

The kids will enjoy the sled dog demo! Depending on how you think the kids would manage, while your husband is in the Park, you could take the free shuttle to Savage River at Mile 15. It's only 1 hr each way. You can stay on the same bus, or, follow the Savage River trail part way and catch a later bus back. Or maybe an adult could take the 2 older kids??

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/courtesy-shuttle-buses.htm

Look thru the Park's newspaper, the Alpenglow for other ideas.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/newspaper.htm

Sounds like a great family trip. We always did busy trips like that when I was a kid. Except we camped! Looking back I don't know how my mother managed it, with 5 kids. Enjoy!

Definitely do-able! Nice job on the research. The only long-ish drive is Alyeska to Denali. Alyeska is about 1 hr south of Anc and Denali is about 6 hrs north of Anc.

What time is your car available? You REALLY need to make that 9am tunnel! Perhaps have the designated drivers leave the ship early to do the paperwork while the others work on disembarking. Actually I'm surprised you're doing the Kenai cruise after coming off the ship, only because you have such a large group. It's a great tour, don't get me wrong! You're ambitious!

The Alyeska area offers a lot to do with the kids so it's a great choice. Another option would be to enjoy the afternoon around Alyeska, have dinner, then drive to Wasilla (2 hrs) to overnight.

The kids will enjoy the sled dog demo! Depending on how you think the kids would manage, while your husband is in the Park, you could take the free shuttle to Savage River at Mile 15. It's only 1 hr each way. You can stay on the same bus, or, follow the Savage River trail part way and catch a later bus back. Or maybe an adult could take the 2 older kids??

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/courtesy-shuttle-buses.htm

Look thru the Park's newspaper, the Alpenglow for other ideas.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/newspaper.htm

Sounds like a great family trip. We always did busy trips like that when I was a kid. Except we camped! Looking back I don't know how my mother managed it, with 5 kids. Enjoy!

Thanks so much! I never thought about taking the shuttle bus to Savage River. We drive from SD to VA a few times a yr which is a 22 hr. drive. Our kids are used to that so I figured if we took the whole day and stop along the way from Alyeska to Denali they could handle that. I have done a lot of research and gotten so many great ideas from these boards. It has been fun planning.

I did wonder if it would be too much to get off the ship and then do the Kenai Fjords tour right after but we wanted more time at The Alyeska on the next day. If we have melt downs we can always change our plans. Thanks! I feel better about our plan so far.

the drive may seem daunting to some folks, but it sounds like you're experienced with road trips, so Alyeska to Denali will be fine. Plus it's an easy drive.

I have to ask ... the easy choice for a day cruise would be from Whittier, so why did you choose Seward instead? for the opportunity to view sealife?

the drive may seem daunting to some folks, but it sounds like you're experienced with road trips, so Alyeska to Denali will be fine. Plus it's an easy drive.

I have to ask ... the easy choice for a day cruise would be from Whittier, so why did you choose Seward instead? for the opportunity to view sealife?

since they are sailing into Whittier, they will have seen College Fjord. So I guess that's why :)

As for the kids getting tired, at that time of year, it simply does not get dark in Alaska. Kids have a hard time getting tired and going to bed, so it should not be much of a problem.

Actually, getting down to sleep will be the problem.

since they are sailing into Whittier, they will have seen College Fjord. So I guess that's why :)

But, wouldn't they be sailing into College Fjords in the early morning hours while they are sleeping?

We are cruising College Fjord the day before we get to Whittier. I did consider the PWS cruise out of Whittier but after reading the posts on both and talking to my husband we decided on the Kenai Fjords.

I hope the kids won't have a hard time going to sleep. I am hoping they will be so tired the sun won't matter. =)

We are cruising College Fjord the day before we get to Whittier. I did consider the PWS cruise out of Whittier but after reading the posts on both and talking to my husband we decided on the Kenai Fjords.

I hope the kids won't have a hard time going to sleep. I am hoping they will be so tired the sun won't matter. =)

College Fjord was beautiful. Though on my day there, we didn't see any calving despite sitting in front of Harvard Glacier for like 2 hours...

Also, the scenery sort of reminded me of what we saw in Glacier Bay. Kinda wish I chose Southbound cruise so I could see Hubbard Glacier, which I was told was a completely different experience vs. Glacier Bay or any of the fjords.

I still had a wonderful time though :) no real regrets.

OH, out of curiosity, "dancerwith4kids", what kinda dancer? my wife and I dances Latin, mostly Salsa.

College Fjord was beautiful. Though on my day there, we didn't see any calving despite sitting in front of Harvard Glacier for like 2 hours...

Also, the scenery sort of reminded me of what we saw in Glacier Bay. Kinda wish I chose Southbound cruise so I could see Hubbard Glacier, which I was told was a completely different experience vs. Glacier Bay or any of the fjords.

