Journey's August 9, 2012 Itinerary Update

Bill Leiber

Hello RZ06, Rosequeen, Louise P and other readers -

I want to let you know that at this time I'm unable to offer you the specific shuttle schedule for its operation between Pasajes and San Sebastian during the "Semana Grande” in San Sebastian. But at the same time, if you're interested, I'll share with you the reasons why I'm unable to do so, which I learned from the shore excursion team when they assisted me with a similar question related to another port-of-call.

Actually, there are many ship's operations variables to consider and because of that reason the shuttle buses are booked and scheduled by the ship and not in advance by shoreside operations. So when you read the statement - "Specific loading and unloading points will be detailed once onboard"- you'll understand why we included that statement.

Generally, we usually operate shuttle buses about 60-90 minutes after the ship has arrived in a port and/or after the tours have been dispatched. Our first priority is to assist the guests booked on tours and then to focus on the shuttle bus operation. If you have pre-determined individual arrangements, then you might want to consider using a car or taxi.

Shuttle buses are offered in places where the berth is located inconveniently to the nearest town and once there to a "central" place for all rather than a "particular" place because of the multitude of options that might be expected. Of course, the final schedule will include the pick-up and drop-off points.

And yes, this shuttle service is offered on a complimentary basis.

I hope that my explanation gives you a behind-the scenes glimpse into the planning and execution of the our complimentary shuttle service.

Thank you for your time and patience in reading this somewhat tedious explanation!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bill:

Would it be possible for Azamara to hire a van or small bus for passengers who would like to see only the outstanding architecture of the Guggenheim?

I was thinking of the drive over, spending about 40 minutes at the Museum for picture taking and admiring, and maybe a different route back to the ship.

What do you and your tour department think???

Thanks, Nancy

Hello Nancy -

I've asked our shore excursion planner about your request to create a "mini-like" tour to see and photograph the outstanding architecture of the Guggenheim Museum and based on his response, I believe we already are offering enough variety for guests to either go inside the Guggenheim or merely pass by for a photo opportunity or both.

Currently we offer three tours to the Guggenheim (on August 16 - two at night overland programs from Pasajes and on August 17 one early morning "private opening). Please note that one of the three tours I mentioned above, includes a stop in the evening to the Guggenheim Museum for a photo opportunity. That program begins in Pasajes and includes a dinner and walk through the medieval town of Hondarribia before the Museum photo stop. It's called "Biarritz and Hondarribia with Dinner" (Tour number OJ05).

Nancy, there comes the point of diminishing returns when we offer too many shore excursion options, especially to one site. We could fail to meet the minimums and those guests who booked in advance would be disappointed that we could not deliver what's promised. When we plan our tour offerings the goal is to create the best opportunities which will appeal to the widest range of guests.

For those interested in customized programs, we offer concierge services which can cater to those with specialized/individual interests. It costs a little more to provide this service but by having the guest(s) make those private arrangements themselves, there is no disappointment.

Also, you might be able to use a taxi to achieve your goal and I've noticed that the "roll call" for this voyage is very active as you consider other options.

Our itinerary planner, Claudius, mentioned that he has been to the museum several times and that he highly recommends seeing the inside. "Not because of the exhibits that can range from excellent to plain macabre, but the architecture on the inside is as stunning and interesting as the outside." Perhaps, something to consider?

Thank you for your patience during the information gathering process and my best wishes for a wonderful Azamara experience!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Whilst trying to book excursions for the 16th and 17th August on line - the prices do not have the 50% reduction applied to them. I have spoken to Azamara UK and the member of staff could offer no explanation despite checking with 'shore excursions' while I waited. Can you help?

Hello everyone -

I've been reading your new comments and suggestions over the last few days. Once I've reviewed them internally, I will let you know the final outcome.

Please stand-by and thank you for your continued patience.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I feel that the fee of $115.00 to visit the Guggenheim museum is very

over priced and the fact we have to do it at such an early time

the cruise line should reconsider the cost. Also what is their to see

in St Jean De Luz? Looks like just a small town you can walk through?

Any reason of historical interest to take a shore excursion here?

New York

[quote=szimme38;34187409]I would like to visit the Synagogue in Bordeaux, is it open to the public,

if so what hours and how close to the ship is it?

New York

I feel that the fee of $115.00 to visit the Guggenheim museum is very

over priced and the fact we have to do it at such an early time

the cruise line should reconsider the cost. Also what is their to see

in St Jean De Luz? Looks like just a small town you can walk through?

Any reason of historical interest to take a shore excursion here?

