Yukon--Whitewater rafting near Skagway?

cactuscruiser

Murray, At the start page of skagway.org, it shows an awesome picture of a whitewater raft. The caption reads "Final Rinse." Where is this??? I see float trips but not real whitewater. My DH would love to do that if he can find it. Can you steer us where to look? Thanks. Debbi in the desert

Interesting photo, but misleading in the extreme, because there are no tours out of Skagway that do that. I expect that the picture was taken on the Tutshi River north of Skagway, but due to unpredictable water conditions, tours are only done there for a few days a year, by a company out of Whitehorse. As you've seen, a couple of gentle floats are all that's regularly offered in Skagway.

Murray

I haven't hiked the AB Mountain Trail (I just never get tired of Upper Dewey & the Punchbowl). But here's a description of AB:

"A.B. Mountain Trail (4.8 miles, 5,000' gain)—Plan for a long, strenuous day to earn the stellar views from this ridge summit on the spur between the Taiya and Skagway Rivers. Some good views lower down. Cross the airstrip and footbridge at the west end of 1st Avenue. Trail follows ridgecrest from bend in Dyea Road. RT—8–10 hrs."

I haven't hiked the AB Mountain Trail (I just never get tired of Upper Dewey & the Punchbowl). But here's a description of AB:

"A.B. Mountain Trail (4.8 miles, 5,000' gain)—Plan for a long, strenuous day to earn the stellar views from this ridge summit on the spur between the Taiya and Skagway Rivers. Some good views lower down. Cross the airstrip and footbridge at the west end of 1st Avenue. Trail follows ridgecrest from bend in Dyea Road. RT—8–10 hrs."

Sounds like I should give HIM the camera for that hike! Great info. We'll see if he wants to tie up that much of the day. I think I'll go back to my plan of splitting the day between Haines and Skagway. We've been to Skagway 8 times before, Haines three times and we did "your" drive up to Emerald Lake last year. Like to try something new each year - the idea of the Hammer Museum in Haines just tickles my funny bone. :)

Just remember that the weather in Skagway can be unpredictable. If it is raining or foggy, the AB hike might not be such a good idea. People have gotten off trails and gotten lost. Be flexible with your plans.

Archived