Newbie here: Questions about family of 4 on Allure / questions about OBC!

Planning a winter cruise next January on Allure, 7 day West Carib.

Me, wife, two kids (son 12 and daughter 10).

We're looking for oceanview balcony- D1 category. Is it possible to get rooms with pop down bunks instead of sticking both kids on the sofa bed? Will these D1 rooms be comfortable for family of 4 (we get along very well!) Would love something bigger, but don't want to spend more than $5K before we're even onboard.

Is there any way to find out how filled a sailing is? We're pulling the kiddos out of school and would like a sailing that isn't packed to the max.

Also, how do you get OBC? Any tips to finding a travel agent who offers it? We are past Celebrity cruisers, but I'm guessing RC won't care about that.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Look at the deck plans...the bedding in each cabin is clearly shown via "symbols" on the deck plan. You can either have a sofa bed, 2 pullmans or 1 pullman and a sofa bed, in addition to the regular bed.

Don't worry about how full the ship is...they almost always sail at full capacity...and they are designed for that....no worries about being packed in!

Actually, depending what "status" you are on Celebrity, it may transfer to RCI...

Can't help with the TA and perks...we book directly through RCI.

Is there any way to find out how filled a sailing is?

You can do fake bookings on RCI site and see what it is showing in the categories. it willselect a cabin then offer to see more and show up to 15 more (16 total). If it is showing less then this in a lot of categories the ship is getting full and likely the cabin type you want is already unavailable. You can also try travel o city dot com and do fake booking all the way to the cabin selection level and see deck plans with exactly which cabins are available.

If it were me I'd call Royal Caribbean directly to help you look for cabins that accommodate 4 ( with 2 ) in Pullmans. Those cabins go very fast and there arent that many of them. It's a good thing your dates are flexible. You are less than a year out now, and you'll need some help looking for those 4 with double Pullman cabins. Also, I'm pretty certain there are no double Pullman 4 berth cabins in the. D 1 category, unless one is hiding somewhere, and not noted on the deck plans. Maybe someone can verify that.

Good luck!

Thank you- good to know.

Any advice on how to get an onboard credit? Seems like everyone finds them through a travel agent. I visited a (big chain) travel agent today and they did not offer me one.

Any suggestions on that?

Thank you- good to know.

Any advice on how to get an onboard credit? Seems like everyone finds them through a travel agent. I visited a (big chain) travel agent today and they did not offer me one.

Any suggestions on that?

Cruise Critic rules say we cannot recommend a travel agent here. The best I can say is keep checking online travel agents, including the ones that are here paying for advertising on CC. You'll find some that do offer it. They are out there.

On board credits are usually pretty small, more like a gesture. I would concentrate on finding a well priced cabin for your family that works for you.

Not always. I booked at the very end of 2011 and got nearly 12% of fare as OBC from a TA as part of their end of the year sale. Probably trying to hit a large bonus or something from RCCL. Frequently I'd see like $100 or something which isn't as good.

Archived