Hello Szimme38 -

You mentioned your desire to visit The Great Synagogue of Bordeaux, the largest in France. I've heard back from our shore excursion team and I'm unable to share any first-hand information from them with you. Unfortunately, the endless shore excursion and itinerary planning process does not allow them the time to research all of my random questions. Nevertheless, to get you started on your own research, I have visited the internet and found that it's located about 7 km (4.5miles) from the port where we'll be docked. I suggest that you read this article published on the website "Bonjour Paris" which summarizes a visitors impressions of the experience.

http://www.bonjourparis.com/story/bordeaux-and-its-great-synagogue/

I've not had the opportunity to visit Saint Jean de Luz, so it will be difficult for me to respond to your questions about the benefit of experiencing the shore excursions offered and specifically what there is to see and do. As we state on our website, "St. Jean de Luz, France is one of France’s most picturesque beach retreats. [it] is a prosperous Basque town best known for its architecture and cuisine. A prosperous fishing port, it grew rich in the 16th century from fishing and whaling, supplemented by piracy that was backed by the French king. In fact many of the handsome old houses in town were built on the proceeds. In the magnificent Church of St John the Baptist, with its fabulous baroque altar, the Sun King, Louis XIV King of France, married Marie-Therese of Spain in 1660."

I suggest that you consider the two hour "Saint Jean de Luz Walking Tour" which is explained in full on page 34 of the PDF shore excursion brochure for this voyage. Perhaps other readers will be able to share their expectations about Saint Jean de Luz on this thread and/or you may wish to visit the "Azamara Journey Roll Call" on Cruise Critic for this specific voyage, which has 100 replies at this point in time.

Finally, although you expressed your opinion that the cost seemed high for the early morning exclusive visit to the Guggenheim Museum on August 17, it's important to remember that each participant will have private access to the Museum and that it will "belong only to" the Azamara participants for two hours! Regardless of the start-time, there is a premium to obtain exclusivity and to ensure that the Museum is fully operational.

I hope this information will be helpful and my best wishes for a wonderful Azamara experience.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Your recent reply did not address my query (15 June) regarding the lack of the 50% offer for shore excursions on certain tours. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Not every excursion is eligible for 50% off - for example private events or events involving tickets to concerts. It might be useful if you could flag up which ones are having the issue as there was an IT glitch a few months ago on our cruise that newly added excursions did not have the discount and this was correct for some as concert tickets were involved but was due to an IT error (now corrected) for others

Your recent reply did not address my query (15 June) regarding the lack of the 50% offer for shore excursions on certain tours. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hello Britcruiser -

I'm sorry that I didn't advise you earlier that I'm still waiting for a response from our shore excursion team. I expect their reply very soon.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Dear Bill:

I hate to bring up a topic you've fully explained but last evening when reading Guggenheim outside reviews and learned that the senior rate for entry to the museum is 7.50 Euros, that many visitors stay all day in the museum, our voyage naming Guggenheim in the title, the very shortened stay that day in port, therefore the inconvenience of an early morning tour, the requirement of a 'private' hence expensive visit all tied together with a shorter museum stay than some may want all leads me to respectfully request an 'at cost' tour price for Azamara.

We all originally assumed the museum day would be a leisurely time off ship to study the acclaimed architecture and now the Hockley exhibit. We also all realize the Museum must now provide staff for non-opening hours and maybe even pay a bonus for the extra hours worked to accommodate Azamara, but then again, the passengers were the 'victims' of the original tide problem. Azamara aligned our itinerary differently and thus the visit to Bilbao was squeezed. Since it was no one's fault for the early morning private Guggenheim Museum Visit, perhaps we could split the cost between both Azamara and your passengers and do a 'at cost' tour price.

Realizing in advance, the more passengers choosing to take the tour, the lower the price will be for the passengers spreading the staffing and opening museum costs; filling buses also should lower the cost.

Nancy

Dear Bill:

I hate to bring up a topic you've fully explained but last evening when reading Guggenheim outside reviews and learned that the senior rate for entry to the museum is 7.50 Euros, that many visitors stay all day in the museum, our voyage naming Guggenheim in the title, the very shortened stay that day in port, therefore the inconvenience of an early morning tour, the requirement of a 'private' hence expensive visit all tied together with a shorter museum stay than some may want all leads me to respectfully request an 'at cost' tour price for Azamara.

We all originally assumed the museum day would be a leisurely time off ship to study the acclaimed architecture and now the Hockley exhibit. We also all realize the Museum must now provide staff for non-opening hours and maybe even pay a bonus for the extra hours worked to accommodate Azamara, but then again, the passengers were the 'victims' of the original tide problem. Azamara aligned our itinerary differently and thus the visit to Bilbao was squeezed. Since it was no one's fault for the early morning private Guggenheim Museum Visit, perhaps we could split the cost between both Azamara and your passengers and do a 'at cost' tour price.

