transatlantic - balcony or not? Crystal Serenity

calliopecruiser

I'm going to be booking a transatlantic cruise on Crystal for April 2013, and I'm considering cabin selections........I've been thinking a balcony might not be so important with a transatlantic cruise because of the variable weather - it might not be "lounging outside" weather very often. As well, the "basic" balcony cabin is the exactly the same as a window cabin, with the exception of the balcony (i.e. getting a balcony cabin on decks 8-10 offers no more indoor space than a window cabin).

I could technically afford upgrading to a PH cabin (70% more indoor space, but double the price tag), but I'd kind of rather save the money for another cruise or for the few days I'll be spending in Lisbon after the cruise.

Opinions? I'm a 51 year old woman traveling solo.

If you decide to get a balcony, make sure it is on the starboard side when sailing eastbound, as that will be the sunny side. Weather is never guaranteed, but my experience is that it is mild, 60's/70s but there will be a breeze. EM

Congraulations on cruising solo. it is somthing I would like to do. Finding a friend to cruise with can be a problem with schedules, vacation time etc..

If both rooms are the same size it comes down to the added expense to have a balcony that you might not use every day. There is always wonderful common space and outside deck areas for the days at sea when the weather is nice.

My suggestion is book the oceanview and spend your money on a wonderful hotel in Lisbon with a great terrace/balcony with a killer view.

Enjoy your planning and have a wonderful cruise.

I'm going to be booking a transatlantic cruise on Crystal for April 2013, and I'm considering cabin selections........I've been thinking a balcony might not be so important with a transatlantic cruise because of the variable weather - it might not be "lounging outside" weather very often. As well, the "basic" balcony cabin is the exactly the same as a window cabin, with the exception of the balcony (i.e. getting a balcony cabin on decks 8-10 offers no more indoor space than a window cabin).

I could technically afford upgrading to a PH cabin (70% more indoor space, but double the price tag), but I'd kind of rather save the money for another cruise or for the few days I'll be spending in Lisbon after the cruise.

Opinions? I'm a 51 year old woman traveling solo.

You raise good points but FWIW I'd want the option of lounging outside in my private space when weather and mood indicate. IME it's even been great leaving the sliding doors open when I was in the cabin proper.

Archived