Street crime in Barcelona - why it's so prevalent, and affects tourists the most

peteukmcr

Barcelona does indeed sound like a unique case. We were there briefly a few years ago to embark on a cruise and stayed at a Hilton hotel on the north side of the city. The staff at the hotel strongly advised us not to walk around the area at night. I'm not sure it can be any worse than Johannesburg, where we had armed guards at our hotel and bulletproof windows in our bus, or Naples, when we were there on a land tour and walked through the city streets to a museum - our guide advised us to leave ALL jewelry in the safe at the hotel, including wedding rings.

I posted the earlier thread about Pacsafe bags. I still feel confident in their design but will probably bring the undergarment safes on this trip.

What do most men do? Not carry a wallet at all? My husband usually puts it in his front pocket when in Rome, Paris etc. but I can see from this thread that is not safe either. I usually carry my bag in front and actually "hug " it to me. It usually contains our water, umbrella, jackets, camera etc. for the day and the little money in there is zippered inside. I saw a pouch that you wear on your lower leg--wonder about that.

What do most men do? Not carry a wallet at all? My husband usually puts it in his front pocket when in Rome, Paris etc. but I can see from this thread that is not safe either. I usually carry my bag in front and actually "hug " it to me. It usually contains our water, umbrella, jackets, camera etc. for the day and the little money in there is zippered inside. I saw a pouch that you wear on your lower leg--wonder about that.
That's correct, I don't carry a wallet.

Just carry enough cash for whatever we are doing and a T10 travel ticket for the metro and hotel room key, that's it.

I think the best thing you can do to protect yourself is to be very aware of the possibilities, and be hypervigilant to protect yourself. As I said before, I don't want to be paranoid, but I do intend to take precautions to avoid being victimized by a thief.

Reading up on the kinds of scams they run is helpful, I think. For example, I only recently heard of the bird poop scam that was described by Arubamoose. Who would have thought of that?? Now I know.

There's a helpful video that describes some of the scams and how to avoid them. CC won't let me post a link, but you can try googling Ron in Rome and then poke around his website. I found a page on his site under the "traveling in Europe" section that talks about pickpockets in length. This webpage has good info, and at the very bottom is a video (I think it may be several years old, but still helpful). You could also look on Youtube for Bob Arno videos. He's got great tips.

You know the old saying, knowledge is power. The better informed you are, the better you'll be able to foil the thieves.

That's correct, I don't carry a wallet.

Just carry enough cash for whatever we are doing and a T10 travel ticket for the metro and hotel room key, that's it.

Pete, you don't carry any form of ID? Has that ever been a problem?

Reading up on the kinds of scams they run is helpful, I think. For example, I only recently heard of the bird poop scam that was described by Arubamoose. Who would have thought of that?? Now I know.

This is an old trick that has been used for quite a while.

Pete, you don't carry any form of ID? Has that ever been a problem?
No, never carry ID, never been asked for it.

My husband and I walked all over Barcelona for four days, up and down La Rambla, Bari Gotic, El Born, etc. We never had any problem, even at night, though we were careful. I left all my good jewelry at home. We didn't carry a lot of cash, and only one credit card each. We left the passports locked in the safe at the hotel. My husband kept his wallet in his front pocket, and kept his hand in his pocket with his hand around the wallet. This is not foolproof, as some of the posts have noted. But it helps. I think the main thing is, be aware of your surroundings. Don't trust random strangers who want to "help." As Americans, we tend to be open to approaches from strangers, and the crooks will exploit this. Don't flash expensive jewelry or luxury items. Don't wander down deserted streets in the dark. Don't set your bag or wallet down, even for a moment. But also--don't be afraid to go. Barcelona is an awesome city. It's beautiful. Use common sense, but enjoy yourself. They have a problem with street crime, so don't take anything you can't afford to lose. There's no guarantee you won't have a problem, and it's a pain when it happens. But the odds are, you'll be okay. Enjoy yourself.

Edited by jinda0929

My box of Pacsafe items is being delivered today. I a photographer, so I have purchased a Pacsafe Camsafe Bag, my husband a Pacsafe wallet (the one with the chain) and I purchased a Slingsafe small purse to have something to throw my sunglasses, chapstick, etc in while we are roaming about.

I understand Naples can be just as bad.

Thank you so much for all of this information. My upcoming cruise will be my very first trip to Europe ever, and as a girl who grew up in a very small town, I have been really worrying about pickpocketing and petty crime. I feel like now I am prepared (I've made myself aware of the popular scams and I know what to watch out for). That Bob Arno video is great because you can actually SEE the thieves in action.

Now I know I will travel safe, keep my guard up, and will not carry anything I can't afford to lose when I'm out walking around the city and taking public transportation.

I did buy a small PacSafe day bag to take on long excursions (again, I'm not going to put anything of value in there, just maps and what-not) and a plain, fake wedding band (I'm leaving my jewelry at home). I also have a moneybelt as a back-up.

I also bought these crazy Stash It Ware pocket underwear (I figure I can keep my cash down there because, Lord knows, I will KNOW if somebody is reaching their hands down my underpants). If you haven't heard of them, check them out (just search for stash it ware). They have undies for men and women.

Edited by moviegal

In Spain it is a legal requirement to carry some form of identification - this can be your passport or another form of photographic ID.

http://www.treatmentinspain.com/visitors/before-travel/

Thanks for the link, given all the info others has posted here i.e. not needing any form of ID while sightseeing in Barcelona. I wonder if they would except a photocopy of a passport while leaving the original secured in the hotel safe??

Cause given all the previous incidents I am now planning on not carrying anything more than I need too.

Thank you so much for all of this information. My upcoming cruise will be my very first trip to Europe ever, and as a girl who grew up in a very small town, I have been really worrying about pickpocketing and petty crime. I feel like now I am prepared (I've made myself aware of the popular scams and I know what to watch out for). That Bob Arno video is great because you can actually SEE the thieves in action.

Now I know I will travel safe, keep my guard up, and will not carry anything I can't afford to lose when I'm out walking around the city and taking public transportation.

I did buy a small PacSafe day bag to take on long excursions (again, I'm not going to put anything of value in there, just maps and what-not) and a plain, fake wedding band (I'm leaving my jewelry at home). I also have a moneybelt as a back-up.

I also bought these crazy Stash It Ware pocket underwear (I figure I can keep my cash down there because, Lord knows, I will KNOW if somebody is reaching their hands down my underpants). If you haven't heard of them, check them out (just search for sta****ware). They have undies for men and women.

LMAO this cracked me up as I had made the comment a few posts back about stashing it in my undies, glad to see I'm not the only crazy one and they make underpants for this reason...lol I will for sure check out that sight.

Thanks for the link, given all the info others has posted here i.e. not needing any form of ID while sightseeing in Barcelona. I wonder if they would except a photocopy of a passport while leaving the original secured in the hotel safe??

Cause given all the previous incidents I am now planning on not carrying anything more than I need too.

Not sure if they will accept a photocopy of a passport, so may consider it.

However, all I can say is that in all the times I have visited Spain (and it is many, the earliest in 1978) I have never been asked by an official for photo ID except for when trying to make a purchase at a theme park with a credit card!

I know there's always a first time, and understand the requirement, but I'll take my chance. I think the likely hood of being stopped by an official whilst visiting the sites of Barcelona are slim.

I am not advising against following the rules, but there is no way on this earth I am taking my passport out of the hotel safe until I board a ship. JMHO. My driving licence will be in my safe at home as I do not need it whilst in Barcelona.

Edited by peteukmcr

Not sure if they will accept a photocopy of a passport, so may consider it.

However, all I can say is that in all the times I have visited Spain (and it is many, the earliest in 1978) I have never been asked by an official for photo ID except for when trying to make a purchase at a theme park with a credit card!

I know there's always a first time, and understand the requirement, but I'll take my chance. I think the likely hood of being stopped by an official whilst visiting the sites of Barcelona are slim.

I am not advising against following the rules, but there is no way on this earth I am taking my passport out of the hotel safe until I board a ship. JMHO. My driving licence will be in my safe at home as I do not need it whilst in Barcelona.

I totally agree with no way on this earth I am taking my passport out of the hotel safe until I board a ship.

