Meds to prevent Sea Sickness

Popcorn12

I, too, am prone to sea sickness but I LOVE to cruise and have cruised many, many times (starting when I was 7 years old)! I always take a travel supply of Dramamine for those rough sea days (it works just fine for me).

I also swear by the medicine-free Sea Bands: http://www.sea-band.com/ They are little bands with pressure points that you wear on your wrists during your cruise. They are a little uncomfortable at first, but you'll quickly get used to them. I wear them on every sailing and I don't know why they work, but they do! You can buy them online or at Wal-Mart for around $10 a pair. If you wait to buy them in your ship's gift shop, they sometimes charge double that price!

Give me some of the best meds or tips on handling or preventing seasickness.

My favorite med to ward off sea sickness is shots of Southern Comfort, administered regularly, for the duration of the cruise. Fortunately I don't have a sea sickness problem, maybe it's all that Southern Comfort?!

As you can see, people have different remedies that work for them. You need to try some different types on land on yourself to see what doesn't give you side effects. Then take a few with you on your cruise.

Personally, some OTC types make me drowsy (once a doctor prescribed a non-sedative allergy med for me that put me to sleep every time). So I decided to try candied ginger (found in my grocery store) and ginger-flavored Altoids (now harder to find, used to be found at Walmart and Target, but may still be at Cost Plus). Also ginger chews.

My mother, who gets motion sickness even quicker than I do, got a prescription for the patch before her only cruise. She said it worked like a charm.

A couple of cruises ago, one of our tablemates wore the wristband.

I've heard you should avoid ginger if you're on blood thinners. Probably a good idea to talk to your doctor if you are on any medication.

Archived