Realizing in advance, the more passengers choosing to take the tour, the lower the price will be for the passengers spreading the staffing and opening museum costs; filling buses also should lower the cost.

Nancy

Hello Nancy -

I realize that the unexpected tidal changes in Bordeaux and its impact on the need to revise the originally published itinerary on this August 9 Azamara Journey voyage, "Bordeaux Wine & The Guggenheim" has been an ongoing challenge for those guests who had booked prior to the itinerary revision.

Although, with the exception of Belle Ile, the ports offered currently were all part of the original itinerary, albeit with modifications in port times, nevertheless it seems there are some lingering misgivings about the impact that the new itinerary schedule has had on reducing the available time to thoroughly experience the Guggenheim Museum - both inside and outside. As a result, for some, the "private and exclusive early morning opening of the Guggenheim" on August 17 and its $115 per person price tag has become, in my opinion, the focal point or cause célèbre for the impact that the Bordeaux tides caused to the order and schedule of the original itinerary.

Nancy, I admire your continued requests to find alternatives to visiting the Guggenheim such as Azamara hiring a van or creating a mini-tour. Most importantly, I appreciate that you felt comfortable on the Azamara forum to make your request that Azamara consider offering this private tour "at cost" in recognition of the chain of events. Actually, earlier in this itinerary narrative, "EastSideGuy" suggested on March 24 when commenting on the private Guggenheim tour, "that Azamara may want to eat some of the cost to make up for this schedule change..." I had passed on this original comment to our management team for their consideration which did not receive approval.

Although we're unable to fulfill this request, I believe that you will find that our shore excursion and itinerary planner have made a "best effort" to respond to most of your questions since this thread began in earnest this past March. Based on a request, they added another dimension to your experience when you're in Porto, Portugal. In addition to touring Oporto, they scheduled a 5.5 hour tour to the Duoro Valley along with a menu of private car and driver tours to a Duoro Winery. Of course, I will be sharing this conversation with our shore excursion management.

It's always a very difficult experience when the need arises to make an itinerary change, for whatever reason, for both our guests and ourselves. Nevertheless, it's one of the inescapable risks of the cruise product which explains why the industry is always sure to clearly state that itineraries are subject to change.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

we totally agree with Nancy, we think that Azamara should be helping

its passengers have the experience to visit the Guggenheim as the name

of the trip is; and not give us very few hours to see it, and very expensive

price for the early morning tour.

After reading this thread and responses from Bill, how can anyone be disappointed in the itinerary?

We are looking forward to the cruise and counting days.

I'm sure we won't be disappointed.

Bill, On August 12 we've booked the Margeaux Wine Tour departing at 8:30. In the current brochure, this tour is not listed. Is the tour still going?

Many thanks!

Hello Fudgbug -

Good news! The Margaux Wine Tour will operate in Bordeaux, France on August 12th at 8:30 AM as scheduled. Because this tour is currently sold-out, it no longer appears in the current tour summary brochure shown on our website.

For other guests who may have been considering purchasing this tour, the shore excursion team is checking with the operator to determine if additional space is available for this specific 8:30 AM tour option, or if another departure time can be arranged for August 12th. If successful, then the Margaux Wine Tour will appear once again on the website brochure.

My best wishes for a wonderful and fulfilling Azamara experience!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Britcruiser and Uktog -

First, I'm sorry for this delayed response to your questions: 1) whether the prices for certain shore excursions offered on August 16 and 17 were correct since they did not reflect the 50% Land Discovery Savings and, 2) if it would be possible to "flag" those excursions that were restricted from the savings. It took me more time than expected to gather the "facts" to answer you both and I appreciate your patience.

The tour pricing for this voyage has been reviewed and is correct and that the evening programs offered in Pasajes on August 16 are not combinable with the 50% savings. However, the tour "sell" prices offered on evening Tour Codes OJ04, OJ05 and OJ06 reflect only a nominal markup to ensure more attractive pricing to those potential participants might not know about these tours until after the 50% savings deadline or until they were onboard. The likelihood of selling these tours at "double-the-price" would be minimal. By offering a fixed price, we ensure "parity or equal" pricing for guests who decide to book our "night-tours" onboard.

My own speculation is that as more "signature" night-tours are introduced, it will be very possible they will be excluded from the 50% Land Discovery Savings and treated the same as tours including a flight and/or hotel, special ticketed events such as the Monaco Grand Prix, Rio Carnival, concerts and other ticketed performances. If the "going-rate" is the same for such unique nighttime experiences, the likelihood for more guest participation is greater.

As for the possibility of "flagging" those Land Discoveries which are not eligible for the 50% savings, we looked into this with Royal Caribbean's corporate shore excursion system unit, but the response was that "the system does not allow for a flag / notice to be placed by the tour." With respect to including such disclaimers into the existing tour copy itself will require more time due to scheduling timetables; however, we can do so as new tours are loaded into the system.