I wonder why that link states you do have to carry id when would you be asked for it, checking into the hotel? Renting a car/scooter? I can't imagine an official walking up to you on the street and asking to see your id? That would stick right out as a huge red flag if that happened to m me anyway.

I can't think of anywhere I am going to need it in Barcelona. once checked onto the ship and again for the hotel.

Now I know for the Coliseum in Rome they want to see the CC tickets were purchased with.

I always carry my driving license as ID, no big deal if you are unlucky enough to lose it, we have had a home in Santa Ponsa Mallorca since 1992 and have indeed been asked for ID numerous times over the years when making purchases with credit cards or paying parking fines :eek:

Also been in Barcelona and Sitges lots of times and touch wood never been a victim of Street Crime.

Yikes!

On a long Med cruise the only time we had trouble was in front of La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, when an old lady tried my husband's back pocket (nothing but kleenex there). Standard situation: lots of people, lots of distractions.

I appreciate the under-the-clothes or in-the-undies approach, but my question is: how do you get what you need out of those hiding places without the "wrong" person seeing where you have stashed the important stuff?

Thanks for any experiences!

Yikes!

On a long Med cruise the only time we had trouble was in front of La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, when an old lady tried my husband's back pocket (nothing but kleenex there). Standard situation: lots of people, lots of distractions.

I appreciate the under-the-clothes or in-the-undies approach, but my question is: how do you get what you need out of those hiding places without the "wrong" person seeing where you have stashed the important stuff?

Thanks for any experiences!

Pretend you have an itch?? LOL go to the washroom and get the Euros you need. Not sure I was wondering the same thing as I look at the stash underpants online. 8 bucks a pair (US) but doesn't look like they ship to Canada

Moviegal any hints??

Edited by CruisingMouse

Wow, thanks for the tips. I am rethinking a few things. We were going to have a short tour to Sagrada Familia before our airport transfer in Barcelona but now we are not. We are going straight to the airport from the ship. I guess now we will just get a taxi that day by standing in line for one. Just hoping there are taxi vans for 7 so we can all ride together:confused:

I have a few questions about those slash proof purses/bags. I see a few options at Magellans I have been wanting to purchase one for a while now but I keep thinking this, "If they try to cut it, meaning they will have a knife very close to my body, and can't cut it, will that knife/cutter slip and cut me or will it anger them?

Also, for any Med. ports, I am wondering if children are fair game? I don't plan on having my kids carry valuables but we have 5 kids and my two sons usually do carry a backpack with water and snacks. If it were to get ripped off of them, I think it would be very upsetting to them. My sons are 13 and 17. My girls (10-14) also carry little purses with nothing of real value in it. Should I not let them? Also, I am now assuming it is best not to let kids carry Iphones with them. They were planning on it so that they could use it for a camera. This may be a stupid question, one that can't really be answered but I will try - What is of most value to them - Iphone, camera, jewerly? I know money and credit cards! Should I not let me kids carry anything? Just having a purse snatched, with nothing much in it, would be the worse part for them.

Thanks. I am also going to go check out those Youtube videos.

Edited by World Gallery

Wow, thanks for the tips. I am rethinking a few things. We were going to have a short tour to Sagrada Familia before our airport transfer in Barcelona but now we are not. We are going straight to the airport from the ship. I guess now we will just get a taxi that day by standing in line for one. Just hoping there are taxi vans for 7 so we can all ride together:confused:

Wow, I'd hate to think you would miss seeing this city because of concerns about pickpockets. :(

We have actually planned extra time in Barcelona, 2 days before our cruise and one day after, just because it sounds like such a fabulous place to visit. Yes, they have a reputation for pickpockets, but I think that educating yourself and being aware of what can happen will keep you safe. It would be such a shame to not experience it at all.

Every time I get in my car, I know that a crazy driver could cause an accident -- but that doesn't make me stay home! Please reconsider your plan. If you have the time to spare, then I'd encourage you to take advantage of it and experience as much as you can. Just be aware of your surroundings and keep your belongings safe.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. How thrilling for your kids -- this is the trip of a lifetime for me, I can't imagine how exciting it would have been to do it when I was that young. :)

Becky

I have a few questions about those slash proof purses/bags. I see a few options at Magellans I have been wanting to purchase one for a while now but I keep thinking this, "If they try to cut it, meaning they will have a knife very close to my body, and can't cut it, will that knife/cutter slip and cut me or will it anger them?