I still had a wonderful time though :) no real regrets.

OH, out of curiosity, "dancerwith4kids", what kinda dancer? my wife and I dances Latin, mostly Salsa.

I do mostly ballet and modern. I wish I could do the Latin dances. It seems so much fun! Thanks for your comments.

You have a very doable plan. I too strongly suggest you also consider the Savage River Shuttle bus, even the Toklat shuttle for some of the other people, the kids would be free.

Not sure, why bothering to kayak Beyers Lake, it is so so at best, and just a fill in for the campers. IF there are any other interests, definately skip it. Talkeetna is a nice stop for a meal stop. Hatcher Pass, has wide open spaces. the Musk Ox and Raindeer farms, may be of interest for the kids?

Your Kenai Fjords tour, is short, be certain this is what you want to do??? 6 hours is the min. on the water for the best varied wildlife and glacier viewing.

You will have NO problem being in the 9am tunnel line up. You can leave the ship anytime after about 7am.

I didn't think you had to drive through the tunnel to get from Whittier to Seward. I thought the turn to Seward came before the tunnel. I knew you had to go through it to get to Anchorage though. Am I wrong?

I didn't think you had to drive through the tunnel to get from Whittier to Seward. I thought the turn to Seward came before the tunnel. I knew you had to go through it to get to Anchorage though. Am I wrong?

Yes you are wrong, you HAVE to drive through the tunnel to get in or out of Whittier.

You have a very doable plan. I too strongly suggest you also consider the Savage River Shuttle bus, even the Toklat shuttle for some of the other people, the kids would be free.

Not sure, why bothering to kayak Beyers Lake, it is so so at best, and just a fill in for the campers. IF there are any other interests, definately skip it. Talkeetna is a nice stop for a meal stop. Hatcher Pass, has wide open spaces. the Musk Ox and Raindeer farms, may be of interest for the kids?

Your Kenai Fjords tour, is short, be certain this is what you want to do??? 6 hours is the min. on the water for the best varied wildlife and glacier viewing.

You will have NO problem being in the 9am tunnel line up. You can leave the ship anytime after about 7am.

Thanks! I picked the 5 hr Kenai Fjords tour because of the kids. A lot of recommendations to go on the shorter tour. Also the price was much higher and for 8 of us was a lot of money. I will definitely look into the shorter shuttle bus trips into Denali.

The kayak tour is mostly for me. I really wanted to kayak and the boys are going fishing in Ketchikan so I am just going to tour that port instead of doing it there. I would like to stop in Talkeetna. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks! I picked the 5 hr Kenai Fjords tour because of the kids. A lot of recommendations to go on the shorter tour. Also the price was much higher and for 8 of us was a lot of money. I will definitely look into the shorter shuttle bus trips into Denali.

The kayak tour is mostly for me. I really wanted to kayak and the boys are going fishing in Ketchikan so I am just going to tour that port instead of doing it there. I would like to stop in Talkeetna. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Why do you want to stop in Talkeetna? Unless you are planning to do a Denali flight, Talkeetna has less than nothing to see or do.

DON

I do mostly ballet and modern. I wish I could do the Latin dances. It seems so much fun! Thanks for your comments.

Wish I can say the dancing onboard the ship is good. On Diamond, the DJ was alright, and receptive to music requests. But there's just not many people actually out on the floor dancing during ballroom nights / events.

The floor was alright.

Why do you want to stop in Talkeetna? Unless you are planning to do a Denali flight, Talkeetna has less than nothing to see or do.

DON

Talkeetna is a beautiful little town. Quaint.

But Don is right. Only things at Talkeetna area are Denali flights, maybe the river rafting trip, and the two sled dog kennels.

Pick up free Jr Ranger packs for the older kids. It will give them something to work on during the shuttle ride.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm

http://www.nps.gov/webrangers/

We had a family with a 3yr old and 3 month old on our bus to Wonder Lake (they had an RV in Tek campground for 3 nites). The 3 yr old kept very busy with her kit.

They might have the kits at the Exit Glacier VC, and Begich Boggs VC in Portage.

If the younger kids don't go on the Kenai cruise, there is a kids playground about 2 blocks from the harbor near the camping area. And a really nice waterfront path that leads into town ( 1 1/2 miles). It's fun to watch the otters play in the Bay as you walk along the Path. The path ends near the SeaLife Center.

The Kenai cruise is awesome on a calm clear day. My advice is... if the office says the cruise MAY NOT leave the Bay due to rough seas, take the refund. Because it won't leave the Bay. They're in communication with the fishing boats so they know what the conditions are, but giving you hope gets their boat out and at least some revenue. I thought the Bay tour was a waste. I've fallen for that story twice and got stuck with a Bay tour.

Archived