You might remember me mentioning that Royal Caribbean's three brands operate within the concept of "shared services" to realize cost advantages and economies of scale. That means that Azamara has its own dedicated operational and management staff; its own website and a dedicated itinerary planner and shore excursion manager; however, to operate Azamara we share the corporation's reservation system and the centralized shore excursion operating system with the other brands.

That situation explains why some of your Azamara requests are not immediate and why there are occasional system glitches where the 50% savings are not reflected properly in the system. Such times include when we do add a new tour or make an itinerary change and someone does not follow through by activating the 50% program to that revised voyage. These occasions do create confusion.

I'm sharing this information about our shore excursion platform to build your understanding of the situation as we make progress improving our navigation through the system to achieve greater flexibility.

I'm sorry for any frustrations that you have encountered and I'm confident about our future progress.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Britcruiser and Uktog -

First, I'm sorry for this delayed response to your questions: 1) whether the prices for certain shore excursions offered on August 16 and 17 were correct since they did not reflect the 50% Land Discovery Savings and, 2) if it would be possible to "flag" those excursions that were restricted from the savings. It took me more time than expected to gather the "facts" to answer you both and I appreciate your patience.

The tour pricing for this voyage has been reviewed and is correct and that the evening programs offered in Pasajes on August 16 are not combinable with the 50% savings. However, the tour "sell" prices offered on evening Tour Codes OJ04, OJ05 and OJ06 reflect only a nominal markup to ensure more attractive pricing to those potential participants might not know about these tours until after the 50% savings deadline or until they were onboard. The likelihood of selling these tours at "double-the-price" would be minimal. By offering a fixed price, we ensure "parity or equal" pricing for guests who decide to book our "night-tours" onboard.

My own speculation is that as more "signature" night-tours are introduced, it will be very possible they will be excluded from the 50% Land Discovery Savings and treated the same as tours including a flight and/or hotel, special ticketed events such as the Monaco Grand Prix, Rio Carnival, concerts and other ticketed performances. If the "going-rate" is the same for such unique nighttime experiences, the likelihood for more guest participation is greater.

As for the possibility of "flagging" those Land Discoveries which are not eligible for the 50% savings, we looked into this with Royal Caribbean's corporate shore excursion system unit, but the response was that "the system does not allow for a flag / notice to be placed by the tour." With respect to including such disclaimers into the existing tour copy itself will require more time due to scheduling timetables; however, we can do so as new tours are loaded into the system.

You might remember me mentioning that Royal Caribbean's three brands operate within the concept of "shared services" to realize cost advantages and economies of scale. That means that Azamara has its own dedicated operational and management staff; its own website and a dedicated itinerary planner and shore excursion manager; however, to operate Azamara we share the corporation's reservation system and the centralized shore excursion operating system with the other brands.

That situation explains why some of your Azamara requests are not immediate and why there are occasional system glitches where the 50% savings are not reflected properly in the system. Such times include when we do add a new tour or make an itinerary change and someone does not follow through by activating the 50% program to that revised voyage. These occasions do create confusion.

I'm sharing this information about our shore excursion platform to build your understanding of the situation as we make progress improving our navigation through the system to achieve greater flexibility.

I'm sorry for any frustrations that you have encountered and I'm confident about our future progress.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thank you for your reply - though not a welcome one.

The UK administration continues to under perform with seemingly no knowledge of the vagaries of the 50/% offer on shore excursions and the lack of customer access to on line cruise pricing in sterling. Azamara may gain from economies of scale of Royal Caribbean but at the cost of its reputation I fear.

I had maybe naively believed that the 50% offer was an early booking incentive so the concept of parity for those booking on board would appear perverse.

I also feel the cost of £157 GBP per person to visit the Guggenheim and enjoy a drink and tapas is extortionate compared to what would have been a complimentary shuttle to Bilbao centre and £6 GBP entry to the Guggenheim plus the cost of refreshments, if you had kept to the original itinerary. I do not know how much Azamara have had to pay for entry on the early morning but find the price of £72.50 GBP too much in the circumstances. The name Guggenheim features in the title of this cruise but in effect it is an expensive add on.

In the UK we would say that the Azamara management have 'added insult to injury' by these policy decisions. We have cruised with Azamara ten times and obviously enjoy the experience but our loyalty is being sorely tested.

Well said Britcruiser

I also have enjoyed the Azamara onboard experience several times.Having enjoyed Regent for the past few cruises I was really looking forward to the original itinerary with Azamara, but no longer.

I have 2 cruises booked for 2013 neither with Azamara...........................

Archived