QV Butler Service

SavvyCruiserNJ

Has anyone had a butler on QV? What's it like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just returned from QV trip to Hawaii Feb 14. We had Jackie as a butler in our cabin. Very professional and always asked if we had any requests. She very nicely set up a reserved box for a show, when we ordered meals for breakfast and dinner she set up the service very nicely, asked if we wanted to have a get together to have friends in for coctails or snacks. She kept the cabin fantastically clean. There was an assistant butler Joel also who helped with the rest room clean up and cabin cleaning and seemed to be able to complete it without ever being seen.

I think their professionalism was great and they would do anything you needed to make your cruise a great experience.

The butler service is exactly what you make of it.

Don't expect to be in Jeeves and Wooster territory, but within reason your man or lady will be very accomodating. By the same token, if you are very self reliant then he/she will probably leave you to it most of the time.

There are things in the brochure (like help with unpacking) that will probably not be volunteered but if you want it, just ask. After all, they are looking after multiple cabins so would be crazy to volunteer for everything at busy times.

This is a regular topic for threads so just do a search for "QG butler" and you will see plenty of opinions and examples of the scope of things.

We took a bit of time before we arrived to think what we like. We made a little list of what we'd like to make life easier for our Butler to remember.

We had coffee and tea delivered at 7.30 each morning before we got up - it was set out on our table beautifully - white table cloth etc. We would enjoy a hot drink before we got up to go to breakfast.

We also had lemon and cherries delivered late afternoon so they were ready to pop into our g&ts before dinner. If we wanted nibbles instead of canapés we would just ask.

A few nights we had a small gathering for people and with a bit of notice we got extra nibbles and everything (glasses etc) set out for our guests. We always take a bit of extra fizz with us for these occasions.

We were a bit nervous at first about having a butler but the experience was very enjoyable and really helped made our holiday special.

My top tip would be to be clear about what you want - writing it down prevents misunderstandings or confusion. If you would like something in particular in your fridge, just ask or leave a note it will be taken care of. Your butler is easy to contact via phone and beeper system. Enjoy!

Having had "Butler" service twice on QM2 I have to say that whilst the two Butlers were very keen & pleasant, they worked within some rather restrictive service guidelines, and couldn't have used their initiative had they tried - I was forever running along to the Concierge to resolve issues.

Other cruise lines seem to train & empower their Butlers far more; both Oceania & Silversea Butlers use their initiative, negating any need for contact with concierges, front desks etc etc. Cunard's Butlers are little more than gimmicky, glorified cabin stewards IMHO & are lame attempt to add value to an over priced QG product.

My experience has been much different. On a 12-day Mediterranean last year, the butler couldn't have been more accommodating. On a Silversea Baltic cruise, I barely saw the butler. And for more than I've ever paid for a Queens Grill suite, the cabin on Silversea was much smaller and its layout uninspired. Also, I thought the food on Silversea was decidely inferior to QG.

Silversea had its good points too, but it's an entirely different type of cruise than a Cunard one.

Very interesting to read about QG grade comparison to Silversea. Having taken 12 cruises wish Cunard in the last 10 years (9 of which on QE2 & rest with QM2) and all of them bar 3 - Princess & Queens Grill grade, I've recently taken 2 cruises with Silversea and can say 100% the service & cuisine much higher than Queens Grill on any Cunard ship not withstanding the horrendous single supplement is no more & champagne is flowing on tap 24/7 with no bar bill at the end of the cruise! I will return to Cunard - ONLY when the single supplements have been revised - I am so surprised they have not yet been with recent tragedies & the Carnival brand suffering with a hit to Sales across all brands! Butler service on Silversea superb and the Cruise Directors - 10 x better than on Cunard!

Kind Regards,

Richard (RJMS74)

Just returned from QV trip to Hawaii Feb 14. We had Jackie as a butler in our cabin. Very professional and always asked if we had any requests. She very nicely set up a reserved box for a show, when we ordered meals for breakfast and dinner she set up the service very nicely, asked if we wanted to have a get together to have friends in for coctails or snacks. She kept the cabin fantastically clean. There was an assistant butler Joel also who helped with the rest room clean up and cabin cleaning and seemed to be able to complete it without ever being seen.

I think their professionalism was great and they would do anything you needed to make your cruise a great experience.

We were disapointed with our bulter on our last cruise on the QV he simply wasn't up to scratch. Cunard are definately not what they used to be. But I must be fair to the Queens Grill, the food and service was exemplary.

We were disapointed with our bulter on our last cruise on the QV he simply wasn't up to scratch. Cunard are definately not what they used to be. But I must be fair to the Queens Grill, the food and service was exemplary.

Sorry to hear that you butler was not so good. Ours kept us happy with treats, suggestions on dinner, offered to serve for get togethers with new friends on board we could invite to before dinner drinks.

I had the assistant butler even step out on the balcony and ask if I needed anything to drink or to eat while I was out there trying to get sun and read a book.

I am betting the length of time and training the butlers have relates to some of the service they offer and naturally just offer to provide.

Ours even offered to help with packing and unpacking but that I find a little too personal. I like packing and unpacking myself. :)

My experience has been much different. On a 12-day Mediterranean last year, the butler couldn't have been more accommodating. On a Silversea Baltic cruise, I barely saw the butler. And for more than I've ever paid for a Queens Grill suite, the cabin on Silversea was much smaller and its layout uninspired. Also, I thought the food on Silversea was decidely inferior to QG.

Silversea had its good points too, but it's an entirely different type of cruise than a Cunard one.

Sounds like our butler Lily. She was fantastic.

Archived