Playa Palancar v. Nachi Cocom

newzandile

Here are my current thoughts, because we are also doing a dolphin swim we will only have about 4 hours at the beach.

Nachi Cocom - very highly recommended by close friends, looks beautiful, limited number of people, won't be crowded or noisy. Cons, no good snorkeling from beach, snorkeling boat trips look like they are a minimum of 2 hours which is more time than we want to spend when we only have 4 total. Also AI may not make sense with our limited time, and our kids will be with us so we aren't going to have more than 2 cocktails anyway.

Playa Palancar - free access, pay as you go, still secluded, still not crowded (at least I haven't found a review yet that said crowds were a problem). It sounds like the dive shop on site is more flexible and that we could do a boat snorkel for only an hour and that we could schedule it when we want as opposed to on set time tables like at nachi. Also I get the impression that the shore snorkeling is a bit better.

Nachi has prettier grounds but a nice place for all of us (a group of 7) to hang out where some can go snorkeling and some can hang on lounge chairs all day is really our only requirement. We don't want crowds or noise and don't care about water toys or swimming pools.

Any thoughts on my impressions of the two? Anyone been to both or have any strong thoughts one way or the other?

THANK YOU

If it was me, I would choose Playa. I have been to both, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed them a lot. But, overall preferred Playa. I would probably recommend Playa for your group. The AI price for Nachi will not be worth it if you are only interested in a couple drinks and the meal they serve (which IS delicious) and just 4 hours there. At Playa you can order wonderful food too, plus a couple drinks for a lot less then $50 per adult. I had a 12 and 14 yr. old with me two years ago and our total bill was around $30-$40. We wanted the same type of day your group is looking for and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves there. Granted, Playa doesn't have a nice swimming pool and hot tub like Nachi, but, we were more interested in swimming in the ocean.

At Playa, several people, including my daughter, were having fun shore snorkeling. A few people were coming up with Conch(sp?) shells. The reef was by far the better dive area, we were out for about 1 1/2 hours, but others were enjoying the shore.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived