Orient vs Mullet

Caribbophile

It's been 25 years since I've been to St. Martin & I remember liking both Orient & Mullet Bay beaches but can't remember which one I liked better. This time I will be on a cruise stop & want to go to one of these 2 beaches. Being that the ship docks in Phillipsburg, does that mean that Mullet on the Dutch side is more convenient to the port, or not necessarily so? If someone could compare the distances & taxi fares to these 2 beaches from cruise port I'd really appreciate it. Also opinions on which is the more attractive of the 2 since I can't remember. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the European side of Orient is a nude beach--not ideal for everyone. We went to Orient, but went down far enough where people were clothed. Believe me--the ones that we nude or half-nude, where the ones that needed to be wearing bathing suits!!:eek:

I think Mullet is more commercial and "vacationy". In Dec Orient was SUPER-rough. Are you sunning ro swimming? Ar shopping? Orient is more private and relaxing. But amenities, shopping close at Mullet.

Mullet more commercial than Orient? In which ways? Orient has stores, countless beach bars, a massage booth and water sports. Mullet has Rosie's and chair and umbrella rentals and not much else unless things have changed since last summer. Other than Great Bay beach that is the town of Philipsburg beach I can't think of a more commercial beach on the island than Orient. It is a nice beach, that is for sure but I don't consider it a private beach at all. The end by the Mont Vernon complex is quieter and lacks services such as a washroom and chair rentals.

Keep in mind that the European side of Orient is a nude beach--not ideal for everyone. We went to Orient, but went down far enough where people were clothed. Believe me--the ones that we nude or half-nude, where the ones that needed to be wearing bathing suits!!:eek:

All of Orient Beach is on the French side, and is thus topless acceptable.

The .3 mile section of the 1.3 mile beach located in front of Club Orient (and a tiny sliver of beach at the far northern end) is clothing OPTIONAL.

I guess beauty is still in the mind of the beholder.

gary

I think Mullet is more commercial and "vacationy". In Dec Orient was SUPER-rough. Are you sunning ro swimming? Ar shopping? Orient is more private and relaxing. But amenities, shopping close at Mullet.

What karysa said, and for the record, the end of Orient Beach down in front of Club Orient is rarely rough, as it is fairly well sheltered.

gary

For those visiting the island on a weekend. We usually avoid Mullet on the weekends because it is the beach on the Dutch side of the island that is the most popular for the island residents to hang out at and hold their family gatherings at.

We have been to both beaches and I think I liked Mullet a bit better than Orient. Now, the last time we have been to Mullet was back in 2006 so idk if much has changed since then but when we went, there was very few, if any, stores on the beach. There was also a nice little reef on the end of the beach where there were a lot of fish which made for decent snorkeling. Although Mullet is smaller, I thought it was quieter and had more natural beauty than Orient b/c it seemed more commercialized with all of its stores on the beach. Don't get me wrong, Orient was still very nice but I preferred Mullet. And the airport is nearby so if anyone in your group would like to go to Maho Beach as well, it's probably a short taxi ride there. Hope this helps a little!

Archived