Rethinking our Seattle Roundtrip choice in favor of Southbound

JPesq

After reading a lot of the boards and the Alaska Cruise Handbook, I'm starting to wonder if we should have booked Southbound Seward to Vancouver on Zaandam rather than Seattle Roundtrip on Westerdam. The price comes out virtually the same, it seems. Thoughts?

Of course. It really does come out virtually the same price because the Seattle Roundtrip on HAL we booked was more expensive, for whatever reason. I guess what I'm asking is, cost aside, would others recommend that we switch? I don't even know how easy it is to switch cruises on HAL (or any other line for that matter). Southbound goes to Glacier Bay, Haines, Juneau, Ketchikan, Vancouver. Roundtrip does Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria. This is for a late may cruise, if that matters in this equation.

If you can spare extra time in AK prior to your southbound, then I'd definitely recommend switching. Since you're already there, why not add on another 3 days or more if possible - to tour Denali or the Kenai? If not, its kind of pointless. You may have rough seas sailing RT Seattle (or you may not...we've only experienced one incident of rough seas out of four trips to AK - just never know), and will be less scenic sailing to the west of Vancouver Island. Other than that, don't overthink it. Do what works for you.

I also suggest, if you consider a one way, add as many days as you can afford, and take advantage of interior Alaska touring. Denali Park is ideal with a northbound, later May cruise. The Kenai Peninsula is a highlight, so is Prince William Sound, so is everywhere else. :)

Is it this May?? If so, you are going to have to move with your plans, now. IF next year, the wait it out for a while and keep doing your homework. Easy to double book, this early as well.

This May, yes.

For us, time is very limited because of work so adding extra days isn't an option this time.

So without the extra days to tour the interior, no point in changing itineraries?

I appreciate all of the advice from experienced Alaska cruisers! I know how much time answering these questions must require!

This May, yes.

For us, time is very limited because of work so adding extra days isn't an option this time.

So without the extra days to tour the interior, no point in changing itineraries?

I appreciate all of the advice from experienced Alaska cruisers! I know how much time answering these questions must require!

Is there a difference in actual port time?

I am also questioning our upcoming RT Seattle cruise to Alaska. The fact that bothers me is how short the time is in ports. We will only be in Ketchikan for 5 hours. In Victoria only 4 hours!

The RT from Seattle dates works for our family this year but I am disappointed with the VERY LIMITED time in ports.

In 2006 when we did the cruise tour, Southbound, we had much longer times in port.

My research led me to book a southbound Alaskan cruise from Anchorage (Whittier) to Vancouver with a few days of independent land touring prior to the cruise, rather than a round trip out of Seattle for sure.

With no time for interior touring, I'd stay with the round-trip and visit Sitka. It was my favorite port of our first cruise. It is so filled with Russian and US History, and not as commercialized YET like so many of the other ports. I haven't been to Haines, but I don't think it can touch Sitka. The first thing you see as you are tendering in is a huge building that looks like an apartment building or hospital. It was built for the original homeless Pioneers, and it is still an assisted living residence for pioneers of Alaska.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitka_Pioneer_Home

Then you arrive at the pier and right in front of you is Baranhof Castle on Russian Hill (where the first US flag was raised after we purchased Alaska from Russia.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/aspunits/southeast/baranofcastle.htm

There is a shuttle (hop on/hop off) bus with about 7 stops (I think it is $10) with a stop right at the pier.

Then on to the center of town where there is a beautiful Russian Orthodox Cathedral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Michael%27s_Cathedral_(Sitka,_Alaska)

Then on to the Raptor Center to learn about our National Bird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Raptor_Center

Then a pathway out the back side of the Raptor Center will take you through the National Forest back to the Information Center

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitka_National_Historical_Park

We saw Russian memorial and totems, then local dancers at the information center.

This is a pretty good map showing the various things to see in Sitka

http://mappery.com/Sitka-Downtown-Map

Sorry for the long post, but when I got started talking about Sitka, I just had to relay some of what we found there.

Then when we did the second trip, I chose a cruisetour that went inland to the Yukon and interior Alaska. I think Dawson City Yukon was my favorite stop on that 11 day tour.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide to do. Alaska is awesome!

This May, yes.

Yeah, if adding extra days is not an option then I'd stick with your original cruise. Plus, IMO you have one of the best RT Seattle itineraries out there with Glacier Bay & Sitka :)

Myself, I never do any one ways, without many more days added. My preference. YOU will have to figure out yours?

Sitka is a big highlight- determine, if that area is of a "priority". With that comes a route with the least scenery on Alaska cruises. Seattle sailings, have the same 7 days as any other cruise. Problem is, they have to add a Canada stop.

Archived