Also, for any Med. ports, I am wondering if children are fair game? I don't plan on having my kids carry valuables but we have 5 kids and my two sons usually do carry a backpack with water and snacks. If it were to get ripped off of them, I think it would be very upsetting to them. My sons are 13 and 17. My girls (10-14) also carry little purses with nothing of real value in it. Should I not let them? Also, I am now assuming it is best not to let kids carry Iphones with them. They were planning on it so that they could use it for a camera. This may be a stupid question, one that can't really be answered but I will try - What is of most value to them - Iphone, camera, jewerly? I know money and credit cards! Should I not let me kids carry anything? Just having a purse snatched, with nothing much in it, would be the worse part for them.

Thanks. I am also going to go check out those Youtube videos.

Very sensible going straight to airport, most important is your passport& doc,s

I witnessed a Danish couple have there bag snatched prior to their flight that day. Sept 2011

Remember, the airport check in area is a big target area for these thieves.

yes there vans/ taxis @ the pier that will take 7,

Edited by Missus Makkem

Very sensible going straight to airport, most important is your passport& doc,s

I witnessed a Danish couple have there bag snatched prior to their flight that day. Sept 2011

Remember, the airport check in area is a big target area for these thieves.

yes there vans/ taxis @ the pier that will take 7,

For us, losing our documents would be a major disaster because we are flying to Copenhagen for a Baltic cruise. That was the main reason I came to this decision. If we lost our things and had to stay in Barcelona a few days to get a flight, that would be one thing but missing the other half of our trip would not be fun! For me, even though I know the chances are not in our favor to have something happen, it is not worth it.

Glad to hear there are vans that will hold 7. I guess we could consider playing it by ear and having our taxi driver drive us to the Sagrada Familia if we had time. My husband and I could then take turns getting out of the taxi while the other stayed in the taxi with the stuff. We could split up the kids, him taking the girls and me taking the boys to walk around the church. Anyone ever made an "out of the way" stop before going to the airport?

Edited by World Gallery

For us, losing our documents would be a major disaster because we are flying to Copenhagen for a Baltic cruise. That was the main reason I came to this decision. If we lost our things and had to stay in Barcelona a few days to get a flight, that would be one thing but missing the other half of our trip would not be fun! For me, even though I know the chances are not in our favor to have something happen, it is not worth it.

Glad to hear there are vans that will hold 7. I guess we could consider playing it by ear and having our taxi driver drive us to the Sagrada Familia if we had time. My husband and I could then take turns getting out of the taxi while the other stayed in the taxi with the stuff. We could split up the kids, him taking the girls and me taking the boys to walk around the church. Anyone ever made an "out of the way" stop before going to the airport?

The Familia is not out of your way to Airport,taxi could park opposite while you take a viewing, but ask for fare before leaving the pier?

The Familia is not out of your way to Airport,taxi could park opposite while you take a viewing, but ask for fare before leaving the pier?

Did you mean it is or is not out of the way? I am not sure I am reading this correctly. Yes, I was going to ask about the fare. Hoping it is not too much more. I think I am more comfortable doing it this way, meaning, just playing it be ear since it seems hard to predict an exact time that we can meet a driver.

Please don't let fear keep you from seeing interesting places. We had heard all the terrible things that could happen in Barcelona, but didn't let that stop us. Seeing Sagrada Familia is one of life's WOW! moments. Asking the taxi driver to take you there on the way to the airport is a good idea. See if you can get a driver that speaks English. You could also arrange a transfer with one of the tour companies to make sure you get an English speaking driver who could point out a few interesting things along the way.

BTW, I carry the same purse traveling as I do at home. It has a short handle that puts the purse between arm and body. I use zipper compartments instead of a wallet, and don't carry money, credit cards, and passport in the same place. Some things go in pockets, some in money belt, some in purse zipper compartments. We split funds between us, don't wear jewelry, other than inexpensive watches and wedding rings, and we watch out for each other. Have the address and phone number of the embassies or consulates of the countries you visit with you in case you encounter a problem. Do you have travel insurance?

I hope you enjoy your trip.