Carnival, please control your CREW!!!!!

Girlsnightout

OK. So you're saying that you are someone, or know someone, that pays a full time salary and lodging for a personal servant, and that same person has cruised on Carnival on the very bottom deck without even a balcony? Whether that is true or not, it's hilarious. But, me thinks thou art pulling my chain.

That's exactly what I am saying. Read into it what you want, but you can't judge how wealthy one is by their cabin choice.

I'm not sure what this means. I make no asumptions about other people. I just know that if I could afford to pay someone to change my kid's diapers, I'd shell out the extra $100 for the balcony.

I know someone who could buy the entire ship, yet when he cruised with his wife (and Alaskan cruise), they had an inside cabin at the bottom of the ship.

There are plenty of people out there that grew up low-middle class, but by hard work, they managed to make a very good living... many of them still live as if they didn't have much, they don't know how to act otherwise, and they are the most down to earth people!!! Many people don't let money go to their heads and still like saving a few bucks... There are many reasons for it, but just because someone doesn't book a balcony is in no way indicitive of how they live their lives or how much money they have, it's all about personal preference... For me, when I've got millions, I don't think I'll be booking an inside cabin :D

There are plenty of people out there that grew up low-middle class, but by hard work, they managed to make a very good living... many of them still live as if they didn't have much, they don't know how to act otherwise, and they are the most down to earth people!!! Many people don't let money go to their heads and still like saving a few bucks... There are many reasons for it, but just because someone doesn't book a balcony is in no way indicitive of how they live their lives or how much money they have, it's all about personal preference... For me, when I've got millions, I don't think I'll be booking an inside cabin :D
I'm not sure I equate class with bank balance. My parents were on the lower side of the economic scale, but were classy people. My hope is that someday my peers will accord me the same respect that my parents peers did them!

I can't imagine too many people with a live-in servant would be sailing on Carnival. And if they did, they probably wouldn't have a cabin on the Riviera deck. Congratulations on your windfall.

I really tried but I cannot find any mention of balconies in this statement.:confused:

FYI, The Riviera deck amid-ship is really the best place for anyone that may suffer from motion sickness.

"Servant" is a demeaning term to use for those that may help in your home or with your children. Just my opinion of course.:)

I'm not sure what this means. I make no asumptions about other people. I just know that if I could afford to pay someone to change my kid's diapers, I'd shell out the extra $100 for the balcony.

I am truly sorry but you are making an assumption in that those "that have" would pay more for something just because they could.

For sheer curiosity, without any agenda whatsoever past simply wanting to know - do you know why the person who could charter the ship instead chose an inside cabin? Anonymity? Privacy? Frugality? Darkness fetish?

Thanks, :)

Friday

I'm not sure I equate class with bank balance. My parents were on the lower side of the economic scale, but were classy people. My hope is that someday my peers will accord me the same respect that my parents peers did them!

I was not referring to "class" as in classy... Sorry you misunderstood... I was referring to socioeconomic class... as in,

A social stratum whose members share certain economic, social, or cultural characteristics: the lower-income classes.

Which has nothing to do with a person having or not having class. I agree, a bank balance has nothing to do with a person having class....

For sheer curiosity, without any agenda whatsoever past simply wanting to know - do you know why the person who could charter the ship instead chose an inside cabin? Anonymity? Privacy? Frugality? Darkness fetish?

Friday

Sometimes people do things like that because they simply remember where they came from.

Sometimes people do things like that because they simply remember where they came from.

Exactly! Most that I know wouldn't WANT to be treated as if they have money... money doesn't change everyone, a person that grew up with humble surroundings is not necessarily going to completely change their lifestyle when they have money, it is uncomfortable to them... People do things for many reasons... not everyone that has a great deal of money, wears it on their "sleeve" :D

Exactly! Most that I know wouldn't WANT to be treated as if they have money... money doesn't change everyone, a person that grew up with humble surroundings is not necessarily going to completely change their lifestyle when they have money, it is uncomfortable to them... People do things for many reasons... not everyone that has a great deal of money, wears it on their "sleeve" :D

Have you noticed that everyone looks the same on the Lido with their shorts, t-shirts and foo-foo drinks in-hand ??:D

Have you noticed that everyone looks the same on the Lido with their shorts, t-shirts and foo-foo drinks in-hand ??:D

Isn't that funny how that works? And you know what Dan? I would bet money that they all put their pants on the same way ;)

That's just sad. What's he saving it for? My Dad was like that, died a millionaire and wore ratty blue jeans and drove a 20 year old pickup truck.

I don't know what he's saving it for (his children, I guess). I'm not saying I would do it that way, but some people do. I personally wouldn't cruise without having a balcony, but that's just me. For the Alaskan cruise, I tried to talk them into getting a balcony because of the incredible views, but they didn't want any part of it.

Friday

There's was frugality. I'm afraid of the dark, so I wouldn't go anywhere near an inside cabin.

I don't equate class with bank balance, either. My MIL has quite a bit of money, but she's common as pig tracks when it comes to her behavior. She equates class with money. Watching her in action is quite entertaining, though. It's similar to a train about to derail...and equally as hard to turn away from.

I have often booked a cabin on the Riveria Deck, mid- ship as I suffer from sea sickness. It's the best place on the ship for this. I've always had good experiences and it's usually nice and quiet. Not to mention all the steps we walk....so we can eat more!!!!!

I can't imagine too many people with a live-in servant would be sailing on Carnival. And if they did, they probably wouldn't have a cabin on the Riviera deck. Congratulations on your windfall.

You can't? I can ;) . Oh, and I don't believe anyone has used the term "servant" in decades. I would call it live-in help, and many, many people I know employ live-in help.

Oh and it isn't a windfall, it's a creditand a discount, and it only gets used if I cruise Carnival again.

Friday

Maybe they take lots of family members on a cruise and pay for them, maybe they don't see the value in an outside cabin because they're never in it, maybe they also rent a villa in Tuscany, a house in Nantucket, and take several other trips throughout the year as well, maybe they also pay for private schools and expensive colleges to the tune of over $100K a year, maybe their country club membership is 50K a year, maybe they don't need to impress anyone....Look, anyone with multimillions or billions will probably not cruise an inside cabin (but maybe they would), but a good many affluent people will. A lot of people who have money don't need to flaunt it.

I know people living in multimillion dollar homes who sail in inside cabins while their mailmen cruise in a balcony suite. That just might be why they're living in multimillion dollar homes;) .

You can't? I can ;) . Oh, and I don't believe anyone has used the term "servant" in decades. I would call it live-in help, and many, many people I know employ live-in help.

Oh and it isn't a windfall, it's a creditand a discount, and it only gets used if I cruise Carnival again.

We are miles off topic here (as much my fault as anyone else) and everyone wants to get the last word in. This will be MY last word, partly because I'm leaving on a cruise tomorrow, and also because I'm getting a little bored with all this. I didn't realize "servant" was a derogatory term. If it makes you feel better to call them live-in help, nannies, personal assistants, domestic technician, or substitute mommies. And I deeply apologize to anyone who works in those professions who was offended. My intent is never to offend anyone. I am truly sorry you had a bad time. I meant it when I said that on my very first response to this thread. You and I will just have to agree to disagree on how big of a deal it was. If I can come back from my cruise and look at the big picture and say, "I had a great time", then Carnival owes me nothing. Heck, I almost feel guilty for all I get for less than $100 a day. Now, if Carnival was grossly negligent in some way, causing injury to me or my loved ones, or if that crew party went on every night and they did nothing to stop it, I'd be the first one writing letters. That's just my opinion, and not a very popular one I guess. Happy Cruising:)

Archived