Journey's August 9, 2012 Itinerary Update

Bill Leiber

Thank you for your reply - though not a welcome one.

The UK administration continues to under perform with seemingly no knowledge of the vagaries of the 50/% offer on shore excursions and the lack of customer access to on line cruise pricing in sterling. Azamara may gain from economies of scale of Royal Caribbean but at the cost of its reputation I fear.

I had maybe naively believed that the 50% offer was an early booking incentive so the concept of parity for those booking on board would appear perverse.

I also feel the cost of £157 GBP per person to visit the Guggenheim and enjoy a drink and tapas is extortionate compared to what would have been a complimentary shuttle to Bilbao centre and £6 GBP entry to the Guggenheim plus the cost of refreshments, if you had kept to the original itinerary. I do not know how much Azamara have had to pay for entry on the early morning but find the price of £72.50 GBP too much in the circumstances. The name Guggenheim features in the title of this cruise but in effect it is an expensive add on.

In the UK we would say that the Azamara management have 'added insult to injury' by these policy decisions. We have cruised with Azamara ten times and obviously enjoy the experience but our loyalty is being sorely tested.

Hello Britcruiser -

I can truly understand how the dynamics of the situation in which you find yourself would cause you to arrive at the state where you feel that your loyalty to Azamara after 10 cruises is being tested.

At its core of your feeling that Azamara has added "insult to injury" is the fact that the originally published itinerary on the August 9, Azamara Journey's "Bordeaux Wine & The Guggenheim" voyage was altered due to unexpected tidal changes in Bordeaux. Then it's compounded by an expensive, early-morning, private-tour of the Guggenheim Museum and your sudden recollection that you're still not able to book on line cruise pricing in sterling. Finally, I'm telling you that some tours on this voyage will not be eligible for the 50% Land Discovery Savings!

It's that "last" piece of information that I want to address with you and other readers. I suspect that I did not do a very good job articulating our reason for not offering the 50% savings with our unique evening programs; however, before I address that issue I want to reassure you and other readers, that we will continue to offer the 50% Land Discovery Savings with our published "Land Discoveries" shore excursions. Your belief "that the 50% offer was an early booking incentive so the concept of parity for those booking on board would appear perverse" was indeed correct. The program is an important component in our published savings program. Most importantly, encouraging guests to "book early" improves tour excursion planning and scheduling.

In order to enhance our claim about "Destination Immersion - Longer Stays, More Overnights and Night Touring" we have begun to accelerate the development of our night touring program. The specific tours which I mentioned are being offered as a "start" to create a meaningful collection of Signature Night Touring Opportunities for small groups of guests (10 to 40/50 persons) and have a cost structure reflecting smaller transportation equipment and more costly elements, e.g., 2-Star Michelin Restaurant. As such, the decision to participate will probably be a more "studied purchase" which implies that offering a "fixed" rate will be attractive to those who decide quickly or at the last-minute and ensure a sufficient number of guests to operate. Our current thinking is to price them with a modest mark-up and to treat them the same as we do for special events. Therefore, in the future, there will be two types of programs presented on our website - Land Discovery shore excursions and a soon to be announced Night Touring program, each with their own pricing mechanism. I hope that my explanation about the 50% savings explained how we envision delivering on our destination immersion promise.

I just re-read this thread titled, "Journey's August 9, 2012 Itinerary Update," which I started on March 14 and as of July 5, has generated 100 replies with the total "views" at 8,850 and concluded again, that the developments with this specific voyage has been a trying situation for those guest who booked prior to the itinerary revisions. I've noticed that the cost of the Guggenheim private tour has been a recurrent theme and unfortunately, I have no other explanation for its cost other than what I have previously stated in the last few weeks.

I'm anticipating an update about the UK website very shortly and I envision you and other rolling your eyes, since that is what I've been saying since the beginning of this year. There will be a separate post about that information when it's released.

I realize that you're conflicted with your loyalty to the Azamara experience we deliver onboard and your dissatisfaction with the August 9 itinerary and the inconsistencies you've experienced when seeking support from the UK office.

My hope is that your experience on this forthcoming August 9th voyage will revitalize your confidence in and reaffirm your loyalty to Azamara Club Cruises.

Respectfully,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Dear Bill,

I am pleased to see that the Douro Valley tour, although a shortened version, has been added. We have just booked the tour. It would have been a shame to have come so far to miss what is said to be such a special place.

Thank you for making it happen.

Settebello:)

Dear RZ06 and Rosequeen,

Happy Anniversary to both of you as well. We have lots of celebrating to do!! As you can see from my earlier post today, we have booked the ship's excursion to the Douro Valley not the private car. Hopefully you will join us!!

Settebello

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We too would like to view the Guggenheim later AM on the 17th August, but are not interested in the, very, early start tour. Where exactly does the ship dock? As far as we are concerned this is sadly merely a flying visit to Bilbao, and offers very little opportunity for sightseeing.

We too would like to view the Guggenheim later AM on the 17th August, but are not interested in the, very, early start tour. Where exactly does the ship dock? As far as we are concerned this is sadly merely a flying visit to Bilbao, and offers very little opportunity for sightseeing.

Aren't you leaving port really early?

Yes it leaves at 1200 midday.

I understand from earlier threads that the Gugg opens at 10am and is approx 45 mins from the ship. Doesn't seem like there's any other option other than the early tour if you want to have some time inside..........:confused:

Archived